student wrestling with discerning whether or not something is dishonest

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by AuburnTeach, Apr 3, 2006.

1. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

Apr 3, 2006

I have a student in my first grade classroom who had several behavior issues, including not being honest. He'd say he read his guided reading book at home when he didn't, deny breaking a rule even when I saw him, tell me someone hit/kicked him when they didn't...I could go on and on.

He's made huge gains in all of his behavior, including being honest. What's really interesting is he has generalized the being honest rule to everything...I read a Paul Bunyan story to the class, and he said the author was lying. He found out the Junie B. Jones character isn't a real person, and he can't believe authors can "make things up".

Friday a student fell out of her desk (don't ask :)); she was the third one, so I said something about a gnome who pushes kids out of their desks being in our room. He talked to me at recess and was very upset that I lied about a gnome being in our room.

How do I help him sort this out? Try to explain reality vs. fantasy? (We've done that in literature.) Role play (I said I did my homework when I didn't vs. good-natured kidding)?

Any ideas/insights would be greatly appreciated.

3. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Apr 3, 2006

Have you read the book about the boy who cried wolf? Very good example. That kidding got the sheep eaten because it was a very important job just as his reading is. If he does not read he can not pass tests and go on the 2nd grade with his friends.

4. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Apr 5, 2006

He sounds like a very literal person! You probably need to further explain about using a sense of humor with the gnome remark. That's just making a joke or making something funny to avoid getting upset about a situation. Maybe try telling him some jokes that are so silly they obviously are fiction, get him to laugh about it. Try pointing out the old Miss Mary Mack song (the old Ella Jenkins recording) where the elephant jumps the fence, he jumps so high that he didn't come back till the 4th of July. The next time you say something like the gnome comment, ask the class, "Is that real?" Get them to answer "NO!" Then ask him the same question, pointing out it's just a joke.