STUDENT THAT DOESN'T WANT TO PARTICPATE

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Noscut1000, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Noscut1000

Noscut1000 Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

HELLO, I AM A NEWBIE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER. TODAY WAS OUR SECOND DAY OF SCHOOL. YESTERDAY WENT GREAT, I ONLY HAD ONE CRIER! ANYHOW, I HAVE ONE STUDENT WHO JUST WONDERS OFF TO THE DIFFERENT CENTERS ALL DAY, DOESN'T LISTEN, LAYS ON CARPET INSTEAD OF SITTING, CONSTANTLY HAS TO GO TO THE BATHROOM OR WANTS WATER, ETC. THE REST OF THE STUDENTS ARE ADJUSTING WELL. ARE THERE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO HOW TO DEAL WITH HIM? I USE A FLIP YOUR CARD CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT SYSTEM WITH GREEN, YELLOW, RED AND BLUE. TODAY I HAD HIM SIT OUT FOR 10 MINUTES DURING RECESS. IS THIS TOO HARSH? HOW ELSE CAN I DEAL WITH HIM. I'M AFRAID HE IS LEAVING A NEGATIVE IMPRESSION ON THE REST OF THE STUDENTS AND THEY MIGHT JOIN IN WITH HIM! THE NEWBIE NEEDS HELP!

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 9, 2007

Calm down. Breathe.

It's only the second day. Teach your expectations/routine again and again. Maybe it is this little guy's first time in school, first time with rules, first time separating from family?

I also wouldn't worry about the other kids "becomming bad." Ross Greene's Explosive Child quote often sticks with me. "Children do well.... if they can..." Most children don't try to be noncompliant, some just need a little more help learning to follow routines, rules, etc or need some modifications/accomidations.

Try 1) assigning a buddy 2) positive praise "I like the way so and so is doing this" along with this, catch this child being good whenever possible and then slowly lengthen the time between positive statements (so they don't expect to hear good job jane all day long. 3) provide figet objects as needed. 4) tell what will happen next and the expectations of the next activity/transition.

Hope that helps for now. I'm sure others will have more. I must get to bed.

4. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

talk with the parents and see if there is any of this behavior happening at home. If so speak with your principal for testing documentation for learning disabilities or autism, ADHD, or ADD. Look at the checklists and see if there are any similar symptoms in your new angel.

he needs help adjusting. during the 10 minute time out did you talk with him or leave him to himself? Talk with the parents about what strategies he is use to at home if he misbehaves. Maybe they dont do time outs, and he wont understand why his misbehavior warrents a time out at school, and not at home for the same behavior.

Speak with the parents. Communicate, and also talk with the boy. he may be too young for a behavioural contract, but somesort of 3 strikes baseball style contract might help hime to understand what to do

We're here to help. I'm a newbie myself, still a student teacher, but in my internship this year (17 weeks of no pay, with all the responsibility) :woot:

Good luck,
    Mr. Skinner :D

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 9, 2007

Oh 10 mins may be a bit excessive for 5 year olds. The rule I've always heard is no more minutes than their age. I then tweak that and go for their mental age. To little children 2 minitues of time out is an eternity. Also some kids will respond to a time out/break. Some kids may need something else- a diversion (alternate activity), some kids (and adults) need a cooling off period before they can talk about something too.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 9, 2007

It's only the second day of school. Did he go to preschool? Does he have siblings? When did he turn 5? All of this will make a difference in his behavior at school. If the answer to the first 2 questions is no, he may just need time to adjust to school and your expectations, and being with other kids. If he turned 5 over the summer, he is young, and male and will be less mature than his peers. If he is six already, keep an eye on him, but it may take some kids longer to get used to doing the school thing. Perhaps at home, they don't expect a lot of him- or anything of him? What is his cultural background? Some cultures really baby the boys, and they are coddled for years. At a field trip, a perfectly competent 8 year old in my class turned into an infant in his mothers arms as she put his shoes on for him! This was part of their culture, and boys are really not expected to do much... despite my telling them over and over he was capable and competent to do everything on his own, and does so at school.

Maybe there is a lack of discipline at home. The color card system may be new to him and may take some time for him to adjust to. If he gets a lot of empty threats at home, he likely expects the same from you.

Don't label him ADD too soon. He just started school. Give him time. He will likely need a lot of guidance and support to get used to school. If things continue for a few weeks/months, document it, and then talk to his parents at the conference. Find out how discipline is dealt with at home, what they expect of him, etc.

Keep positive! Get to know him. Find the things he is good at and accentuate the positive. Find him a friend who can be a good influence on him. As for the centers and things, redirect, redirect, redirect. If he can't move around at the centers easily, keep him with you. Set him at one center, then guide him to the next one yourself. When he is laying down and you want him to sit up, sit him close to you in the circle so that you can move his body gently. Keep him in close proximity. Hope this is helpful. I haven't taught K, but was a prek teacher for awhile and did a stint of student teaching in k.

7. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

I agree, (however) for a new teacher who might not be fimilar with the signs of ADD, finding his triggers might be hard if they dont have documentation and research to try.

By all means I'm not labeling any kid who wanders around the class Autistic or ADD, ADHD. Just keep the info close at hand. Keep the focusing drugs away, far far far away. but use strategies and resources to help his focus on rules, routines, social interaction, etc.

Sorry for the confusion :huh:

8. Noscut1000

Noscut1000 Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I can't believe I didn't realize that! My own daughter is 4 years old and I use the rule of 1 minute for each year of age. I will change the 10 minutes time out to 5 minutes.

9. Noscut1000

Noscut1000 Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Holy cow! I checked his birthday on the roster and it says 08/26/2002. He's not even 5 yet! No wonder! He is Hispanic and a bit on the overweight size (not sure if that tells anything?). I've only met the babysitter and when she has come the last 2 days she has been on the cell phone. Yesterday (the first day of school), no one picked him up! I took him to the office and they called home. There was a misunderstanding because a sibling was suppose to pick him up.

10. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

before long, he will be your favourite. It sounds like he needs tons of guidance, bounced around from babysitter, to sibling that doesnt show. Find a buddy for him, maybe an older student can come to your room and wait with him to be picked up... just a thought.

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 9, 2007

It sounds to me like there may be some parenting issues... he is quite young to be overweight which may mean he doesn't get to the park enough, have enough supervision at home (sneaking cookies, etc.) or that they don't have the resources to know about a healthy diet... it could also be genetic. If no one is picking him up, there are probably some family dynamic things going on, whether it is economic issues, or something else.

He is a little guy... give him lots of love, support, guidance, etc. But yes, I agree with h2omane, keep records right now...especially if no one is picking him up. It may end up that those are important later for whatever reason. It may also end up that they are a terrific family, and you get to know and respect the parents. Perhaps the whole school thing is new to them-- though most K parents are a nervous wreck, and are there the minute school was out to see how things went!

12. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 9, 2007

First, I would find his interests and use them as a diveresion. "Johnny, right now we're supposed to be reading. I know you like dinosaurs, look at this really cool book with a big T Rex in it!" Also lots of praise for when he is doing the right thing. That is a lot easier for kids to pick up than showing them what they're doing is wrong and then explaining what they are supposed to do. Maybe stickers would work for him? "Johnny, I see you're reading just like I asked you to! Here's a sticker for your good work." Be generous, and then fade them out with time. But praise might be enough without any other reinforcer. Good luck!

13. Noscut1000

Noscut1000 Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Today was the 3rd day with my "challenge child". My principal was in my classroom and I asked if he could tell which one was giving me trouble. He guessed correctly and said that the boy stood out like a sore thumb. At the end of the day my student was completely disinterested (is that a word?). I have an assistant who works with me in the morning and the afternoon for this week and she asked him if he wanted to go to the offcie to call his mom so that she could know what he was doing. He was totally ready to do so and went to get is backpack. My assistant went to speak to our counselor who said she would be in tomorrow to observe him. I spoke to the babysitter picking him up today and she let me know that he had the same problems in Head Start. He was even touching the teachers on their breasts and bottoms! She also mentioned that he gets dropped off at 5 am and picked up 4:30 pm and his mother is always in a hurry. The babysitter doesn't think his mom wants to accept the truth (his behavior) as the head start teachers would tell the babysitter daily of his troubles. The babysitter said that when she would drop him off at Head Start they would tell her "not so early"! We'll see what the counselor thinks tomorrow!

14. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 9, 2007

Be careful talking to a babysitter, that maybe in a violation of confidentiality somewhat.

Is Head Start run by the school system (so that there will be records to follow?)

Also when you asked him if he wanted to call his mom, did you follow through? Some of my co-workers would make this threat, whereas when I said it. I went over, dialed the number and then explained what was going on and put the child on the phone. Then they knew I wasn't screwing around.

Continued luck. Remember it's only the third day....

15. JRR

JRR Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

My heart breaks for this little guy. Sounds like he doesn't get much from home. Be consistant with him.

I had a discipline child last year and thought I would never make it. By Christmas he was one of my favorites. I almost cried the last day of school becuase I knew I would miss him. Sometimes we have to be the people that love these children the most. It's horrible to say, but I truly believe that I have loved some students more than their parents. I always try to make the children feel loved and SAFE in my classroom.

Keep up the good work. It seems like you are taking the right steps to find out how to help this little one. :)

16. Noscut1000

Noscut1000 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I didn't have the mom's cell phone when my assistant mentioned calling her. I will try following through next time because I think it would be a good technique. I was able to get the mother's cell phone from the babysitter and that's how I got to talking to her. I started by asking her how he behaved at home. She answered immediately "very bad". I thought speaking to her might be inappropriate but I wanted to get an insight to his home life.

The Head Start program here is income restricted but I'm not sure if it's a part of my district. I want to say no but I will ask the counselor tomorrow.

17. Noscut1000

Noscut1000 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

Since it's my first year I bought tons of stickers. I had a special ed intervention teacher come in my classroom in the afternoon to help and she suggested the same thing while we rotate the math manipulatives. My challenge child was dumping OUT the teddy bear counters while everyone else was trying to clean up and put them IN the basket. We tried giving the stickers for the table that cleaned up appropriately and sat in their learning/listening position and it did motivate some children. I will start giving these out more generously throughout the day.

18. Noscut1000

Noscut1000 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I agree, I don't think he gets much from home. He puts his feet up on the table throughout the day. My assistant asked him if he does that at home and he said his mother does that!

19. Noscut1000

Noscut1000 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

The babysitter told me today that none of his previous babysitters wanted to take care of him. So you were right, he was bounced around!

20. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

Oh see, many of our Head Starts are IN our public schools, so the kids have a public school ID number and then their records get sent to the K teacher in that school or to the school they enroll in in the Fall if it is still in the district and all the records get transitioned smoothly. So that is why I asked.

21. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

I had a few kids that rarely ever saw their parents. It got so bad that I had two of the girls in my class mistakenly calling me "Mommy" quite often. It was sweet, but that was a big clue that the kids didn't get the attention from mom. Many of the parents I had worked wierd hours, so they were in day care before AND after school. I recall one day on a field trip one of those students said they wouldn't see their mom for 3 days! (this child had older siblings in high school)

22. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 10, 2007

I'm surprised he was in Head Start and you don't have any records. It's possible that he had an Individual Family Support Plan (early intervention IEP). If he does, then he's a kiddo that should be looked at for special ed services. I agree with being wary of labeling kids to early, but if there are services at the school he could benefit from then the team needs to consider it. Kindergarten is not too late to save this littly guy, but if he isn't given the right resources for another few years, then it could be. Good luck!

23. devama

devama Companion

Aug 10, 2007

How heartbreaking that she said his behavior is "very bad." Sounds like he has had a lifetime of people expecting the worst out of him and then leaving when they experience it.

24. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

It's going to take a while to train this kid to do more positive behaviors and start believin he is a good kid.

There is a wonderful video from Focus on the Family, called Molder of Dreams. It opened my eyes so much about what kids really learn at school and in life.