Students being ingrates.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SuperSide, Apr 21, 2010.

1. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Apr 21, 2010

How do you politely tell a class that some of them are ingrates?

Here is the situation. I teach adult students. One class I teach is only partially funded, so the students have to pay for the remaining cost (compared to Universities it is cheap). These students are great. They want to learn, they try to learn, and unless they are extremely sick, they always make it to class.

My next class has complete funding. Students don't have to pay a dime. Not only that, but they are funded for twice as many hours. In this class, I find a lot of the students to be fairly ungrateful. They miss classes whenever they feel like it. They complain that the content is boring (it's computers, the basics are always boring (and ya know what, it isn't boring!).

Is there a polite way to say,"hey dummies, to take this course at a University it would cost you more than $1000", show a little more appeciation?

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Apr 21, 2010

I think people appreciate everything more when they have a vested interest in it. The ones who don't pay for the class have no vested interest. It is very sad.

4. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Apr 21, 2010

It really is. I posted this almost as a rhetorical question. I can't very well go up in front of the class and plead for the students to show interest.

I would like to give them somewhat of a reality check.. Maybe show them the cost of similar programs at Universities/Colleges...

I've had many of my previoius students ask me for a reference in my pay classes, and in every reference check I was always asked about student attendance.. I wish I could bring that up, but that would sound too much like a threat.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2010

Well, don't begin by calling them dummies...then you'd have a classroom full of people who are ungrateful and mean.

But I do understand your frustration.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2010

And why not speak to them about attendance? Would that be frowned upon?

7. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Apr 21, 2010

There are a lot of bright students in the class, don't get me wrong. It is frustrating that there are some students who knew what the course was about, signed up, then started pulling this.

I would love to be able to tell these students that if they don't like the course, don't come. We are all adults and it's their responsibility to complete the course.

The frustration is, that low attendance numbers could effect the chances of further funding. Which would hurt many good people.

8. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 21, 2010

Are they there by choice? Or is this like the people who want to be on medicaid/food stamps for more than 6 months and so have to take 30 hours of job-related training every week until they get a job?

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2010

I see. Hmmm...

It would be a difficult situation, I know. What is the purpose? To prepare them for college, the workforce, or both?

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2010

I've told many of my grade 8 students (who are looking for their first jobs this summer), that they are welcome to use me as a reference, but that I will be honest. If they never hand in work on time, I'm not going to say that they are responsible. If attendance were an isssue, I would not say that they are punctual and reliable. I don't see this as a threat, more as the fact that I am letting them know that I am going to be honest.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 21, 2010

Make there be an attendance grade and a participation grade. They suck at either, they do poorly. Eventually they might realize that if they fail something, they might actually have to start paying for their education.

Today I told 5th graders they'd have to stay 5 minutes extra to finish up an experiment (I didn't even make them clean up their stuff), which they would be missing from their lunch period (while I gave up my whole lunch period to clean up their experiment). They were SOOOO upset with me. I reminded them that I don't give them a hissy fit when they show up 5 minutes to class when they just had recess.

But no, I don't think there's any way to make them feel anything--- if they don't care, they don't care. That's why I think its absurd to fire teachers when some students clearly do not even want to be in the classroom.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 21, 2010

I used to run a teen parent program. We provided free child care. Each year I would shake up the parents by giving them a bill to show them how much it cost to care for an infant. This always led to a discussion of who is paying for the care?/Why are they paying?/Will I get this forever?

It always was a great discussion starter.

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 21, 2010

I feel your frustration. They don't care and then they complain when they don't have the skills.

14. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Apr 21, 2010

Yes, and that's another thing. I was under the impression that many wanted to content to be covered faster. So today, I gave them an exercise that gave very little instruction. It started off with a scenario (making a Newsletter), and basically said what the end result had to be (margins, what each section was supposed to look like); two students were able to do it*.

*The two students who were able to do it, are students who think the course is well paced. All the students who wanted to go faster, barley finished half of the assignment (and I had to help them through a lot of it).