student wanting to be friends on FB

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherheath, Aug 2, 2010.

1. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Aug 2, 2010

Do I just decline or write her a little message explaining why? (Mainly that I don't have students as friends on FB and that I'll actually be moving up to 3rd grade next year and could be her teacher). WDYT?

3. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

I usually say "thanks for writing but I only accept friend requests from my adult friends... see you in school!"

4. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

I would just decline.

We just had a week of district training and they told us that if a student ever texts us, to NEVER reply via text. Tell them in class the next day that you don't text students, but never respond in writing via text. Seems like this might fall under that same rule.

And who in the world lets their SECOND GRADER use facebook? That's insane.

5. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 2, 2010

I wouldn't...

Personally I ignore all requests from students to be friends on FB. I see other teacher-friends of mine that have students as friends. I think it could be tricky/difficult if students' were friends. I think teachers should maintain a professional relationship and besides facebook is my time/space. If I want to vent/comment about a "rough" day....then students shouldn't see it.

Just my opinion.

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 2, 2010

I can't even imagine any of my second graders facebooking me! I would just ignore it. A teacher I worked with this summer at summer school said at their school parents request to be their friend. I wouldn't be cool with that either. I know people that have two seperate accounts... one "professional" page, and one personal.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 2, 2010

I agree, just ignore it. That's what I do for any request from anyone under the age of about 21. And if she happens to ask you about it during the school year you can tell her you only friend adults.

8. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Aug 2, 2010

I would def. make yourself unsearchable. I know its harder for friends and such to find you, but if they want to find you, they'll find you through other friends.

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 2, 2010

I would just ignore the request. That is crazy! A second grader should NOT be on FB!

10. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

I never approve requests from students. I didn't even approve to be friends with a former student and I am pretty good friends with her parents. Better safe than sorry!!

11. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

I tell my students that when they hit Jr. High if they still want to be FB friends I'll let them. They are all on a special list that only lets them see my posts and pics of my kids.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2010

My best friend declines them. If they request again or ask her in person, she says "Sorry, but I don't allow students to be friends with me." If they ask a third time, she blocks them.

I keep 2 accounts. One for me and one for school related stuff.

13. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 2, 2010

Me too. I had so many kids (mainly 5th graders who were moving on to Jr. High) wanting to friend me that I made a school-only account. I also use it for some of the teachers at my school ;)

14. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Aug 2, 2010

I would decline the offer. It's just not appropriate or professional. I wouldn't even write a note back. I taught fourth grade this past year and one day one of my students came in asking if I knew a certain person. I was surprised and then she preceded to name a few more people off of my friends list that comes up during a people search. I explained to her that I loved her as my student but I was not there to be her friend. She understood. It was so uncomfortable that I edited my settings so that my favorites were hidden to people searching.