Students not in band or chorus

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by teach34, Aug 23, 2011.

1. teach34

teach34 New Member

Aug 23, 2011

Students at my school have the option to do band, chorus, both, or neither. Band meets for 45 minutes every third day and chorus meets for 45 minutes every sixth day. I have let students do homework when they are not in band or chorus in the past (I only assign about 15 minutes each night), but this has caused students to drop out of band/chorus just so they can do their homework.

I wanted to see if anyone had some ideas of what to do with the students who are not in band or chorus. Some kids are in one or the other and some kids aren't in either. I have been struggling trying to find a meaningful activity to do during that time since not all of my students are in the room.

Thanks!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Independent reading

Independent study projects

Time with technology

4. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

I was left with very few kids (7) when my band kids left so I did health walks with them. We walked at least a mile around the school. Talked about nature and had great discussions. (I got the ok from my principal at the time).

5. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 23, 2011

At my school kids are responsible for whatever they miss during band. I just keep teaching. Having said that, I only lose about 6 or 7 kids. And I have been known to change plans around, so that what they are missing is easily made up.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2011

We use independent reading, but you could also try a math game for some of that time.

I like the idea of walking.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2011

I was going to say I was in band...so on our sectional days they would go on with reg teaching on full band days 2 times a week, they would do some sort of review or something with cleaning up the room or maybe rearranging it or something of that nature. Full band was I think like Tuesday & Fridays or something like that.

8. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

You could have an extra assignment/unit just for them to work on during this time. Something easy, like maybe an independent study on nature or something.

If your students are responsible enough, you could see if they could be "reading buddies" for the first or second grade classes. They could do 1 on 1 reading work with the younger students.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 18, 2011

How about art/art history? The kids would still get some fine arts enrichment, and it would be fun and educational :)

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 18, 2011

I've had students go help in the library before.