student whiteboards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yarnwoman, Jul 2, 2011.

1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 2, 2011

so I am changing to 3rd grade and know that many teachers have students use small whiteboards. I don't want to go out and purchase these so I was trying to come up with a inexpensive(cheap) way to make these. Someone said make them with a laminator. I just tried with my personal laminator and it is hard to erase. ANy other ideas?

3. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 2, 2011

sheet protectors?

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 2, 2011

I got mine for a dollar each. It's really worth the investment.

5. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 2, 2011

I go to Home Depot and have them cut me a large whiteboard for $10. I get about 25-30 boards out of it.

6. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2011

Shower board works great if they erase right away. Sometimes I have a xerox of a base ten board or other graphic organizer. I will slip this into a sheet protector so each kid gets one. It's an easy way to use the graphic organizer over and over.

7. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 2, 2011

:yeahthat: My cooperating teacher did that. She had them cut it into 12 by 12 pieces and they were a really nice size! And then you can get a yard of fleece material from Walmart and cut it into little pieces for cheap but effective erasers! :)

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 2, 2011

I did the shower board thing 3 1/2 years ago and mine are still doing great. Though I need to get some new duck tape on the edges to cover up the random graffiti that's been added over the years. Will get a dark color this time to avoid it happening again!

9. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 2, 2011

I went to Target today and they had small white boards 4/$1. Really small. They are like a sentence strip with the lines for lower elementary. (You know, with the lines and the dotted line in the middle?) I bought them anyway. They are perfect for what I use them for.

10. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jul 2, 2011

I used cheap page protectors that I got 10 for $1. Put a bunch of white paper inside and you're good. I liked it, cause I could print out different sheets to put inside (like a Venn diagram, a place value sheet, etc.) It worked really well.

11. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 2, 2011

I just tried this and it works GREAT!!! I am totally excited now. As a single mom with two in college this year I need to really watch my pennies.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 2, 2011

Personally, I would wait for the back-The whiteboard with Expo marker was really cheap at Walgreen's last year.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 2, 2011

Target has lined ones in the dollar section right now.

14. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 2, 2011

I think that's the best thing for me, because I bought some for a dollar at dollar tree and my children wrote ugly words on them and tore the edging off.

15. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Jul 2, 2011

I do this. If you want to go even cheaper (but not as durable) I've also seen teachers use plastic disposable plates.

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 2, 2011

Staples had them on sale this week for $1.

17. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Jul 2, 2011

I did the Home Depot thing and they cut me a whole bunch for about $15. They're supposed to charge a few cents per cut, but if you say you're a teacher, sometimes they'll do it for free.

I also use my kids old socks (when they get holes in the toe) for erasers. I wash them first and the students kinda like seeing all the colors emerge on them from all the white board markers. LOL

18. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2011

Yup, Solo brand plates! and an old baby sock for the eraser! We learned about this in a recycling inservice class!

19. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jul 5, 2011

Another alternative is to use a white binder with a clear vinyl (?) cover on it. I've also used laminated sheets but with watercolor markers or transparency markers. But this means they have to use wet paper towels to wash it off.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2011

I put it on my kids' supply list, so they purchase it. But, it sounds like there are a lot of ways to invest in them in a non-expensive way. They are wonderful to have in class, and as another poster commented, well worth the investment.

21. aggie21

aggie21 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

It cost less than $15 for me to get a shower board cut into 12X12 squares. They normally charge a few cents per cut but I just told them I was a teacher and they waived the fee. I never had any problems with kids ruining the boards, but I went through white board markers like crazy, and those weren't cheap. I asked students to donate one marker a piece at the begining of the year on top of the markers I bought and the school provided, but I was down to about 4 dry erase markers at the end of the year.

22. lovelit

lovelit Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

I saw the ones Lynn K. is talking about. They're in the Dollar Spot. At the Target near my house, they had both lined and unlined ones.

23. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 31, 2011

I also have the shower board ones after hearing time and time again that our headmaster was buying them for us with no results. Of course 2 weeks after I bought mine...they magically appeared for everyone else :p Oh well...now I can take my own if I ever leave.

The marker issue kills me...I put them on our supply list for this school year so we'll see how that works.

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2011

I bought mine at Dollar Tree 2 years ago. When I was in there yesterday, they had them again. I bought a bag of children's white socks to use as erasers.