Students Create Rules?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by NYSTeacher, Jun 30, 2006.

1. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jun 30, 2006

Hi, I'll be starting my first year teaching, 5th grade, and was thinking of having the studnets think of rules together instead of just posting rules. I thought of doing this the first day or second. I thought it may help build classroom spirit, respect, and if the students have a sense of ownership witht eh calss rules it may help them follow the rules since they created them.

Any ideas?

Has anyone else tried this before?

3. nyteacher01

nyteacher01 Companion

Jun 30, 2006

I do this every year. I have the kids first think of three rules they would like to add individually. Then they come together as small groups and discuss each of their ideas. After that we discuss the rules as a whole class and I make a list on the board. We then see which rules we can combine. Usually leaving us with a few. Of course, I guide them so that the rules are similar to the list that I have.

Ex.
    1. Raise your hand to speak or leave your seat.
    2. Keep your hands and your feet to yourself.
    3. Listen while others are speaking.
    4. Respect each other and their property.

I don't usually use the "standard" rules: no gum chewing in class, no running in the halls, etc. In fifth grade they should know these so we just discuss them.

Also, when they are working in class, we try to make the rules positive by not using the word DON'T. Instead of Don't talk while others are speaking, we use Listen while others are speaking. It also chllenges the students when they are "coming up" with the rules.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 30, 2006

You may also choose to ask them to think of consequences for not follow the classroom rules and also have them sign the classroom rules - either independently (sent home and both student and parent signs) or you could make a poster and everyone signst the poster.

Make sure that you have some rules and consequences in mind.

5. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jun 30, 2006

I ahve done this but you need to be careful in how much power you give the studnets. I would have them sign the rules on the poster as well as with their parents

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2006

I've always staged my rules. Wrote scenerios on cards and they come up with a rule to help solve the issue. Each scenerio had already fit one of my rules that I thought was important but it gave the kids ownership which works well at that age.

7. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 3, 2006

This works very well with this age group, 4th and 5th grade. The know what realistic expectations are. Along with the rules, also have them come up with consequences or whatever you might want to call what happens if the rules are not followed (we are starting a new character ed program in our school in the fall and it seems the word consequences is not in the new vocabulary - isn't that why we need to develop the whole darn program anyway!?!?)

8. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I spent my 1st week in an ED/BD program --where the behavior program had lists of appropriate and inappropriate behaviors--explaining simply what appropriate and inappropriate MEANT.

9. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 15, 2006

Our school has three set rules: Be Ready, Be Responsible, B Respectful. I then have the kids determine what that looks like at our grade level, so that's where they get to determine specifics. It makes for great discussion, and they feel they have ownership.

10. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 15, 2006

In my classroom we follow all school rules and then I have 2

1. Be prepared to learn
    2. Be respectful

We do a lesson on what each of these mean and make a poster to leave up for the year. It's quite effective when I refer to a poster and remind the kids that THEY came up w/ the rule definitions!