Student Teaching!!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by alteacher84, Jan 11, 2006.

1. alteacher84

alteacher84 Companion

Jan 11, 2006

:) I am so excited! Students have been in school since January 4 which is when I began my student teaching. I have already started taking on responsibilities in the classroom such as daily living (attendance, jobs, etc.), behavior, guided reading, and centers. Also today was my first day doing actual teaching. Student teachers from our school are asked to observe for the first 1-2 weeks and then start assuming responsibilities of the teacher once they have observed what she does. They also begin picking up one subject area a week until they are teaching all subjects which we call solo teaching. So I am in week 1 and am teaching science. If all goes well I will be starting my 4 weeks of solo teaching the first week of March!!!

Just figured I would share my experiences so far....how is everyone else's student teaching going so far?

3. kermy

kermy Companion

Jan 12, 2006

i had a great first semest experience, but this semester hasn't even started and i'm annoyed. I called my teacher to met her four days ago and she still hasn't called me. This is after my other teacher descied last minute that she didn't want a studetn teacher anymore. so we had a scrabble to fnd another teacher and now she won't call me back. i just think it's not showing responsiblity and it's just rude. but it'll be alright.... i hope.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 12, 2006

Tomorrow will be my 1st week down w/ my new quarter of multiple subjects student teaching (in a 3rd grade class). The teacher's ok. She can go a little more out of her way since she knows she has me there now. What I mean by this is that when it's recess & lunch times, she won't stick around & ask me if I want to talk w/ her about anything. She'll go into the breakroom and laugh it up w/ the other teachers. A really good co-op teacher will ask if he/she wants to stay in for lunch to talk things over. If someone's going to sign up tp be a co-op teacher, there's certain new responsibilities & sacrifices they should do.

I'm just not the type who wants to be in the lounge w/ the others 3 times a day, every single day. I like peaceful alone time reading a magazine or being on a laptop. I wish I had a laptop because I'd bring it everyday!

5. DramaRocks

DramaRocks Rookie

Jan 12, 2006

I am about to start my student teaching on the 30th. That's when second semester begins here in my school system. So I will have to write you back in a couple of weeks! My licensure is going to be PK-12, so I am doing a middle and a high school. I am meeting my high school teacher next week & the middle school teacher the following week. I hope I have a good experience. Wish me luck!

6. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Jan 13, 2006

I start student teaching on Tuesday. I met my CP once in December and then just an hour or two ago, so I could meet the kids. I walked in and they got a teacher desk for me, with pencils, tape, stapler, paperclips, everything I could possibly need! I feel so welcome in the class now! I can't wait for Tuesday!

7. dbesq00

dbesq00 Rookie

Jan 13, 2006

I'm just curious. Are you paid as a Student Teacher? I have been informed that I am eligible for Student Teaching. Thanks.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 13, 2006

Usually student teachers are not paid. It depends on location and placement. I have heard of some districts in Kansas paying special ed student teachers, because they have a shortage. There may also be pay available for speech paths in some places. But generally, you pay to be a student teacher, not the other way around!

I wish-I wouldn't be so far in debt right now if I would have been paid!

kcjo

9. dbesq00

dbesq00 Rookie

Jan 13, 2006

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll have to wait until I qualify as an intern. Patience is a virtue! ;)

10. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jan 13, 2006

I finished my first week of Student Teaching today and I have a lot of mixed emotions about it. I LOVE the students and I really like my teacher, but she is a mess right now. She filed for divorce right after the first of the year and she is so involved in it right now, which I completely understand, but I really feel like I am getting cheated out of a lot of things. We have not been able to really get to sit down and talk because she leaves during our conference time everyday and stays gone until the students come back to class, which that time involves our lunch period as well. Today I just had to fumble my way through getting to the cafeteria and getting my own lunch. Sorry to bore you w/ all of that. I'm just really frustrated because I am in an English class, which I have never taught English before, in the past I was always placed in a Reading or SS class, so I really need some guidance but I am not getting it right now. I am hoping things will calm down pretty soon and she will be able to help me more. If not, I switch to another placement on March 6, so maybe things will be better then. :confused:

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2006

Student teaching in a traditional college program is not paid in California. If you need the money, by all means, consider going for an internship program. It will generally take you a year longer to get your preliminary credential, but you will be paid a full teacher's salary the for two years.

12. falcons88

falcons88 Rookie

Jan 14, 2006

My experience

I have had one week so far and it has been awesome. I am teaching 7th/8th grade math and as someone else mentioned, I too am teaching already.

It is a different atmosphere when you teach one subject all day to multiple classes and they is why I started so soon. You can only watch so much, especially when a period is 54 minutes. The kids are great and I think this experience will be the best thing for me.

13. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 14, 2006

I'm glad you're all enjoying your student teaching. I absolutely loved mine and wouldn't change the experience for anything. It was nice to be able to gradually take subjects over and then before you know it you realize that you're teaching everything. Has anyone noticed how tired you are at the end of the day? When I started taking things over as a student teacher, I couldn't believe how tired I was!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 14, 2006

Congratulations, falcon88. I love middle school math. Beth, on many Fridays, I come home and immediately go to bed for a delicious nap.

15. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 14, 2006

I fell asleep on the couch at 7:00 the other night which is soooo not like me! I'm just so tired after teaching all day. I'm in bed before 10 every night during the week. It's sad. haha

16. mrsb

mrsb New Member

Jan 14, 2006

Good Luck - I'm sure you will do a great job!! I will not start student teaching until Mid-February. I really nervous because my method classes field experiences have all been in the public schools but my student teaching is in a parochial school. I actually met with my cooperating teacher and she wants me teach science within my first week -I'm really supposed to have 1-2 weeks of observation - should I refuse the person that will most affect my grade?

17. alteacher84

alteacher84 Companion

Jan 14, 2006

dont refuse to teach, just explain to her the requirements that have been placed upon you and if you do want to teach the lessons just not so soon just tell her that you would love to teach the lessons but would like more time to observe her teaching before you begin so you can get a feel of how she runs her class and how she teaches that subject matter....
    dont worry! im sure you will do a great job no matter what happens!
    Good luck!

18. mrsb

mrsb New Member

Jan 14, 2006

Ask for time

Don't be afraid to speak up. Tell her you would like to set up a scheduled time for you all to discuss performance etc. One of my biggest fears about student teaching is what you are experiencing. I think you should let her know what you expect of her - at least then your not guessing about what she is thinking.After all, she has been in your shoes once and should understand.

19. Kellie79

Kellie79 Rookie

Jan 27, 2006

I started my student teaching Jan. 4 and the following week started teaching math and social studies. The week after that I also picked up reading and spelling. The very next week I began my solo teaching. I am happy that my CT is confident that I can handle the class, but it is VERY overwhelming because I have NO idea of how she manages the classroom and am constantly being told either by her or the students that I am doing it wrong. It doesn't bother me getting it from the students because I just tell them that she and I are different people and will do things differently. But when she corrects me it is sometimes in front of the students and it is really embarrassing and rude. I feel like telling her she put me up here early and if she doesn't like it to just get over it. I have tried to bring in some of my own ideas but everytime am told that there is not enough time or that the students will not be able to do for some other reason. I understand that I am there to learn from her, but honestly the only thing I am learning is that if I am ever a CT, I will never treat my ST this way. I have already finished one week of solo and have three more to do and then I can go visit other classes. I believe I can make it through without exploding, but I had to get that off my chest. Other than all that, everything is great. I love the students. I am enjoying teaching (even with the interruptions). I gave them their first test on lessons I taught and all did well. One boy, who the teacher has many problems with, has opened up to me and we talk daily and he even raised his hand today to answer a question (I am told that never happens). For the first week or so, I never even saw him crack a smile, but now he is smiling and paying attention. This boy really makes my day. It's students like him that makes me realize I am in the right profession.

20. kermy

kermy Companion

Jan 28, 2006

WOw, that is so rude to do it in front of the students! I would think she would know better but you never know. That's really good to hear that it hasn't set you off the course that you have set for yourself. Godd luck!
    I just finished my 1st week and it's alright so far. I'm subbing on tues and really haven't been in front of the class too much yet. it will be very interesting what happens on Tues.

21. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jan 28, 2006

I made a big no no for my first full responsibility.

My teacher team teaches with a lady down the hall. So instead of writing all my own lessons we decided to break them up.
    She didn't do very well on her lessons and since I just got them today I do not have time to go remake everything. So I am going to have to hope and pray that my supervisor does not decide to come into my classroom on monday or thursday.

22. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jan 28, 2006

I start my Student Teaching Monday.

It works differently in my district.

If you are Secondary, you spend one semseter observing teachers and natrrow down to focus in on teachers and assist. Out last 4 weeks involves about a lesson a week...

Then second semsetr we take full responsibility of the classroom.

Gemnerallly, you are in the same school (unless something unavoidable happens like the teacher mleaves or soething))

so we start right away. It's different for Multiple Subject since they are placed in a different school and grade level.

I have to say I'm really nervous. I have a really good Cooperating Teacher and all though/

I teach ELD 7th grade (Reading & Language Arts)

23. kermy

kermy Companion

Jan 28, 2006

well good luck..that sounds like an interesting experience.

24. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jan 28, 2006

Thanks!!!

I'm excited but nervous too!

I'm working out my classroom expectations right now.

The challenging lessons for me to prepare are Language Arts ones.

I'm pretty good with the Reading Lesson.. it's hard with LA, partly because it;s also hard to figure out how much time you need. I planned two days for Complex Sentences, but I have a feeling it;s going to have to extend into a third day.

25. carameldelite

carameldelite Rookie

Jan 28, 2006

Hi,
    I was wondering what do you do once you are finished with your solo teaching. Because where I live we have to student teach for 20 days so I was just wanted to know what happens when you complete the 20 days. Do you just continue to help out in the classroom for the rest of the semester or what. Also how many times does your supervisor come to observe during the semester and does the cooperating evaluate you as well like in sequence.
    Thanks

26. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jan 28, 2006

It's different here.

We have to teach solo for 18 weeks.

and we have 7 supervisor visits.

Our CT has to do 4 evaluations: one at the end of Feb, March, April, and then our final one.

27. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jan 28, 2006

At Texas A&M University, we have 12 weeks in the classroom. The first week is orientation and observing. The second week you are supposed to team teach or teach your teachers lessons. You gradually work up the amount so that you have taught each class enough times that you can handle everything on your own. During the 4th and 5th week you are given full responsibility. Then you have a two week break where you are back to teaching three or four lessons a day and then you get full responsibility again the last two weeks.
    We are only observed four times so it kind of sucks if she comes on a bad day. You usually do not know when she is going to come either because she does not let you know.
    Once that is over, you can be a substitute or find a job doing something else. They also let you get paid for days that the teacher is not there during your last full responsibility (You have to be a sub though). I believe each teacher gets 3 free days to do what they want for having us.