Student Teaching vs Alternate Route

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Hazel QT, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Hazel QT

Hazel QT Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

I am currently a senior completing my undergraduate studies in English Literature. I have decided to take the alternate route to getting my teaching license. However, I have been hearing some good and bad aspects of my decision. Despite the things I have been hearing, I feel that I can deal with the things my decision may bring my way because I grew up around the teaching profession because my mom was a teacher for twenty plus years and I was in her classroom several hours a day and understood the things she went through as a teacher.

However, I am interested in any advice that you all may have. What are the advantages and disadvantages of my choice? Would student teaching better prepare me for the classroom?

Thanks for all comments and advice

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2008

Hazel-Is there an alternative certification program where you can get your student teaching? My sister did this and got a job not a month after she finished. Some districts look at student teaching as experience and will hire them over alternative cert applicants, some districts don't look at that and just look at qualifications.

4. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Sep 2, 2008

In Miss. we have 3 possible alternate route programs, all of which consider your first year teaching to be your "student teaching" even though you have your own classroom. Supposedly, the idea is that having a mentor down the hall makes your first year on your own the same as student teaching. I'm pursuing alternate route certification too, and I do think I'm going to be at a disadvantage having never student taught, but it's either that or spend another 4+ years working on another bachelor's degree. I have no illusions that the first year is easy for ANY teacher, but I do think it'll be harder for those of use without student teaching. Oh well, we'll make it work!

P.S. - Welcome to the boards, fellow Mississippian! :)