Students' Desks - first day

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by blue678, Jul 24, 2010.

1. blue678

blue678 Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

Hi!
    I have a bit of a random question...I like to put a few items on the students' desks on the first day of school. In the past, I've tried to give them something related to our class theme (ex: wild west notepads, erasers, etc.). This year, I could do the same thing, but I'm hoping to be a bit more creative...

Was wondering if anyone would share what they put on their students' desks on the first day.

Thanks!

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2010

I try to avoid "giving" them something for nothing on the first day because I worry it will set a tone about me that I prefer not to have. Instead, why not give them an incentive chart where they can earn stamps for good behavior. These incentive charts can then be submitted, when full, for a prize. I do this with my students and it really does help to encourage good daily behavior from day one. Each incentive chart holds 25 stamps. Children may only receive one stamp per day at the teacher's discretion. I buy both the incentive charts and prizes at the Dollar Tree to keep costs down.

4. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 24, 2010

Last year, we gave out mechanical pencils for purely selfish reasons, we didn't want have to listen to the pencil sharpener all day. I'll do the same this year.

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 24, 2010

Gosh, I feel the same way. I like to use them as prizes throughout the year. I even buy the refills in bulk. I think I'm the only teacher in my school who likes them.

I always put a welcome pencil with a fun eraser on their desk. Even though most students have enough sense to make sure they have a pencil on the first day, they are not always sharpened. Instead of having 25-30 students at the sharpener for whatever we have to write or label first, they can just pull out the welcome pencil.

6. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 24, 2010

Oh yeah, I also put a business card magnet from Vista Print for them to take home and put on their refrigerator. I tell them to use it for important school announcements.

It's copied the design from someone else last year. It says "You're my favorite student" at the top, and in small print underneath it says, "Don't tell the others!"

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2010

I've always given a pen and pencil. Most of the time, I have given a personal sharpener.

8. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

I give them a cool pencil and a bookmark.

9. BES2010

BES2010 Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

I think that I will be giving out a pencil and maybe a personal sharpener on the first day. Especially since they will have a "getting to know you" handout on their desk. They can fill it out with their new pencil.