Students knowing your first name

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by sjcgirl07, Apr 27, 2006.

1. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Apr 27, 2006

ok..so i am a intern in a 4th grade classroom..and the students have been bothering me for awhile to know my first name. I wouldnt tell them but only told them 2 things that it started with a m and it was 6 letters. But they kept asking and wouldn't leave it alone. Even after i didn't see them for 2 weeks, i came in tuesday and they still kept asking. Naming any name they could come up with even names that didn't start with that letter thinking i gave them the wrong letter to mess them up and coming up with names that aren't even names at all. I kept telling them to just call me by my last name but they still kept bothering. So today my internship teacher messed up and called me by my first name when we were talking to the kids. And they kept bringing it up all day and wouldn't give it up that they knew it. So i kept reinforcing that they cant use that in the classroom. I am worried about this because I am teaching next thursday and my intern advisor is coming in the classroom to suprivise and evaluate and i don't want my kids using my first name and my suprivisor saying something about it or whatever because they are supposed to see me as a teacher..anyone have any suggestions on how to get the kids to realize they can only use my last name in the classroom.

3. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Apr 27, 2006

I always tell my students my first name but I make it clear at the beginning that it is not appropriate to address me that way. I am an adult and they are kids.

4. Miss ShutterBug

Miss ShutterBug Rookie

Apr 27, 2006

My 2nd graders (while student teaching) never knew my first name. They asked...and I just kinda changed the subject and never really told them, I don't even think all of them know their own teachers first name, so I wasn't sure if I should tell them.

But anyway...I shared a book with them on my last day, that I wrote "All About Me" when I was in 1st grade, and it has my name in it, and they absolutely LOVED that they found it out. I've been back twice and its never come up, they still call me by my last name (and I'm just volunteering now)

I don't know if its the age difference? Or they forgot or what...but your kids should be over it by now. Start disciplining if they continue to make a big deal about it, because you don't need your supervisor seeing their behavior when they come. EEK!

5. srh

srh Devotee

Apr 27, 2006

The grade level probably makes the difference. I teach Kindergarten, and I shared my name with students when studying the letter "S." (We always talk about names that start with....) But by the time that came up, the established routine was calling me by my surname, as would be expected, and it's never been an issue. In fact, I think it actually lets them know you're a little more human--you have a first name! You could always remind them that you "trust" them to do the right thing, though, and NOT call you by that name. After all, they wouldn't call the principal by his/her first name, right? I wouldn't worry too much about it, and if your supervisor does happen to overhear a slip-up, just explain that your name was part of a "getting to know me" session and that they otherwise call you by your last name. (I student taught in a fifth grade class and they were also very curious and insistent. I shared with them too, and they were satisfied. They like to be trusted.)

6. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Apr 27, 2006

Sorry to tell you this (now) but the only reason it's a big deal is because you made it such a big deal that they couldn't know (but I suppose you've figured that out). In the future I would recommend you try to change the subject first. If that doesn't work just tell them. I've rarely had a problem. My name badge has my name and the kids see it and ask, "Your real name's Jennifer?" To which I respond "Miss H___ is my real name. Jennifer is my first name." Basically that's the last I hear of it. Now you just have to ignore it and make sure you do not respond when they call you by it. They'll get the hint. Don't worry it's not going to really make a difference in the long run.

7. ilithiya

ilithiya Rookie

Apr 28, 2006

The students in both of the classrooms I'm in know my first name.

The 3rd graders call me Miss Jeanette simply because I'm more comfortable with that, and their teacher is okay with it too. In the kindergarten class, the teachers refer to me as Mrs C, but if the kids call me by my first name, I certainly don't mind.

I realize that it's polite, proper, and respectful to address a teacher by Mr/Mrs/Miss and their last name, but if I'm calling them by their first names, why shouldn't they be allowed the same? My opinion is that allowing them do do this brings everyone closer to being on the same level, rather than me being left as some unreachable and (negatively) authoritarian figure.

Just my $0.02...

Illy

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2006

I don't mind my students knowing my first name, although they know not to use it. They know quite a bit about me...but not my age!!!

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 28, 2006

My kids know my first name, most come to class knowing it (small town). I sign notes to the parents with it. They see it. They don't address me that way. I wouldn't mind Miss Christy, but the school says no, so that's fine.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 28, 2006

Our first names are on our name tags at my school, including the principals' and assist. principals'. Really, it is no big deal that students know our first names. Knowing first names are important as you will find out when you ask some students what their mom and dad's first names are and they give you a blank stare or say mommy and daddy.

I had one student try to address me by my first name and I told him that I do not respond to students who call me that name and that was that.

11. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2006

I also tell them my name but tell them they have to call me Mrs.___because I am their teacher. Its never a big deal.

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Apr 28, 2006

My students also know my first name. They call me Ms. _____ and would never dream of using my first name, but they certainly know what it is. Many of the other teachers in the building call me by my first name when the students are around so they hear it that way and I also sign notes to parents with both my first and last name so they would see my name that way as well.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2006

My second graders know my name- they never use my first name (although I have been called MOM) It's just a natural curiosity for them to want to know.....How about having them earn a letter in your a day for good behavior? Maybe use cards like 'wheel of fortune' and then when they finally earn your whole name, put the cards AWAY to symbolize and reinforce that it is not a name to be used by students.....

14. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Apr 28, 2006

I also believe it is a natural curiosity for students to know your first name. I introduce myself by full name the first day of school. If I know the kids full name, they should know mine. I also let them know they need to call me by my last name because I am their teacher and it is a respect issue. They understand- they hear me called by my last name throughout the school day by other staff, the principal, and the others. Not to mention the parents address me by my last name. It is not an issue.

15. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Apr 28, 2006

Students know my name

I am a sub in our new district. The school I taught in before was very small, so all of the students knew our first names. They never used them in school but sometimes out of school they did. We always make sure our own two kids always use Mr., Mrs., Ms, or Miss when they meet adults in public. They are only allowed to call very close friends by their first names. I know a little old fashioned but we feel it is important for respect.

Had a funny happen last week when I was subbing. I had taken the class out to recess and the pre-school students came out at the same time. Most of them know me from subbing in their classroom. They walked by me and said Hi Mrs. H... All except one little boy who's family we are close friends with. He walked by and said Hey and my first name. He thought he was cool knowing my first name :cool: So after I got done giggling to myself I walked over to him and talked to him privately and told him when we were in school he should call me Mrs. H. He said, but I already know your name! Finally got him to understand why he should call me by Mrs. So after school that day I was walking by their house and he yelled at me "What do I have to call you now?" He is such a cute little guy :)

16. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Apr 28, 2006

I feel that if the kids know your first name........ that makes your more of a real person to them. If you come out with it in the begining then tell them you don't want them to address you using your first name I thik they will listen and want to apease you.

Honest to goodness when I was young, I believed the teachers lived at school, I never associated them as living in the "real world" with families, grocery shopping, and such..... I guess I just believd teachers were a species of their own......... nieve kid I guess.

17. Pecas

Pecas Companion

Apr 28, 2006

I have two students in my class who I worked with last year at a day-care center. They called me by my first name at the center, but here at school, it's Mrs. _______. It's funny, though, because they were confused at first and said "I thought your last name was ______. I said, well, I got married over the summer! :) One of them slipped up a couple times in the beginning of the year and called me by my first name, but he always caught it and corrected himself. I think kids are accustomed to addressing teachers as Mrs./Mr./Ms. so it's not a big deal.

I have a problem with knowing whether to address my fellow teachers as Mrs./Mr. or first name. I like to use their surname, but I often slip and call them their first name when other students are around. I hope it doesn't bother them!!!

18. lilwrobo

lilwrobo New Member

Apr 28, 2006

:)

Honestly kids know you have a life outside of school and they are interested. I think that is nice for children to ask you those questions and they are happy with knowing the answer. Most children know they are not allowed to call you by any other name than MS. ____________. I teach 1st grade and the kids are so excited to know that MS. ____________ is not your first name. I also student taught in 4th grade and when I first got there I told the children my first name and it comes up (in both 4th and 1st) every so often. (They just ask what your name is again b\c they forget... or they tell their friend they know your name). It's not a big deal unless you make it a big deal. If you make it a point that you want it kept secret they are just going to push for it even more. And after they know it... it turns into no big deal after a day. Your not a bad teaching because they know your name. They are just interested about you and want to know everything about you. lisa

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2006

As has been said, everyone has a first name and kids are just curious. I agree that if the kids are told why they are not to address the teacher by his or her first name, it won't be a hassle. I just wouldn't make it an issue.

BTW, I don't think you have to worry about the observation, usually when there is a visitor the kids are all angels. and the teachers worry about who stole the real class:)

20. Pecas

Pecas Companion

Apr 28, 2006

On a side note, the first time my university supervisor came to watch me, I had just gotten engaged, and my CT told my whole class, they were so excited. So, the next day, when he showed up, they all thought that was my fiance. I just had to laugh because he was a 60 year old man!!!! That's kids for you.

21. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2006

LOL ....:) and congrats on your engagement

22. NCP

NCP Comrade

Apr 28, 2006

Our school hosts an open house the night before school starts, and so often I introduce myself to the parents and students at the same time. I always introduce myself to the student first as Mrs. (last name), but then will say to the parent I'm (first name, last name) and the student is still standing there. In my school all adults are referred to as Mr/Mrs (last name), so it has never been a problem with them knowing our first names, and trying to use them, which are also printed on our name tags. I also get a fair share of being called Mom though!

23. janlee

janlee Devotee

Apr 28, 2006

What's wrong with students knowing your first name? You're a person just like they are and were given a first name by your parents when you were born. My students all know my first name. They hear teachers, aides, and even some parents use it. But did a student ever refer to me by it. In all of my 20+ years of teaching not one of them has and if they did it was probably said by mistake. My students also know some information about my life outside of school, what I enjoy doing, what foods I like, info on my two boys. Why make yourself into some superior being. Just be yourself.

24. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Apr 28, 2006

We all wear name tags and have our first names on them. In fact, I have fun with my students about my first name. I give them hints and have them try to figure it out. My name starts with a J and has eight letters, and I come up with rhyming words. They get a kick out of it.

They also know to be respectful and not call me by my first name. They love it though.

In fact I work with another teacher, and sometimes it slips out that we call each other by our first names in front of the children. I also use my first name when I set up the heading on the paper or doing examples of projects in the room.

They realize that we are people with lives outside of school.

25. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Apr 28, 2006

My sis-in-law is a teacher in the school where I want to teach and we have the same last name, so I'm figuring that the kids will have to know our first names because it will be confusing. Besides, I've known most of these kids since they were born and at church, etc. I wouldn't mind Miss Donna, but I don't know the school policy on it.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 28, 2006

Some teachers may not care that students call them by their first name, but they have to say Miss, Mrs., Ms., or Mr. in front of it.

My mom even suggested that when I have my own classroom, I should have the kids call me Miss (my first name), especially since I'm not married yet, then there won't be any confusion w/ them calling me Miss (my last name) & then Mrs. (married last name) later on.

27. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2006

I got married in the middle of the year and my first graders had NO PROBLEM with my name change in the middle of the year. At my school they have to call us by our last names.

28. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2006

My kids all call me by my last name and at the beginning it was big deal to them to find out my"real" name which I told them. I even use my name when I need examples for things. No big deal. Oh and yes I have been called Mom many times and that's OK but I tell them please don't call me Grandma!

29. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Apr 28, 2006

My students have also asked me what my name is and I've had no problem telling them - they're actually thrilled with that tidbit of information. It's almost like they know a secret.

But they've never called me anything but Mrs. D - and just like Rosie - the occasional "Mom"! They know that's just the way it is.

30. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Apr 28, 2006

Do parents call you by your first name or use your first name in email and written correspondence? I've always gone with Mrs. __ and never use the first names of parents. Am I really old fashioned?? I don't live in the city I've taught in for 20 years and just never wanted a first name "relationship" with kids or parents.

31. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2006

Many teachers in our school address parents by their first names. I am with you, 5thgraderocks, I like to keep it professional. I do have some parents call me by my first name. These are ones that I no longer have their children and we have become friendly.

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2006

Many of the parents of my students call me by my first name. These tend to be the parents I have the closest relationship with and those I speak with the most, and I use their first names as well. They always use "Mrs. C." when their children are involved in the conversations. On the flip side, there are other parents for whom I will always be "Mrs."...I need to establish and maintain that small demonstration of respect.

33. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 29, 2006

Your administration may have a problem with your students calling you by your first name even if they put Miss or Ms. in front of it. The teachers who I know who got married mid-year either just asked their students to call them by their married last name or waited until the next year before having the expectation that all of their students call them by their married name. You may also have a problem with co-workers remembering your married name too, especially if you are hired in a school with a large faculty!:D

34. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2006

I think it's just me but I tend to thing that Miss (first name) is something that is only appropriate for pre-k and K. After that I think some form of a last name is appropriate.

35. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2006

Thats funny! They call me mom sometimes too! I think thats pretty normal for the little guys :)

36. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 29, 2006

When I worked in an after school care program all the teachers went by first names. Kids called us by first name too. As the setting was more informal I didn't care. The kids still respected us as the authority figures. In the classroom all the students call teachers by title and last name. My students know my first name because all my personal items, including classroom library books, fave my name in them. But they know how to address me properly and we don't deviate.

37. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 29, 2006

I have also been called "Mom" or by another teacher's name. It happens quite frequently actually.

38. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 29, 2006

There is someone in my class calling me "Mom" everyday. I have one student who calls me "Mom" so often that I call him "son" when he does not self-correct himself. One day he asked me, "Can I call you Mom instead?" - how sweet:angel: I had a little giggle and explained to him that he has a Mom at home and I thought that she will be sad if he was calling his teacher mom.

39. Pecas

Pecas Companion

Apr 29, 2006

Oh, Thanks, but it was last year...I've been married almost 9 months now. I still slip up and write my maiden name on things, but I tell you, having 30 students call you by your married name really helps drill it home.

I was also thankful that I got my first classroom AFTER I got married, so I didn't have to re-write my name on everything!

40. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 29, 2006

I've been called Dad. ACK. I always tell the students my whole name.
    And if they ask my age I tell them. I don't think it's a big deal.
    Only one has this yr. tried to call me Jaime instead of Ms. B. I told him it wasn't respectful and that he needed to call me Ms. B like everyone else. He has only slipped up once.

Last year my behavior student always called me, Jaime than would correct himself. I think it is because his parents referred to me as Jaime.

41. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Apr 29, 2006

I don't usually tell the students my age mainly because I'm only 23 and some of them (being 11 and 12 themselves) have siblings my age! I don't want them (or their parents) to not take me seriously.