student w/ low comprehension and cooking class

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by readytoteach!, Oct 20, 2006.

1. readytoteach!

readytoteach! Rookie

Oct 20, 2006

Hi, I am a new sped teacher. I was approached by the cooking teacher at my high school about a student on my caseload who was having a hard time in class. He has a hard time understanding spoken and written directions. She is concerned because it is a large class, and she needs to spend a lot of time assisting him and his group, while other kids do not get assistance. One thing that worries her is that it is a fast paced glass with fire and knives, and keeping everyone safe.
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggesstions of what modifications can be done to help the class run smoother for everyone
    Thanks

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2006

Can she break down a task into even smaller parts? The class pace has nothing to do with it. If the child needs help, then the teacher must provide help or give the student something to do that he can be succesful with. Can she give him picture directions? How about a partner to work with? I think this cooking teacher is looking for an out, don't give in. Simply say how can we simplify the task. Perhaps the student could be involved in other parts of food prep that don't involve knives... or someone could be there to spot him. It's do able. I work with devel. disabled adults who perform cooking tasks all the time. Patience is a must.

4. IN TRAINING

IN TRAINING Rookie

Oct 30, 2006

HELP IN COOKING CLASS

Hi
    I am a teacher in training but have worked as a teacher aide in special education for the past 10 years. Part of that time was in a hearing impairment unit. We did have a student with a hearing, physical and intellectual impairment and had some worthwhile practices in place for her - so I hope I can be of some assistance. It did help that it was a hearing impairment unit as we have a box of picture flashcards with symbols and signs that we could use. I suggest that maybe you create a flashcard box that you can take out the needed cards and put together and photocopy. Instead of being expected to read the words, the student could read the pictures. So you would have pictures of all the utensils, measuring items, safety, food items. This is something to be built up and added to over time as new items arise. It will take time but the recipe could be created in picture form. There are also some picture based computer programs that could be useful to create their recipe in this format - even in regard to safety. I know that when I was leaving that job there were computer based programs coming in that you could set the recipe up on the screen and then print it out but unfortunately I don't remember what it was called and by now there would be newer and more up to date programs or software available. I just went to to google and typed in 'picture flashcards for cooking' and came up with some sites with pictures that would be appropriate (one I looked at was an ESL one). Hope this gives some direction...