students checking out

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by chemistrynerd, May 29, 2014.

1. chemistrynerd

chemistrynerd Rookie

May 29, 2014

I teach HS Juniors in Chemistry (they're pretty weak this year) but we have 2 weeks of school before finals and 5 block classes left and they have definitely checked out. At this point, I almost want to end the unit and assign a project because they have totally checked out. If it's something big enough they might do it, but I don't know. Anyone have any ideas- they are honestly not in the mood to do ANYTHING even fun stuff...

3. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

May 29, 2014

I would switch to a project and have some kind of reward for those who finish it.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 30, 2014

I understand. This is when I ramp up the point worth (at least superficially) to scare them into doing it for their grade. You can still make it fun though.

For chemistry, I always found the CSI activities to be fun. You can also do water treatment and testing. Or you can engineer materials like making superballs, and stuff.

We're doing a ton of projects at this time of the year, and I'm giving a final even though we don't have to give a final because otherwise they'll feel like they're done for the year.

There is also one large project I assigned that will be due in a few weeks, as well as a bunch of in-class ones.

But still every few days we'll chop it up with a short episode of Cosmos or something so they don't get worn out.

At this time of year it's also hard for us to have a full day because there are so many events going on like jogathons, band concerts, 8th grade picnics, class photos, graduation rehearsals, etc. so it's hard to get a full day to teach.

5. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

May 30, 2014

I feel your pain. This is the nicest time of year here, and the kids want to be outside. I do a project at the end of the year, and stress that it is an excellent way to boost marks.

6. chemistrynerd

chemistrynerd Rookie

May 30, 2014

any hs science teacher have a chemical reactions/stoich project that i can assign?

7. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

May 30, 2014

found this online:

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/editions/chemistry-matters/6069

4 Reaction stoichiometry: How can we make chalk?

Students will develop a process for producing calcium carbonate (chalk) that is both cost-effective and efficient. They will evaluate a variety of possible reactants for both the raw material costs and the percent yield of the overall reaction. They will create a small-scale process in the chemistry lab and then evaluate what it would take to scale up the process.