Student Uploading Videos on Youtube without Permission

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CatfaceMeowmers, May 3, 2016.

1. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

May 3, 2016

So I recently created a youtube channel to put videos on to help my students. I link them through our classroom website and they are unlisted (meaning you can only view them with the link). I didn't think about comments, as it didn't occur to me that students would comment. However, a student commented, just a silly "Hello there" But I was curious to see who this student was. He has 3 video uploads, all stating he is doing "giveaways of iPhones and Jordans" A bit strange...

Well, I watched one video, and there is a good 30 seconds of me teaching! He recorded a video in class while I was teaching and uploaded it to Youtube. It didn't seem like it was for harm, but...I can't help but feel angry. I do not believe you can see my face, but isn't it still wrong to upload it without my permissions since I am in the video?

I want to confront the student about it, but it makes me wonder. If one student is doing it...how many others are doing it? A small scary moment for me to think of all of this technology in the hands of some of my....challenging students.

Any other advice?

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 3, 2016

Yep, this is happening. It sounds like you're lucky it's not more damaging -- not that the video would show you doing anything wrong, but it could easily be edited to make it look like you are. I would report this to administration asap -- this video might be harmless, but given the amount of editing that can be done to a video, the next one might not be.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 3, 2016

I would write up that kid, honestly.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 3, 2016

Honest question... do you think that your school would take this seriously? I understand the cause for concern and agree it's not appropriate, but at the same time, don't know that my school would do anything about it.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 3, 2016

Yes, I think they would. The district has been cracking down on inappropriate use of personal electronic devices especially as it pertains to anything that could be construed as bullying or harassment.

otterpop likes this.
  7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 3, 2016

What is your school tech policy?

8. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

May 3, 2016

As far as I know, they are only to use technology for school use. However, many abuse this policy and have hundreds of games/apps on their devices. I talked with the guidance counselor today and decided to speak with the student. I think this morning I overreacted a bit and thought about what I was going to say. The video was made 3 months ago and it honestly had no bad intentions. But I pulled him out as he came into class and talked with him about posting things online, especially videos without permission. But it is a scary thought to think what could be done with technology and "bored" kids these days.....If I wanted to, I could take it to admin and they could remove the video themselves, but I don't see any harm to it.

9. bros

bros Phenom

May 4, 2016

What is the board policy on students using electronic devices? Check that, and it might say what action you should do.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 4, 2016

I'm inclined to go to admin and make them remove the video. Once a student realizes you aren't going to do anything, it could lead to many more instances of the same thing, and the new videos may not be as harmless. I think you need to send a message to the students.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 4, 2016

Our admin would absolutely take this seriously--the student would be forced to remove the video, would face consequences for inappropriate use of technology (they sign an agreement at the beginning of the year) and face detention or possible suspension.

12. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 4, 2016

It's a good question -- our district is still trying to figure out its tech policies, one year into our 1:1 iPad program. I would hope it would be taken seriously, but I don't actually know for sure, not having had to find out yet...