student who won't stop reading

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sonflawah, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Breakaway4

Breakaway4 Rookie

Nov 20, 2011

I was this type of kid and I have this type of kid and I teach. My thought...how can we change the education system to make ALL children engaged and interested and learning. Very few states mandate gifted education but ALL states have special education for those falling behind. How can we compete in a world market when we take all our best and brightest and say...well we don't have to worry about his/her test scores and then just basically ignore them. These are tomorrow's leaders, scientists, CEO's. Don't we want to help them excel to their highest potential as well?
    The student who can breeze through school while reading under their desk is not learning work ethic, intrinsic value of hard work/payoff and when finally faced with a class (usually not until college) that they may actually need to study for they 1) don't know how and/or 2) suddenly feel inadequate to the task.
    So my concern is not "is reading during lecture rude" but why is it okay for these kids to be expected to sit through 6 hours of work not anywhere near their proximal level for learning?

2. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Nov 20, 2011

I have a student who will read Wimpy books in my class and not do the work. I tell him to put it away which he does. But then he is reading again. He is not doing the work and is failing my class and other classes. I wish it was a challenging issue.

I tell the kids that they do my work first. If they are done, they can read, do their homework, draw and etc. However, I expect them to ask first. After a couple of times if the students are doing homework from my class or another class, I take it away and throw it away (recycling) of course.

It's all about respect. It also depends on the student's situations. Last year, I had a ECE student who would not do his work but we believed was Asperger's just undiagnosed since he did well on his tests.

3. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 21, 2011

Exactly! There were a ton of things I was taught not to do at school that ended up being acceptable or even the norm in college and in the working world.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2011

These behaviors are absolutely not acceptable at my school in meetings or PD. I can't imagine anyone would even think of doing anything like that, and I'd say we all have a pretty good informal relationship with the P, so it's not that people are "afraid", it's that they would never think of being that disrespectful. My best friend is a HS teacher and she talks about people going as far as to bringing an iPod to meetings! That is just unbelievable to me.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2011

Agreed.

6. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Nov 22, 2011

Remember that punishment is very different than consequence.

I would walk over during class time, and quietly remove the book from his hand (after asking class to put away books), and then place the book on the windowsill, file cabinet, or teacher desk and mention that he may get it back in a minute or when you finish explaining or when the class is over.