Students' Birthdays

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kcbutterfly, Sep 10, 2006.

1. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Sep 10, 2006

What do you do to celebrate the birthdays of your students? I'm a new K teacher, and we celebrate the first birthday in my class tomorrow. :)

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

4. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Sep 10, 2006

I use the carson dellosa birthday crowns and badges. The child can bring in cupcakes or any other treat they like, and they get to pick from the "birthday box". It has simple toys from the dollar store like bubbles, slinkies, playdough, etc.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 10, 2006

I bought a birthday chair cover last yaer from Oriental Trading that I put on the kids chairs for their bday. I have crowns, stickers for them to wear. In the afternoon we have their treat that they have brought in. My principal prefers we do not go overboard b/c it is school. I had a parent last year who wanted to throw a birthday party in the classroom and I didn't allow her.

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2006

Not much. We share a special snack (if the child brings one in) and sing "Happy Birthday." When we do calendar each day, we do talk about the birthdays coming up.

For students with a summer birthday we celebrate half birthdays so each child can have a "special" day.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2006

This is the first year that I will have a birthday box. There are birthday hats and noise makers,a special table cloth, and a birthday story. I ordered pencils from Scholastic today and they will get to choose a pencil that says Happy Birthday on it. They can bring a treat or maybe we'll have something special in the box! I figure it's a way of just having fun for a while and I think the kids need to do that. My first birthday will be Sept. 24th. so we'll see how it goes!

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2006

We sing to the child, we count down on the calendar for days ahead of time, and if the parent brings a treat, we share that with the class. I also send them home a book as a gift from my assistant and myself. That's it. No going overboard here!
    Kim

9. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Sep 12, 2006

In my class we all draw them pictures of what we would give them if we had an unlimited amount of money. We put it together in a book & I write "Your birthday presents from your 1st grade friends" on it.

All the kids love it.

10. herins

herins Companion

Sep 12, 2006

That's adorable! Great idea!

11. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 12, 2006

I have the students write a letter to the special birthday person and make it into a book. Each child gets a 1/2 piece of paper that says, "Dear________, You are special because_____" and they finish the letter. Then, they draw the birthday person a picture. The kids look forward to receiving the book at the end of the day. The kids also get to bring a special treat (if they choose) to share with the class. We sing happy birthday to them as well.:D