Students Making their own book: theme polar bears

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by bamagirl10, Dec 30, 2006.

1. bamagirl10

bamagirl10 Rookie

Dec 30, 2006

Does anyone have any creative ideas in regards to having the students make a polar bear book?:confused: We will be studying polar bears for 1 week. Any ideas will be appreciated. My kinders are all at different stages of reading and writing.

Thanks

3. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Dec 31, 2006

How about reading Polar Bear, Polar Bear What do you hear? ... there are lots of ideas here at this site -- also it has "coloring pages" that can be used as shape books. You could even do a twist on it by having your students go outside, blind fold them and ask them to listen to the sounds of your city/area, etc. And then have them make a book about the sounds of winter in your city. The ones who can't write could concentrate on drawing pictures of the things they "hear" and others could do a writing/drawing combo.

http://www.dltk-teach.com/books/brownbear/sequel.htm

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 31, 2006

Have you checked out anything available on the Discovery channel website or from National Geographic?

5. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Dec 31, 2006

Oh, I just remembered one more thing, on www.Learningpage.com in the monthly themes section they have a great fact sheet on many animals including the polar bear. I'm using the emporer penguin one this week with my kiddos. You do have to register but it's free and there is TONS of info on all kinds of stuff there.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2006

You could paint their palm and fingers white, press on light blue paper. The four fingers are legs, the thumb is the bear's head. Use black marker for eyes and nose....

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jan 1, 2007

don't forget to check under themes and printable here on atoz. There is a fun maze you could include in your book. There are other activities.