Student who closes his eyes....

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by SwOcean Gal, Sep 23, 2010.

1. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 23, 2010

I have a student that immediately shuts down and closes his eyes the second he knows you are going to be speaking to him about a particular behavior- he puts his hands up to his eyes and squeezes his eyes shut and will not look at you. He also hums during carpet and makes noises. I need to come up with a particular behavior plan for him- to stop these behaviors. Do you have any suggestions?

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2010

I'd just tell him to stop it; really, I would.
    But, I would speak to him privately about it to let him know that he can't do that to you or anyone. If he chooses to continue, then you will write his initial on the board and if he continues on, you will put in his whole name. When it comes time for him to enjoy something in class, he has to sit out.
    So, you will really have to be on him about it. Don't make it a big shout out war or anything; quietly write his initial and go on. Then, his name if you have to; but at least he knows what is expected of him and the repercussions (whatever they may be and both you and he know what they will be...time out, missing a part of a project, etc...
    By the way, how old is he???

4. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 23, 2010

He is five. I have spoken to him about it and that is when he does it too. You speak to him and he does it- you look at him and he does it. It is constant and he is doing it hard- like he could hurt himself. I know this sounds really stupid to be asking about and kind of common sense, but I think he has other issues going on here. Writing his initials on the board would not phase him- he first would not see me writing it and then would not realize it was his initials. It is always when he is getting redirected.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 23, 2010

I suspect he is still at that stage of development that he thinks if he can't see you, you can't see him. I agree, he may have other issues going on.

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2010

couldn't the school nurse step in here?

7. greengables

greengables Rookie

Sep 24, 2010

I've got one like that, too. I'm at my wits end, so will be looking to see what suggestions you get. I think my kiddo is on the autistic spectrum 'cause he also flaps his hands, sucks on his shoelaces, chews on his shirt, makes odd noises and can't sit still. I've requested sp. services come in to evaluate and I've gotten a koochy ball, a special seat cushion and a weighted neck collar to use to help. They work for a little bit, but then he starts swinging them, throwing them and they have to be taken away. He takes a LOT of one-on-one time. :crosseyed

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 24, 2010

I feel for you, but I am soooo glad you are having this issue too and I am not crazy. I totally felt crazy posting my seemingly stupid question, but it is driving me insane too. He has the odd noises down to a science at the most inopportune times and he too can not sit still. What are you doing now about it other then putting in for an eval or whatever? What are you doing for behavior management?

Blue, I think you are right there about it being developmental, but there is also something else going on there has to be. I just do not know what, I am going to be watching him though and taking notes. Sandra- that is an idea. I could try that. I could at least talk to her and see what she says.

9. greengables

greengables Rookie

Sep 24, 2010

One thing I do when he closes his eyes his get right down on his level and tell him he has to look at me; closing his eyes will NOT make me go away. It works eventually and he looks at me for a bit. Then we discuss what he's doing and what's a better choice. He just echoes me a lot, tho-not sure it's actually something he understands. I ask him throughout the morning (he's 1/2 session) how he's doing/feeling in the group and if he'd prefer playing or sitting by himself-he picks that option often-he just has no social skills and doesn't get along well with others. I just worry that what I'm doing isn't appropriate if he is autistic. For example I have him stop sucking on his shoelaces/shirt, ask him to stop flapping his hands and rocking back & forth, but then I read that these are self-stimulating and help autistic children cope with stress, so now I don't know if I should go ahead and let him do it. :dizzy: It's just so disruptive to the other children and when I'm dealing with him constantly it takes away from their instructional time.

10. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 25, 2010

Oh, wow. I do not know, but you could try some different ways. You said he cannot sit still and makes noises, what about if at his spot under the table you put a piece of velcro- so he could have that sensory input and hear that noise and maybe that might help him stay in his place. Have you made him your helper at carpet? That is what I am going to be trying Monday. I read about the velcro somewhere, but I do not remember exactly what it was for, but I think it was the sensory and the noise factor. Maybe someone else will know more about it.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 25, 2010

Funny we must have the same child. He closes his eyes and will also yell at me "You got me in trouble." He trys to do fake tears at least 2 times a day to get his way.

I just continue to speak to him in a low stern voice and , tell him to open his eyes, and I go over what he needs to do

12. greengables

greengables Rookie

Sep 25, 2010

Gosh, not sure I could handle that velcro sound! I hate it when the kids open and close their velcro shoes. (Seinfeld had an episode where his dad complained about that sound-boy, could I relate! :p)Hoping to get some constructive input from sp. services soon. I just don't feel qualified to give this student the help he needs and am worried that what I'm doing now is counter-productive or even harmful.

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 25, 2010

I was going to suggest finding a way to make him a helper as well. Give him some type of responsibility in the room that is his alone. It might also help if you had talks with him about things he is doing right as well, so that he doesn't automatically go into "shutdown mode" when you try to talk.

I also think the initials on the board are a good idea. If you explain it to him privately (even with his eyes shut), he will know the initials on the board mean he has lost a reward activity. You said he wouldn't see his initials there and wouldn't know what they meant if he did, but if you tell him "This is how I am going to let you know you need to make a different choice about what you're doing", you might be surprised how often he takes notice of it. He can't keep his eyes shut the entire session, so he will have to see them sooner or later.

I would designate a specific spot for the initials that cannot be avoided, but doesn't obstruct the rest of the board or the lesson. I don't think I would write the whole name, though, just the initials. Maybe the first initial as a "warning" and the second initial if he continues making a bad choice (or maybe all 3 initials if you want to give him 2 chances before losing the reward).

While the other students might see the initials too (and eventually figure out what the are for), it will still be a "secret message" that is just between you and the student. Or you might try writing one letter at a time on a post-it note and then simply stick the note on his desk or table as you walk by. He might crumple it up and throw it in the floor, but he has still seen it. If the gets a post-it with his last initial, he has lost the activity.

14. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 25, 2010

Well, no, it would not be the whole unit- it would just be say the soft side and he could have that sensory input by rubbing his fingers back and forth on it and that way you do not get that whole velcro noise, but he does get some auditory feedback too, but not as much as with the two pieces of velcro. Does that make sense? I wish I could find where I read about it, but it was so long ago...

Cerek- I always do praise and emphasize when he does a great job and he gets such a smile on his face and he just lights up the room at that point! Very cute!

He definitely shuts down and well, I am point I will try anything- so I will try it and see how it goes, otherwise I do need to find a special job just for him- he does get a chance to do jobs and be my helper, but he needs his own job I think. Thanks!
    I would love any and all other ideas to try. I will post back how it goes.