Student who cries ALL day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Preschool0929, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 6, 2016

I feel ridiculous posting this, but I'm completely out of ideas. We've been in school for almost a month and I have a Kinder student on my caseload who still cries the entire day. He screams during drop off as staff pry him off of his mom. He screams during large group, breakfast, and just stands and screams during the entire portion of work time. I have no idea how he doesn't get tired of it. He has some language delays, but very much understands expectations and whats happening. It's gotten to the point where the other students are starting to get upset and are covering their ears.

We've tried highly motivating reinforcers, worked with mom to create social stories about school, used food to motivate him, let him choose preferred activities, etc., but he just cries that he wants to go home or that he wants his mom. At the end of the day, he stops screaming, runs to her, and smiles and waves back at us.

Any ideas?

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 6, 2016

I know it's not an ideal option, but could mom come in for a few days to help transition him to attending independently?

Luv2TeachInTX likes this.
  4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 7, 2016

Typically I wouldn't mind it, but he screams "I want mommy" most of the day, so I think it would make it a lot worse. She had warned us that he had never been away from her, so we knew it would be rough, but definitely not for this long

5. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Sep 7, 2016

I had this last year with like 4 students.. Very rough year. For several students they really just needed to adjust and yes it took like a month of crying.. o_O But then they were fine and loved school, for another giving a stuffed animal or coloring books worked. For another student, she would get very upset on the days when her mother didn't have to work and she knew mom was just at home and she had to be at school.. So it could be something like that. She stopped crying eventually too! It will get better.. Good luck!

6. wavedave3

wavedave3 Rookie

Sep 10, 2016

I knew a teacher who asked parents to send in a framed family photo on the first day, and if any student was missing his/her family, they would be allowed to keep the photo on their desk for the day. Just an idea, good luck!

Backroads, otterpop and Leaborb192 like this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 11, 2016

How did the week go? Any improvement?

8. kit_kate27

kit_kate27 Rookie

Sep 11, 2016

facetime with mom as a reinforcer?