Students CHEATING using their ipod???

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by La Profesora, Jan 30, 2007.

1. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Jan 30, 2007

Yesterday, while administering a test to my students, I noticed a girl kept looking off to her side. I quietly rounded the room, and approached her from behind. I thought she had some answers written on her desk. She didn't hear me walking up because she was listening to her ipod. She quickly covered her it. I moved her hand away, and she had typed her entire review sheet into the ipod.

I learned later that when a student plugs an ipod into any computer, they can copy any file to the "notes" section of the memory, just like as if the ipod were a flash drive. They can then open the file on the ipod and view it on the screen!

Have any of you heard of this before? What other ways have you heard of students cheating??? My students are pre-AP and VERY intelligent and computer savvy, so if you can give me a heads, up, I will appreciate it!!!

:thanks:

3. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jan 30, 2007

Students can cheat using almost any device nowadays. Most electronic devices have some sort of notepad or voice recorder on it. My sister has an MP3 player that's very small. It comes with a voice recorder and whatever she records she can hear in the earphones. The same goes with cell phones or electronic organizers. If I were you, I wouldn't let any electronics in your classroom. My sister is in jr. high and that is how it is in her class. If her teacher sees it, she confiscates it and the student can't have it back until the parent comes in for it.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 30, 2007

Ours aren't permitted to have any electronic devices in the classrooms.

I'm sure they'd try about anything, though.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 30, 2007

Whatever happen to the good ol' days of writing answers on the bottom of your shoe or having a teeny-tiny cheatsheet? LOL iPod cheating...

Apparently they haven't heard of learning sign language to help a friend cheat. I KNOW... HUSH!! DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!!! LOL

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2007

LOL on the bottom of sneakers...that reminds me of a growing pains episode where mike seevers wrote the answers on his shoe but ended up not needing the info but was caught anyway!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 30, 2007

If half the energy that goes into cheating (and worrying) went into studying... *sigh*

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2007

I have a non-tech cheating story.

I'm in a Catholic HS, which doesn't mean the kids don't cheat. We have monthly mass, and both teachers and Seniors act as Eucharistic Ministers, distributing Holy Communion.

One time one of the Chem teachers was distributing communion. A student came up, with palms upright--- and the notes for the Chem test on them!

Needless to say, they had a little "chat" after mass!

9. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jan 30, 2007

Aliceacc -

That is definately a classic one. You cannot make that one up. Thanks for the laugh.

10. mnteacherguy

mnteacherguy Companion

Jan 30, 2007

When I test I make every student put any cell phone/i-pod/digital device on my desk. I've had too many kids texting answers (on multiple choice tests) and cheating with digital technology.

...It's humorous to see all the electronics on my desk during test days

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 30, 2007

I am shocked and amazed that students are allowed to have ipods and similar devices in the classroom. I never heard of such a thing until recently when my friend was student teaching for the second time.

12. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Jan 30, 2007

I am simply amazed that an ipod would be out during a test, let alone being listened to! ABSOLUTELY NO IPODS OR CELL PHONES SHOULD BE SEEN OR HEARD ON CAMPUS! Sorry.

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 30, 2007

I personally don't bother with the issue, student's are allowed to have cell phones on them as long as they are on silent. They cannot be used during class if I see it it is mine, I do allow my students to use their IPODS when they are doing non-graded work, not tests and quizzes. If I am teaching and I see the IPOD I take it. I never have had student's even try to use and IPOD during a test/quiz. My admin. does not have a problem with this,

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2007

haha.. I remember that one too:cool:

15. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 30, 2007

We used to put formulas and stuff into our graphing calculators... but I really think I learned it because I spent so much time figuring out how to imput it. ;) Of cours,e we also had teachers who told us "if you can figure out how to put it in your calculator, go ahead and use it" and the one math teacher who said "these are the formulas you'll need for the exam. I'm not going to go through and check your calculator or anything, so I just want you to know these are all the ones you'll need."

Gee, with permission like THAT, who needs to get creative? ;)

But it's gotten a lot easier and more creative with regards to cheating now.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 30, 2007

I suppose an iPod could be a pretty good study tool, actually: one could read an assortment of history notes, record the reading onto the iPod, then listen to the notes while jogging or running errands...

17. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Jan 31, 2007

You all are totally correct! Ipods and phones should never be brought to school, seen during class time, or used. We had THIRTY ipods stolen from purses one day. I just needed to put my foot down and say that if I see or hear ANYTHING, I'm picking it up. They are so scared right now, I hope they don't test me. It just stinks to waste my day on ipod patrol when i have teaching to do, and they have learning to do. It just seems like they are tuning me out........

Do I have a right to take the cheating personally? The girl who cheated offended me, and disappointed me :(

18. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jan 31, 2007

None of those devices are allowed on campus here. Of course, I know they have them, but that would just be a double whammy to get caught... cheating and illegal devices....

Yes, that's not a surprise to me, either. Kids know what they can do and possibly get away with!

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 31, 2007

My kidos are not this high tech yet. They simply try to reuse homework passes thinking I wont recognize my own writing. (I put an X on used passes.)

20. kidefl

kidefl Rookie

Jan 31, 2007

You ain't seen cheatin til you've been to Thailand. This is a nation of cheaters and they're good at it. After 25 years in the classroom there are methods still beyond me. I'll get short written paragraph answers that are exactly alike. Now what's the probability of 30 words being the same, in the same order? I get Ss who have never scored over 20% on an exam with a perfect score, out of the blue. It's almost as if they come in the night, crack open my desk and steal the next day's exams. In Thailand 49.5 is a passing mark. Fail a test and the T has you do a re-test, and re-test again until it is passed. And this norm, my friends, includes medial school. Imagine having a 49.5% doctor standing over you, one who most likely cheated to get such a fine mark.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2007

I did the same thing...math was not my forte!!! Another girl & I met a few hours before the exam & put them in!!!!

TeacherGroupie I used to record my vocab & stuff on a tape & listen to it in the car 30-40min drive to school. Reading it, sayin it & listening really helped me!!!

love2teach LOVED that growing pains as well...when he leaned back al I kept saying to "Don't put your feet up" (Like he could hear me!!!)