Student told me that dad/sister does drugs

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Maia, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Maia

Maia New Member

Apr 3, 2019

Hi all,
    I'm a university student that is currently working with disadvantaged students through a special program that helps them connect with a role model. During a science project, one of my mentees began breaking up a sodium carbonate tab with a ruler. She said that its, "just like breaking up cocaine" and the other kids inquired how she knew. She responded, "I see my dad and sister do it all the time". She said it rather lightly, like it was no big deal. If her family is doing it in front of her, I'm sure they don't treat it like it is a big deal. But does she realize that it is? I understand that they could be doing much worse drugs, but the fact that they just do it in front of her is a bit bothersome. She also brought it up once more when I had asked if anyone at home could help her with the subject she is struggling with. She told me, "my dad is busy blowing powder up his nose". Again, making light of it. I discussed it with some of my fellow mentors, who told me I have to tell my TA. The TA then told me I have to tell the site coordinator. The site coordinator thanked me and said she will take care of it tomorrow. But what does that mean?? I don't want to ruminate on whether I did the right thing, because it seems like this was something that I had to/was supposed to do. However, I don't want CPS to be contacted and a child to be taken from a family she loves. As a kid I had friends in foster care and they always told me terrible things about it. I don't know how schools typically handle stuff like this and although I voiced my unease to my TA and the site coordinator, nobody gave me any indication as to what would happen. I can't stop worrying about how my actions may tear a family apart.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 4, 2019

Your actions aren't tearing a family a part. The drug users' actions are what will tear them apart.

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2019

You did the right thing by reporting it. It will be up to the authorities to investigate and determine how best to proceed. If the situation is bad enough to require removing the child, then you did her a huge service in helping her get out of a bad situation. In fact, kids usually don't talk about stuff like this unless they want/need help.