Student who WON'T STOP TALKING

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 15, 2014

Rant: I have a student is currently driving me up the wall. He transferred in a few months ago in the second quarter. For some reason he is now constantly talking to me. He is always up in my business touching things on my desk, and constantly talking while not actually saying anything of value. Often he's saying things that are meant to evoke some kind of response (like saying my class is boring because we just mix chemicals or light things on fire, or that another teacher wouldn't bother with wearing safety and stuff because the other teacher is 'beast'.), and I often ignore him, but he still just talks, talks, talks, talks, talks!!!

He often gets in trouble for side talking during class and I've had him in with me during lunch for it, but I don't want to have him in during lunch anymore because he just TALKS the entire time! I keep telling him his lunch detention resets every time he talks, and that just makes him talk more!

I tried contacting parents and mom just makes excuses or blames his misbehavior on another student. I'm going a little nuts because I can't take any more of the blabber. Most of it is not breaking rules, it's just annoying as heck!

What can I do to get it to stop? I tried moving him to admin detention and I think he likes it because the admin lets him talk during their lunch detention.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2014

Just one thought...how does he relate socially with his peers?

Have you considered bringing someone in to observe him to see if he is possible on the autism spectrum?

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 15, 2014

Oh, I had a student like that my first year teaching. He never did anything specific, nothing that I could specifically write him up for, but was just annoying. Exhausting. Always just there.

The only thing I could find that would work for him was City/Country/Siberia. If he was willing to sit, participate in a healthy way, and not interrupt, he could be in the "City", or with the rest of the group.

One misstep, and he was sent to the "Country"-off to the side or back of the room where he couldn't interrupt as easily.

Most of the time, he spent his days in "Siberia" which was in a corner of the room where only I had access to him. I think it was behind a file cabinet, where he could still see the board but no one else.

I have no idea where I got that idea, but it was approved by admin and for some reason worked for him and me and the rest of the class.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 15, 2014

It doesn't really seem to me that he's on the autism spectrum. He relates well with his peers, but he may be a little socially behind because he came in half way through the year after friend groups had all been established. I believe he has a friend group though. Many of the other kids also find him annoying, but to be honest, it seems he goes out of his way to act that way.

From my experience of kids with autism though he doesn't strike me as being on the spectrum.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 15, 2014

Peregrin, I think your main issue is that no consequences work for him. You should try to find a way to make them work, or come up with different consequences.
    - lunch detention / admin detention: he should be silent, and like you said, have it start over if he talks. Right now that doesn't work. What could you do? Could you give him after school detention?
    - calling home didn't work :(
    - ignoring him doesn't work, although it's good that you're ignoring him and not engage with the provoking stuff he says.

He is actually breaking the rules. Talking out of turn is breaking a rule. Touching things on your desk should be breaking the rules.
    I can't stand my students coming up to my desk, while they're talking to me, they're scanning my desk what they could get into. They know I do NOT like anyone touching any of my stuff.

Have you talked to his other teachers? I think that could help, because if he's behaving in their classes, then you can find out what they're doing that works. If he doesn't behave there, then find out what they have done about him, I'm sure they don't just let him talk away all day.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 15, 2014

Yeah. The problem is though, is that he's mostly talking to kids. He's talking to me! He has a comment for everything and I forgot to mention this but I think he is ATTEMPTING to be annoying and get on my nerves.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 15, 2014

Apparently he's doing similar things in all classes. Talking out of turn is breaking the rules in my class, but he often talks during times when it's 'technically' okay to talk. Like during transitions, or during group work.

I will have to begin being a bit more strict about touching my things.

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2014

When a student has me cornered and is talking to me one-on-one during class and I don't want to hear it; I say one of the following depending on the situation:

1. "I can't talk to you now, go sit down."
    2. "I can't think or complete what I'm doing with you talking to me."
    3. "If its not about the class work, I don't want to hear it."

If they keep talking, I continue to ignore them and make sure they can tell I'm super annoyed. This usually works.

I always tell students not to touch my desk because when things go missing, I'm going to think they stole it.

I've had students that like to talk me to death and tell me all about their lives before/during/after class. When need be, sometimes I have to catch an attitude/give an exaggerated sigh/roll my eyes to get them to stop.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 15, 2014

I like the statements you give the students. I think I use something similar, but he continues to talk until I threaten him with consequences. It's not really my style to get visibly annoyed with a student though because I prefer that they don't know they're getting to me, even if they are.

11. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Apr 16, 2014

I used to be that kid when I was in elementary school but have since learned when to speak and when not to. I grade my students' notes and when they talk excessively during the lesson, I stop, grab my red pen\marker, walk over to the student, and put a big of 0 on their paper and their grade suffers.

12. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Apr 16, 2014

peer pressure.

I have my classes in groups and I have the other students peer pressure him into stop talking because I try to have a positive incentive like a lab or outside time if we finish with enough extra time at the end of the week.

I tell the class that if we have to stop to wait for certain students to stop talking then the class as a whole will suffer. Then I look directly at the student and wait for the comment I know he is dying to make.

then I ask the class what my response should be. Eventually the peer pressure will make the student realize that they don't really want to annoy me, they just think they do. When you take the fun out of it, they normally stop.

Kids think watching you hide that you are annoyed is funny. I just find ways for the behavior not to bother me but instead make it the rest of the classes problem that the student can't seem to control his mouth. Eventually a few students will speak with him and the problem gets taken care of.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 16, 2014

That's a bit embarrassing...do you think this is the best way to handLe misbehaviors?

14. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Apr 16, 2014

I've found giving zeros doesn't really motivate most students to do better by trying to pay attention or improve behavior.

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 16, 2014

I put my third graders on an island. We actually call it an island. There's a desk with a paper palm tree and everything. If a student's talking gets excessive, I ask them to take a trip to the island, and to come back when they've relaxed.

Probably wouldn't work so well with high schoolers though.

16. brightstart123

brightstart123 Rookie

Apr 17, 2014

I think you should tell him that you are busy at that time or tell him that his grades will suffer by talking too much in the class. But making yourself annoyed in front of kids in not my cup of tea. As it lets other kids think that you don't like them and then they also start annoying you.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 17, 2014

It sounds like you've tried a lot of things. The parent seems like no help. I have not worked with high schoolers for about 12 years or so but is it possible to have a conference with you, him and admin. to discuss this? Maybe he needs to be sat down and spoken with since detentions are not helping.

18. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2014

This depends on your relationship with the other kids, IMO.

19. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2014

Me too, especially if I'm looking for long term behavior improvement.

20. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 17, 2014

The only time I would put a 0 on a student's work is if he was cheating / talking during the test. Otherwise, why mix academics with behavior??

There are students who talk and do their work, and when I warn them about talking, they say "but I'm doing my work", which drives me nuts, but I do explain to them that one doesn't excuse the other. He does his work, but he's disrupting the others around him and they can't learn, or his stopping me from teaching so then no one learns. They get it.
    Logic and reason work better then being impulsive or vindictive.