Students can't get enough of saying "shut up!" to others…a real agonizing annoyance!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by MissPapa, Dec 16, 2012.

1. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Dec 16, 2012

Students who can't stop saying "shut up" to other students: real agonizing annoyance!

So I have a brand new annoyance in my subbing experience: students that just scream out "shut up!!!" to other students. I hate it so much. Even when I tell the students to please watch their language, it doesn't stop. Part of me just wants to have the student leave the classroom, which I know I can't do (actually, a teacher next door took a student with a bad attitude to her classroom for the rest of the day one time, I didn't even have to ask! But I know that's not always going to be an option.)

I don't want to have to be agonized when I'm full-time hopefully by next school year, and I'm pretty strict of a teacher when it comes to bad behavior. I'm pretty sure others have dealt with students like that. How do you deal with it? Thank you!

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 16, 2012

Yes, it's annoying. It doesn't happen too often though. The funny thing is, that when a student turns around and says loudly, 'you guys shut up' the other kids usually listen :) I still don't like it though, and I ask them to not talk like that and let me handle it, but if it works, I don't care.
    What I do hate is when someone stands up and yells crazy loud 'SHUT UP', that I cannot stand. Out of 2 years, it only happened a couple of times. (This is referring in a regular K-12 classroom.)

Take note if a student says shut up to others, and they listen, because this student could be one of the leaders in your classroom.

I noticed in one of my classes an otherwise very quiet kid would tell the others to shut up, but not loudly. It doesn't bother me, in this environment (lock up) you can't expect the kids say 'be quiet'. I noticed that they always listen to him. Then one day he came in late and it took a while for him to settle down. I don't know what he was doing, he wasn't talking, it was more like looking around, etc, so when i asked him to get to work, he actually said "I am, but i gotta get my respect first". I think he was referring to having the others acknowledge that he had arrived, by eye contact, etc. This did confirm that he was a leader in the class, even though it wasn't obvious at all. I told him : 'you've got your respect, now get to work' :)

4. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Dec 17, 2012

That's funny, they do listen. Probably for a second, though lol. All the times I experienced it, though, it's usually loud and obnoxious. Maybe it's because I work in the city, so not sure. I tell the students there will be no foul language or they will get a note sent to the teacher.

I'm sure if they said it quietly, it wouldn't bother me. But I know when I'm full-time, no child of mine is going to be loud and obnoxious, and I will make sure of it ;)

5. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Dec 17, 2012

I'll take note of the students being "leaders", though :) Thanks for the tip!

6. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Dec 17, 2012

I work in the suburbs, and students here still use foul language (even as young as kindergarten :eek:hmy:). I usually sub for a teacher for only one day, but I still try to teach the students to be respectful towards each other. I also always let the teacher know how the day went and how their students behaved.

7. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Dec 17, 2012

Jen84 - That's crazy! Yea I hate when students think they can use foul language in my presence. I always write a report to teachers each time I cover them. Worst part is, if you're just a sub, they won't care and think they can get away with it, even though I warn them that I give a report to their teacher. Sometimes I had luck with the teachers thanking me for warning them about what happened when I was teaching, some just don't care because I am a "sub".

Can't wait to be full-time ;)

8. microbe

microbe Comrade

Dec 17, 2012

I had this one boy in a middle school class that was calling his black classmates the n-word. I wrote his teacher a note, and figured he'd be sent to a counselor to have a long discussion about why that's disrespectful and wrong.

So I'm subbing for a different class at his school a week or two later, and he is grumpy because I apparently got him a week of detention. He was irritated at me because he supposedly did nothing wrong. When I reminded him what he had been doing, he honestly didn't understand why there was a problem with it.

I guess next time I should take the time to explain to kids how they should behave. I'm shocked no one else did.

9. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Dec 17, 2012

There was a student at the school where I worked last year who called his African American teacher the N-word, but in Spanish. A bilingual paraeducator caught the slur and told him that was wrong--he tried to say that he didn't mean it THAT way because he said it in Spanish, like he was just being descriptive rather than calling his teacher a bad name. He got in trouble for it, although I don't know how much he learned, either.

10. MrsPoppy

MrsPoppy Rookie

Dec 28, 2012

I've run into the "shut up" issue, too. Occasionally it has been quietly said, or even whispered to someone, followed by something to the effect of "you're gonna make the sub mad," but it is usually the standing up, look-at-me attitude with a loud shout that causes even more disruption. I usually ignore it the first time and acknowledge a student or group that is on-task. If it happens again, I take that student aside and explain that I find it disruptive and distracting, and that if they can use the class quiet signal instead, it would be really helpful to me. When I phrase it that way, like they'd be doing me a favor, it USUALLY works. However, sometimes I have to do one of the behavior steps (depending on the district either changing their zone, flipping their behavior card, having them fill out a reflection form, or deducting time from their recess, if there is one). That has always been enough to stop it for me. As far as racial slurs, I don't even bother waiting for the teacher to get my note (although I still leave the note). I call the office and send the student out of the room immediately. When they magically reappear 15 minutes later, we continue on with a slur-free day. I'm always told that they never say that in the presence of their normal teacher, and I've never had to do it twice in the same school. I think word gets out that I'm not messing around with that garbage behavior. The one time I didn't have a way to call the office, I made the student sit apart from everyone else, facing the wall through the next subject, and spoke to him once they got started on their independent work. I explained that it is an offensive, disrespectful term, and that he can return to regular participation in the class if he will control his words. That also worked.