Students evaluating teachers

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by newbie12, Jul 15, 2018.

1. newbie12

newbie12 Rookie

Jul 15, 2018

Hi,

As part of my performance appraisal, my yr 9 maths class have to complete a teacher evaluation survey, which will be sent to my superiors for review. Unfortunately I asked my students to complete an unofficial feedback form only a few weeks ago, and the comments I received were very hurtful, saying I'm awful, incompetent, useless, don't care etc. I work with difficult students, and maybe I'm not the best teacher in the world, but I do absolutely everything I can to help them succeed.

How should I handle this situation?

Thanks,

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 16, 2018

Ask them these questions:

1) What are some things that you got out of this course?

2) Do you feel you have a better understanding of mathematics after having taken this course?

3) Did you feel prepared for the exams? If not, please state why you feel you were unprepared?

4) Did you actively take notes? Did you participate in class and come to class ready to learn? Did you study for formal assessments?

5) Did you ask the teacher for help when you struggled?

6) Name some ways in which you felt the course could have been taught better?

7) On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being extremely easy and 10 being extremely difficult, how would you rate the difficulty of my exams?

8) Was my wording ever confusing on exams or otherwise (for example, verbal instructions)?

9) Did you feel what you learned from each unit related to each chapter test?

10) What were the most difficult aspects of he course? Easiest?

11) Next time, how do you feel you would have been better prepared? (For example: less homework, being given practice quizzes/tests, having more in-class review, being provided comprehensive study guides, etc.)

txbelle and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  4. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jul 16, 2018

Sounds harsh but take the feedback on board. You may not be completely useless or incompetent - kids can be very insensitive - but I think that the overall feedback from them on the way you teach them and how they learn from you is negative. So that might be something to reflect on and improve for next year. You could have an honest conversation with them on what you could have done to help them more. It’s not the easiest thing to do - but this is how we become better teachers. It’s also interesting to note that the nagative words they used (incompetent, useless) are more in relation to describing your teaching style or pedagogy and not you as a person, or I suspect that they may have used different adjectives that are more character/personality related.
    If you have that honest conversation with them, you can let your admin know that you have taken their feedback on board, you accept and are aware of some shortcomings and are working on improvements for next year. It’s much more positive and proactive than to just say that they were difficult students.

5. newbie12

newbie12 Rookie

Jul 16, 2018

I know why they don't like me. My relationship with most of them in not great due to me having to enforce boundaries with (daily) detentions and suspensions. I believe in restorative, positive behaviour approach, and work very hard to recognise and reward good behaviour, but I do still need to have consequences. Unfortunately there are some in the class who project their pain outwards by calling me, and other teachers, nasty names instead of taking responsibility for failing a test after skipping school for weeks.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2018

Before the official feedback, have an honest conversation with the class. Acknowledge their frustration that you sense from their prior feedback. Address the major trends and commonalities that were resilts of that survey. Highlight examples of how you have worked to improve your practice while supporting them as learners. Explain that you learned a lot from the previous survey and that this form is different in that it is official.
    Truthfully Im not sure I love high school students’ feedback being uber important in your eval. Your supervisors, admin and professional peers would seem to be better evaluators, IMO.

bella84 likes this.
  7. Coach Fallon

Coach Fallon Rookie

Jul 16, 2018

Honestly, teacher evaluation are the most biased source of feedback you can receive. The students answer will dictate their feelings towards you on that particular moment. Example, if you all just had a ice cream and pizza party before the evaluation, then you would receive 100% positive feedback. In contrast, if you just assigned the class extra homework for misbehaving, then expect all negative feedback. I solely believe that they should modify that process, to make it less biased

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. futuremathsprof

Jul 16, 2018

Exactly, that’s why I wrote what I wrote to deter that from happening.

11. newbie12

newbie12 Rookie

Jul 16, 2018

My questions were pretty much the same as what was written by futuremathsprof. It was actually a post-test reflection form to identify why 2/3 of the class failed (not just my class, but other yr 9 classes as well).
    Less than half were negative just blaming me, blaming the textbook, blaming the school, blaming the quality of the test. I leant one of the boys my pen (never brings one along) and he wrote down how I never do anything for him.

12. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 16, 2018

I had a former colleague who participated in a teacher exchange program between the U.S. and Australia. Although that was 20 years ago, I recall him describing his experience as a nightmare - students generally didn't pay attention in class and often didn't bother to complete assignments. Interestingly, his counterpart here in the states had a holiday in comparison! Everyone here seems to know what they would do in the OPs situation, but I tend to take a broader view of the problem which may be systemic due to Australia's liberal policies. The problems between the two countries are quite similar and warrant an honest appraisal by all stakeholders - we can't expect either dysfunctional system to improve one classroom at a time. Here's an interesting article.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  13. futuremathsprof

Jul 16, 2018

Schools in which this kind of behavior is commonplace should have police officers stationed throughout. That way, when troublemakers do the more egregious offenses they get arrested.

There needs to be harsher discipline for students besides a time out, a step into the hall, a detention, or a suspension. Expulsion, prosecution, an hour spent cleaning the school after school lets out under the watchful eyes of campus police, lose of priviliges, being put on restrictions, not being able to go on field trips or attend any school events, etc.