Students asking constantly to change seats?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 18, 2013

Does anyone have students who constantly ask to change seats? I feel like I get the question daily from multiple students: "Are we changing seats today?"

I change seats probably monthly, so I don't see why they want to change seats more often than that. It's also quite hard for me to create new seating charts because I pick out where each person is sitting very carefully.

3. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Feb 18, 2013

Tell them: No, we will change seats on(whatever) date. Then get back on topic.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 18, 2013

Why do you actually change seats once a month?

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 18, 2013

Linguist: Get them working with different people, just be in a different place and environment.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 18, 2013

What if you tell them: every time someone asks to change seats, the normal schedule gets pushed back with 1 week :)

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 18, 2013

We change seats monthly, too. The kids know that when I switch the calendar "stuff" over to the next month, it's time to change seats, too.

At the beginning of the school year, I let them know that we get new partners at the beginning of each month--no more/no less. I don't get any questions about it and they really look forward to it.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2013

I tell them "we change when I decide"

I think if they were asking daily I'd just start ignoring the question.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2013

Peregrin..why do you think you're being asked DAILY? Could it be some kids are uncomfortable here they currently are for some reason? Or perhaps do you think this is a matter of needing to tighten up on class mgt...kids might be trying to get you off track?

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 19, 2013

It might be discomfort, but I don't think it's management in this issue because they generally ask before class when it's not disruptive.

I also think a large part of it is that it's halfway through the year and the students have formed their cliques and groups already and they want to sit with each other.

11. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2013

I do that also. A seating chart usually last about a month or so and then they are too familiar with those around them and the talking is accessive.

12. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Feb 19, 2013

I only have kids ask me if we're switching seats if I bring it up or if another teacher does it. I made the mistake of bringing it up a couple weeks ago and then got busy and never made a new seating chart. They asked me every day that week and then into the following week. I finally told them that if they asked me again when we're switching seats, they were going to be stuck where they were for the rest of the year. No one has asked me since.

13. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Feb 19, 2013

Yep. Seating arrangements should be set up to the teacher's advantage. Rarely do students think, If I sit by Name he/she will question me in accordance with Bloom's Taxonomy, only engage me in talk related to the lesson or activity, ensure that I stay on task and demonstrate accuracy, perseverance and promote excellence in social skills?

Seating or furniture arrangement is one of the first-line strategies in the prevention of discipline problems. It's one of the few "techniques" a teacher can do without the students being present. If a move needs to be made it should be based on what's best for learning, teaching and discipline. In attempting to accommodate students' wishes a teacher may inadvertently contribute to the exact discipline problems he/she is trying to eliminate.

Some teachers use the approach of telling students the furniture does not belong to them. It belongs to the school and is charged to the teacher to use and arrange to promote a learning environment. They go on and add at any time they will make the decision, not the students, to move a student which helps meet this goal.

14. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Feb 19, 2013

Simple answer (and the one I give) = no

15. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2013

I love this response - very Ron Clark. I had to do that this year with one of my classes and the constant request to work with partners. I told them "No, and every time you ask I cancel the next planned partner activity."

This was in October - they haven't asked since.

I'm also a fan of just flat out ignoring ridiculous questions. A short stare and walking away silently is surprisingly effective with middle schoolers.