Students and FB

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by HWilson, Jul 18, 2011.

1. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2011

I have added one student, after some deliberation. He has graduated and is in the process of gearing up for attending my alma mater. I sort of mentored him during the admissions process, and smoothed the way for him in my old department by introducing him. He asked me to add him before and I declined, but now that he is in college and I can continue to mentor him along as he needs or wishes, I decided to add him. He is just bursting over with enthusiasm and likes keeping me in the loop.

Besides, the most salacious thing I've ever posted was a video of my bird eating a strawberry.

2. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

After reading all of this, I unfriended all my students and created a new one just for school. My colleagues and I use Facebook to run groups like the Writing Lab, and more than once Facebook has helped us find a runaway student or head off a drug deal in the parking lot because students forget they friended us. We do have big, obvious disclaimers in our profiles reminding them that we are mandated reporters, and if they don't want us to report danger, don't friend us. I know this isn't for everyone, of course, but I do feel better now that I have two and one is as sterile as possible and used only for school-related things.

3. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Aug 7, 2011

Our district has a policy of no friending current students.

I friend FORMER students once they are older than 25.

BUT, now I'm running into some of my 'friends' being parents of my current students.... which I'm not a fan of.

So, I may be re-thinking my friending.

4. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

I changed my mind and deactivated my student-friendly account. One of my students was asking me for dating advice on her wall. I wanted to help her, I really did, but I realized that this is the counselor's territory and I am too young to be setting myself up for getting in trouble. So I just deleted it and asked my colleague who is a veteran and totally comfortable with her Facebook persona to run the Writing Lab page instead.She doesn't mind and now I can just dispense advice at school, in the company of other teachers.