Student who is extremely advanced

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Peregrin5, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 14, 2012

I have a student in my class that surpasses all of the others. She will finish a 20 minute worksheet in about 4 minutes and then be bored for the rest of the period. She has said that she doesn't take this class seriously because it's so easy. (now I don't feel that this is typical of the other students because I have quite a few who are struggling)

I asked the school counselor if there was anything I could do for this student and she hasn't gotten back yet, so I'm asking you all. She is starting to give me looks that say "I'm extremely bored and I want to shoot myself".

The last thing I want to do is turn a great bright young mind away from science because it simply isn't engaging enough for her. Are there any ways I can enrich or advance education for her while still keeping her a part of the classroom community?

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2012

Find out what topics she is interest in that relate to the type of class you teach, and how she best likes to learn about that information. Then together come up with a plan for a mini-extension project she can do to learn more about something she would like to know about. Her choice as long as it is relevent to your class and her way if her way is appropriate for the class. For example, she may be able to listen to a lecture, read some resource materials, sketch or design something, plan an experiment, come up with a game to help the students learn vocab for your class.

4. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Mar 14, 2012

Are there any other students in the class who grasp the material as well as she does, even if they are doing so more slowly? Perhaps you could have them work on a group project where they research a subject you're discussing in class. If she is finishing a worksheet that quickly she is obviously not being challenged, but she needs to be...or she won't know how to work when she has to!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2012

This might be the sort of student for whom Khan Academy, with guidance from you, could be quite appropriate. http://www.khanacademy.org

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2012

One thing I think you should take care to avoid is giving her extra work. I was once that student who understood concepts more quickly than my classmates, and I remember a teacher or two thinking that the solution was to give me more work to fill in the time that the other students were spending doing the original assignment. It felt like a punishment and not like the enrichment that I'm sure it was supposed to be.

I think you should talk to the student and find out what she would like. It may be that she would like time to silently read a book of her own choosing or work on homework for another class, and either of those options would be acceptable to me. She might end up telling you that she wants additional work or special projects or to help tutor her struggling classmates. She might even tell you that she wants an alternate assignment; if the worksheet is so easy for her, maybe you two can nix the worksheet altogether and give her a more challenging assignment from the get-go. In any case, I think the key is getting input from her. I don't think it's a good idea to make decisions for her because she might not appreciate them and might end up rebelling.

7. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2012

She can do more in depth research on the topic you are studying.
    Or, if it isn't too much trouble for you, you could make her a more challenging worksheet.
    I personally disagree with working on homework from another class, because I think she should be working on science skills.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2012

I usually plan an independent research project of some type that I offer as extra credit for students who finish early. This might give her the opportunity to work on something that she wants to learn while still allowing her to be part of the community.

9. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 15, 2012

I'm not so sure she'd necessarily mind extra work. I was given extra individual work in math starting in fifth grade (partly to keep me interested, but mostly to help America defeat Godless Communism), and I did a lot of extra work in high school in biology: I asked for the extra bio work because I loved doing it. Some kids are just geeks. (I also carried a briefcase in high school until I got my first genuine girlfriend in 10th grade and she made me stop. It was her or the brief case, an easy choice for the obsessed teenage TeachOn.)

You could ask her, right?

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 20, 2012

She said she doesn't mind doing extra work. She actually usually asks for work because she gets bored when she's done with everything. I haven't had two minutes to rub together to find something for her to do lately though, but I was thinking of doing a small research project with her. Still don't know how that might work though.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 20, 2012

:spitwater: That was the funniest thing I've read in awhile! LOL!

12. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 20, 2012

Find out what branches of science she's interested in. Does she like micro? botany? anatomy? There are lots of areas you can dive further into. Try interesting her in some "popular" science books like March of the Microbes or Winter World.