Student who talks continuously

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by lvnlife287, Nov 6, 2008.

1. lvnlife287

lvnlife287 Rookie

Nov 6, 2008

So I have a student who talks constantly throughout the day. He is extremely intelligent and gets bored easily. He told me today that he doesn't like when I use videos and PowerPoint for notes. He would rather me write on the board instead. Meanwhile, the rest of the class seems to love it. I explained to him that different teachers have different teaching styles and this is mine. I keep trying to come up with a way to keep him interested and get him to stop talking but keep failing.

HELP!!!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2008

Is he calling out or talking to other students?

4. lvnlife287

lvnlife287 Rookie

Nov 6, 2008

He is calling out

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2008

I give a kid who calls out the 'look' and put my hand up to signal that's what I expect and then I call on someone else who put their hand up....

6. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Nov 10, 2008

I have a kid that's overly enthusiastic and interrupts incessantly, often distracting other kids. Last week I had enough, so on a whim I stuck a post-it on his desk and every time he interrupts, he has to put down a tally mark. When he doesn't interrupt for several minutes, I give him a sticker (he sits right in front of me, so it's very convenient). He's gonna earn a surprise once he gets five stickers, then to get the next one he'll need ten. It's worked beautifully so far.

Perhaps you could have this student be responsible for note-taking on the board when you show a video? You could ask him to listen for five new vocab words that he has to write down, but if he interrupts you pick another "note-taker".

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 16, 2008

I think I'd have a chat with that boy about what appropriate classroom behavior looks like and what I am seeing from him. The remark about you using the Power Point almost sounds like he is trying to see if you will cater to him. If he continued to act out a call home would be taking place. Without knowing your student or his personality, it is kind of hard to tell what is going on. Is there another student in the room that could use a study buddy? Would giving him this responsibility possibly help settle him down since he would be in charge of helping another classmate and have a productive direction to focus his energies?

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

He's just pushing your buttons, and getting a chance to talk about Power Points etc. while he's doing it. I have a few non-stop talkers, too. I try to place them inbetween non-talkers. But this one boy just sits there and talks to them anyway, even when they are paying any attention to him.

He's starting to calm down a bit, but I think it's only because I just stop and stare at him and shake my head in exasperation. I really don't think he stops and thinks.

9. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Jan 26, 2009

I have actually told a student like this that he/she was "on silence" before. Cat's got your tongue for ten minutes, and you may not speak for that long. It shocked him/her enough to keep quiet for a bit.

This may not be the best plan, but it was necessary for my sanity.

10. Dawnathome

Dawnathome Rookie

Jan 26, 2009

My first thought (from my own experience) was that he needs to see the action of your body to focus in on what you're trying to get across. Power point and videos are pretty static in a certain sense and for some (like me with my ADD) too easy to zone out on. I think your student is keen and interested in what you teach but having trouble getting what he wants to know out of your method of presentation and he's simply telling you that. It's a compliment. He finds you such a good teacher that, for him, getting the info directly from you is his best way of learning.

I don't think you need to change your style radically but maybe the two of you can work on finding something that will help him focus (if that's his issue) and see if you can find a way to deal with it. Maybe something on his end like a koosh ball he could fidget with. Or may you could write some key points from your video and PP presentations on the board intermittently.

He really seems like a curious student and one who's not afraid to offer some criticism or tell you what he's having trouble with. Be slow to discilpine him and see what you two can figure out together.