student with social issues

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by iluvteachin, Sep 9, 2007.

1. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

Another one of my students in my sign language class has a social disorder (I don't know the exact name) ... in his documentation, it is stated he works best with only one adult telling him what to do.

I have a choice of requesting an 1:1 aide for him - however, there are already 2 or 3 other aides in my classroom. (becoming kinda ridiculous actually but nothing I can do..) so I am trying to avoid adding an aide for this particular student.

Apparently, he doesn't have awareness of social cues and tends to shout out things at inappropriate times, etc.

Any advice in working with a student of this nature? It is still early so I do not know him well yet... but I will consider any suggestions given!

3. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Sep 13, 2007

I don't know if I will be any help.

I would suggest that you maintain frequent eye contact with him. Be consistent. Seat him by the spot where you are most, then you can redirect him as needed. How old is he?

Try to ignore most of the nonsense behavior. Pay attention more to the positive behavior he shows. Take little steps...teach him directly the cues you want him to know. If this means sitting down with him and saying when I raise my hand this is the signal that you stop talking. I had to do this with a mildly adhd student in my class this year. After our meeting she started to pay very close attention to me and the cues. PRAISE!

If it is not better in a month, I would consider an aide...

Let me know how it goes ;)