Student with Dyslexia

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsCAD, Aug 12, 2009.

1. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Aug 12, 2009

For the first time this year I will have a student with dyslexia. From what I understand he is a smart child but has his normal challenges. I teach reading and writing. What can I do to help him succeed in my class. I have asked our special ed teacher for help and I all she said was to write in cursive and make him write in cursive. Can anyone give me anymore ideas?

3. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

WHAT! I am shocked and quite saddened by the response from your special education teacher!!! I love working with students with dyslexia. These students require very specific reading instruction. If this child is truly dyslexic he should be receiving some sped services (although not sure what good that would do if the teacher doesn't know how to work with him). I would also probably stick to print - not cursive. The Wilson Reading Program was designed for students with dyslexia. Are you familiar with it? It provides a very structured step by step phonics approach to reading. What grade do you teach?

For writing, my dyslexic students were most successful writing independently on the computer with the programs CO-Writer and Write Out Loud. These programs predict the word the student is trying to write through their spelling and then reads back what they have. This was the most liberating tool for my kids because dyslexic students are often very bright and have excellent ideas. They were able to produce stories that they were proud of.

4. leisurej

leisurej Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

I'd talk with the child and find out if he/she wants to be called on to read aloud in class. I have mild dyslexia, it was so embassing to me to read out loud and have the teacher constantly correcting my messups. If I have a chance to read it before, then I'd usually volunteer to read small short readings.

It doesn't sound like the SPED teacher is going to be much help. Ask the parents for what has worked for his/her past teachers.

A few years ago, a SPED teacher gave me a colored transparency to try, it was amazing how the words seemed to settle down on to the page. For me, white paper with black writing has too much contrast, the words feel as if they are moving on the page. By changing the background the contrast is not so server and I feel more confident. My transparency is blue but from what I've read most any color will work.

Good luck!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 12, 2009

The colored paper is called Irlen Overlays. Read about them here: http://irlen.com/index.php?id=3 They help some students.
    Certain colors work better than others for individual students. You have to test them out.

Here are a few suggestions -

Have the child use wider-ruled paper for writing.

Allow the student to preview stories/books prior to use in the classroom. This could be done with a parent or tutor at home.

Use buddy reading instead of individual silent reading.

Work with student to use context clues, pictures, captions, headings, etc.

For novel study, have student read along in text to a book on tape.

http://www.recordedbooks.com/ for purchase or rent
    www.simplyaudiobooks.com/
    http://www.booksontape.com/

Speak to your student privately about his level of difficulty to reassure him. Don't assume that he cannot read. Also, don't assume that he has poor comprehension, though he might. Some students with dyslexia are very adept at compensating for their disabilities.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  6. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 12, 2009

What kind of response is that from a sped teacher? O_O

Find out how the dyslexia affects the student.

Talk to the parents, ask what their child's limitations are, and try to get a little bit out of their comfort zone. Have the child read if they want to.

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

Oh my god. I'm horrified by the sped teacher's response.

As a parent of a child with dyslexia, if someone said that to my child's teacher, I'd be horrified and contacting an attorney to ensure appropriate services were had.

Good for you for looking out for this child. Has he had any tutoring? What grade is he in? How's he functioning? How's his phonemic awareness?

8. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 12, 2009

You also need to check if he has a current IEP or a 504 plan...that would give you some information about specific goals he has, and accommodations he's allowed to receive. I don't know that I'd depend on the SpEd teacher for this information. Look in the office for a file, it should be noted somewhere.

I hate it when people make my profession look bad...if I don't know much about a certain disability, then I offer what I know, and I go research like crazy for more info. Good for you for getting a jump on this. Writing in cursive does help some, but if he hasn't been taught how to read in cursive, then where does that leave you & him? Much more frustrated than before.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 12, 2009

If you do not know, you should just admit that and say you will get back to them.

Wanna know what is worse? Never getting triennial testing.

Happened to me and every other sped kid I knew in my SD (and we were all on IEPs since preschool)

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2009

I love these programs! We have them on all of our board networked computers so all students have access to them.