Student teaching

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by bg1166, Sep 3, 2009.

1. bg1166

bg1166 Rookie

Sep 3, 2009

I am student teaching with 1st grade right now and I love it. I was just wondering if you have any tips or any helpful info.

What do you expect your student teacher to do? I take the kids to the restroom, help them when they have questions, sharpen pencils, walk around as they do their work/check their work, grade papers, read stories sometimes... but I feel like I have a lot of time when I am just sitting there and I don't know what else I can do to help my teacher/students...

Thanks.

3. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Sep 3, 2009

You can pull kids aside individually and have them read to you.
    Thats what I did. Its also good practice for running records.

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Sep 3, 2009

Take pictures of lessons/activities you like, make tons of notes on everything: signal phrases, room arrangements, procedures, etc. This is your time to observe before you start teaching some lessons! Use it to your advantage! That's the one regret I have, not taking more notes!

Oh, also ask if you can observe some different grade levels and classes if you have some free time. It's good exposure to different teaching styles and age groups. Just make sure you clear it with your CT and the teacher you want to observe.

5. Mrs N

Mrs N Rookie

Sep 4, 2009

I would definitely observe for the first week or so- then my coop. teachers let me take over morning meeting, the following week I added math, etc. After I did my full-time teaching, we eliminated one subject per week until I was back doing morning meeting. At the end of your time, I'd definitely ask teachers in other grade levels (or even at that grade level) if you can observe- I learned so much! I student-taught in 4th grade and now loop 1st/2nd so it was a bonus that I was able to observe those grades. I would have loved to see how to set up the beginning of the year- you are lucky to have that opportunity! Good luck!

6. KLP1220

KLP1220 Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

Always offer to help! Just walk around and observe/ help monitor. Eventually you'll have more and more responsibilities and won't feel like you're just sitting there....I just finished last May and I'll give you my best piece of advice: Always ooh and ahh about those who are higher up than you's feedback and ideas!