Student to teacher ratios

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Oct 12, 2007

How do I find out the state mandated student to teacher ratios in the state of Missouri?

3. maroki

maroki Comrade

Oct 12, 2007

I don't know if the state creates mandated teacher-to-student ratios. Here in WA, it is something that is written into our contract with the district, and can vary by district. And sometimes even that isn't followed...for example, this year I have 24 first graders and my contract puts the cap at 21.

However, if there were to be state-wide mandates, I would think it would be somewhere on the state's Department of Education website.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 12, 2007

There are laws for daycares, but I don't know of any laws for actual teacher/student ratios in schools. Many districts have "caps," and some states "suggest" maximum, but I don't know of anything that is state mandated.

5. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Oct 12, 2007

Ok, how can I find out what Missouri "suggests" as a maximum? Any idea?

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Oct 12, 2007

One thing I've learned through my experience is that districts have a "cap" but that doesn't mean you won't go over. I'm not sure if it is like that in other districts, but I had up to 29 first graders my first few years. And when I originally applied to the district, they boasted that they had low student/teacher ratios. I don't know if there is an actual law, but it might help to look at individual school websites.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 12, 2007

You'd have to check with the individual school district on their caps (or whatever they choose to call it)

8. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Oct 13, 2007

There is a 4th teacher at my school that has 30 in her class, so I don't think it is less than 30! She teaches every subject, they are with her all day.

9. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Oct 13, 2007

Maroki,
    I'm in WA and was looking at the OSPI website and saw that our state does have a cap on numbers. I can't remember what it is I just remember that my district has the same numbers.

10. maroki

maroki Comrade

Oct 13, 2007

That is interesting! Our union is making a big deal about numbers because next year is a bargaining year and last time they had to fight really hard to get low caps into the contract....maybe it was just because they wanted numbers lower than what OSPI sets as caps. :unsure: