Student Teaching

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 14, 2005

Let's get this ball rolling, hehe :)

Is anyone else going to start student teaching this fall, other than me that is. :rolleyes:

I'm so excited, but yet so scared.

I haven't met my teacher but briefly talked to her on the phone once. Hopefully it will all work out great. :D

Sara

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 15, 2005

I just finished my student teaching and graduated in May. I had such a wonderful experience. I had a terrific cooperating teacher and honestly couldn't have been at a better school....I interviewed for a fourth grade position there last week! I was really nervous because I didnt know what to expect, but realized that I really didn't have anything to worry about. Be some-what aggressive and willing to take things over, but don't push yourself into things before you feel ready. I took over one subject at a time and it worked out really well. I was there from Jan-May and was teaching all of the subjects on my own by the beginning of April. Like I said, it was a wonderful experience and hopefully yours will be too!! :)

Bethany

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 15, 2005

Good luck on getting that job. That would be great to work at the school you student taught at because you already would be familiar with the people and the routines.

My cooperating teacher said that she was going to let me get my feet wet and experience what it was like to be a real teacher. So I think I'll be able to take over for the most part, gradually. I'm really nervous about this but so excited at the same time.

Thanks for your advice!

Sara

5. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2005

Student Teaching was such an amazing experience. It was a great time to experiment and really bond with the students. I finished in April, and a few of my girls (students) still email me and call to see how I am doing and what I have finished getting my own classroom ready. I went into the beginning of student teaching with the attitude that I was embarking on a 14 week job interview. I made sure to take every opportunity to help out and do things on my own. I started teaching a subject the very first week. Every week after, I picked up another subject. I ended up teaching full time for 8 out of the 14 weeks. People say that's crazy or too much work, but it was the best thing I ever did. My CT was always there for support or to answer questions, but he set me free to find what worked for me. my advice is to stay organized, get assignments done early and take on as many responsibilities as you feel comfortable with. Test yourself, you maybe surprised by what you are capable of (but don't overwhelm yourself). Remember to always stay positive and take each day as a learning experience. Truly connecting with the students is so gratifying, so take the time to know them and understand them. I know that a few of my students will stay in contact with me as they travel through Junior High and High School, and it is a great feeling, knowing that I made a difference for them. Most importantly, just enjoy your time. It is the only time that you will have in someone else's classroom. It's great to have support and guidance so use it along the way. Good Luck, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!