Students excited about reading :)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sundrop, Nov 7, 2009.

1. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Nov 7, 2009

Just wanted to share with you...

I am teaching in the Library and Computer Lab. I put up a new AR wall this year with a Harry Potter theme. I purchased banners for each of the houses, a sorting hat, a robe, glasses, and a Hogwarts hat. The first week of school I took a picture of each student wearing the Hogwarts garb and had them draw a House name from the Sorting hat. I rigged this so each House would have about the same number of students. For second quarter, we are having a challenge among the Houses to see which one can pass the most tests. It started this past week and I am so pleased with how excited the students are about it. They have been reading like crazy! I have seen students in the Library who haven't checked out a book yet this year. I love to see students excited about reading. :)

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2009

It is exciting! I subbed an honors English class last week and I was absolutely thrilled to see students enjoy reading. I didn't think it happened anymore!

As a matter of fact, I've often thought that the Twilight series might be good to use as curriculum for older kids. I've seen kids with NO interest in reading devour this book series.

Glad to hear you had such success with Harry Potter.

4. forkids

forkids Cohort

Nov 8, 2009

I love it! Harry Potter is a wonderful series that get kids excited about reading and I love the way you're using it. Great work! (I hope no parents complain and want to ban it - ridiculous)

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2009

I've found that it often just takes the right book or genre to get kids excited about reading. My district uses a reading workshop approach- kids are reading self-selected (with some guidance) books at their reading level. I find that since the kids are reading books that they have chosen and can read fluently and with understanding, they are motivated intrinsically. Reading is its own reward when you are enjoying it.

6. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Nov 8, 2009

Reading really is its own reward, czacza, when you are choosing books that interest you and reading for enjoyment. The other day in Library, the 3rd graders were voting for the next book they wanted me to read aloud. I had 3 books picked and they had to vote for the one they thought looked the most interesting. It turned out they voted for the one that did not have an AR test and were kind of bummed about it. I took the opportunity to explain the idea of reading for enjoyment and not just AR points!

7. iteach5

iteach5 New Member

Nov 9, 2009

What great ideas! I read Harry Potter to my 5th graders to start the year and they want more! I teach at a low income school with more than half of the students language learners so the book would have been way too challenging for most to read on their own, but was definitely at their interest level. Since sharing the book, I have used all sorts of HP references when teaching (muggles vs. wizards for rounding numbers, using magic words to multiply and divide, invisibility cloak hiding decimal points etc.) I hope to read more of the series, the kids are dying to hear more.

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2009

I love my 3rd graders this year--they often will come up to me and say, "This book isn't AR, but can I still read it? It looks good!" It's so good to see them just wanting to read a book :)
    (My 5th graders never would have done that last year...)