Student Teaching Spring 2010? Roll call!

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Mrs. Q, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Dec 12, 2009

We haven't updated everyone in a while, so I just wondered where are all my fellow student teachers for next semester?

Do you have your placement? Have you met your coordinating teacher? When do you start? Do you have to take courses during student teaching? Let's update!

I got my placement letter yesterday - my first choice school. It's a district about 20 minutes away, which is *nothing* since I've been driving an hour every day to get to the university. The teacher I'm assigned to comes highly recommended by my other CTs, so I'm super excited.

We start seminar on January 11th and then start student teaching later that week. I do have to take one journalism class on Tues/Thurs and then make up the hours later in the semester, so I'm a little worried about that, but hopefully I can handle it.

3. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Dec 12, 2009

I will be student teaching next semester. I will be starting Jan 4. I will be taking a capstone (support class) and a class about challenging learners. I will be in a middle school science classroom. I am excited to start.

4. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Dec 12, 2009

I will be doing ST in February. Will attend a mandatory orientation next week. No word on placement yet. I have requestedto do high school social studies at the high school (s) where I currently do the bulk of my subbing.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Dec 12, 2009

I will be student teaching next semester!!!! I am super excited! I did get a letter from the P and a teacher inviting me to student teach at my most favorite school ever (I subbed there a lot and was often requested)! However, my college turned it down.
    I will be in an inner city school. We had our first meeting with the P on Friday and we got a tour of the school, but I had actually been there before and did some observations there. I met more teachers which was awesome though and they seem like a great team.
    The school I will be at is my college's professional development school, so lots of people are placed there. There are 9 eled majors placed and 3 ECED including me- so we will all be student teaching there in the spring. Are you placed at a school with lots of other STs???
    I am surprised you all start so early! We start January 20th, but we were invited to an in-service on the 19th, so I know all the ECED majors are going. We will not know about our cooperating teachers until after the new year. They know them already, but there may be changes, so we will find out after the new year and then we will be able to contact them and hopefully meet before teaching and help out around the room.
    As for other classes, we are not allowed to take other classes- everyone in the program needs enough credits (Including ST credits) to graduate before being able to ST. However, there are ways around it. Personally, I am not taking other college courses. We go to a lot of meetings after school though on campus, which stinks because hour commute! At least my placement is about 20-30 mins from my house and I am familiar with the area!
    I am super excited. I cannot wait to begin! When I find out my grade level placement I will post it here! I really want kindergarten!
    The teachers who were giving us the tour tried to help us guess our placements, it was fun. We found out three k teachers are expecting STs, but one preschool teacher is also expecting a ST. So that was odd, because there are only three of us. So we do not know yet.

6. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Dec 14, 2009

I'm student teaching in the spring!! I officially start Jan. 25th and I've already had my first seminar. I will not be taking any classes with it, just the required weekly seminar that goes along with it. There are 5 of us in my cohort, 3 elementary education majors, 1 birth-6th grade major and myself a special/el ed major. I will be in 1st grade, which I'm super excited about!!

7. I Teach

I Teach New Member

Dec 20, 2009

i will be student teaching this spring starting feb. 1. i'm super excited. i received my first choice placement with a teacher i've been substituting for regularly over the past 3 years. i am known by staff and students at the school, so i'm hoping for a reasonably comfortable experience. the commute is only 4-5 min by car, which will be great for work life balance. i have a toddler at home, so i really didn't want to have to be driving far away. i'll be teaching high school english.

8. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Dec 20, 2009

I start student teaching next month. I received my placement and got my first choice: the elementary school I attended for grades 4-6. The school is only five blocks away from my house so it is VERY convenient. I haven't been able to get in contact with the assistant principal yet so I don't know anything other than my placement so far. I do know that since I am an elementary education major, the first half of my student teaching is with a classroom in the lower grades (1-3) and the second half is in the upper grades (4-6). The school I will be in only goes up to grade 5 though, so for the second half of the semester I will have 4th or 5th.

Whenever I think about student teaching I have mixed emotions. On one hand, I'm feeling overwhelmed and anxious because there are so many things I'm wondering about! On the other other hand, I'm very excited because student teaching is finally here and I'm that much closer to being a certified teacher.

9. Miyata210

Miyata210 Rookie

Dec 21, 2009

I don't start ST until April, but I'll start my third internship this January. If all goes well, I'll student teach with the same teacher. It's a middle school science class, which I'm so excited about. I haven't met the teacher yet, but he was recommended to me by an instructor at my school. It's a far commute for me, a little less than an hour by bus, but knowing others' experiences with ST, getting a CT that you can easily..cooperate... with would make it worth it.

I'll also have to do an action research project during the student teaching. I'm still trying to brainstorm ideas for it. Is anyone else going to do action research?

Good luck everyone!

10. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Dec 22, 2009

I'll be student teaching starting January 20th! I have orientation on 19th. I will be in an urban middle school teaching 8th grade ELA!

11. clayh789

clayh789 Rookie

Dec 22, 2009

I will also be student teaching next semester. My orientation is on the 19th and I officially start on the 20th.

My first placement school is about 45 minutes away, but I'm so happy to finally be student teaching it's not bothering me.

The first placement is 7th grade science. I'm not too familiar with the district, but I do know it's larger than any school I have been in, so it's definitely going to be a new experience.

Good luck everyone!

12. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Dec 27, 2009

I am student teaching in January! I have orientation the 6th and start 1/11. I am teaching 1st and 3rd, starting with 3rd which I am a little bummed about. I met both my co-ops and they seem very helpful and friendly.

Besides seminar I may have to take one extra class but I submitted a portfolio to receive "experience credit" instead as I teach preschool.

13. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Jan 1, 2010

I start student teaching on the 4th! I moved back home to do my student teaching (I worked all through college so no way can I pay rent and student teach at the same time!) Being at home has its up and downs; Having a good support system and being familiar with the district helps.

I will be in a third grade classroom. Fourth grade was my first choice but I'm happy with third. I was in a 5th grade science classroom this past fall two full days a week. I absolutely love science! So it is going to be an adjustment to go from nothing but science to all subjects.

I met with my mentor in December and also got to talk to the kids. The kids told me things I might need to know being new to their classroom and school! So cute. My mentor seems so great; she introduced me to the staff and the team teachers. Also, she gave me their curriculum map which I have been going over during my winter break. This Sunday I meet with my supervisor for an hour to go over my agenda.

I'm really looking forward to getting back into the classroom! I hope y'all have a great experience in your placements!

14. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jan 2, 2010

I should start student teaching sometime this year. I'm wondering how many weeks each of you is required to student teach, as I'm sure it varies from school to school.

15. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jan 2, 2010

I do about 14 weeks--7 in each grade. I really do not like the idea of just getting into the flow of one class and having to move to another but that is how they do it here.

16. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Jan 2, 2010

60 days is my requirement.

17. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jan 2, 2010

Wow! That will fly by!

18. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Jan 2, 2010

I know! I should be done around April 5th. Then I graduate around May 15th. So during that gap of time I'm hoping to be able to substitute teach!

19. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jan 3, 2010

Is that 60 days in each placement or 60 days total?

20. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 3, 2010

Come the 25th, I will be student teaching. My university is weird. We have to take a week long orientation which ends the 14th of this month. So, I'm going back to my univeristy for a four day long orientation. Get a week off and then I do my student teaching. I met my mentor teacher. I was nervous because I was telling someone where I was placed, and they were all what grade. I told them I'm not sure, but I told them the name and they said they knew her. So, I was nervous because this person was talking about me (good things, though) to her. When I met her before winter break she was super nice. However, I'm informed I'll be getting the "bad" class (her words, not mine). I was glad I got to meet her, because it broke the ice. She nice and I kinda know what I'm getting into.

21. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Jan 3, 2010

That is 60 days in one placement. Up to April 5th.

Last semester I did 5th grade science 2 full days a week. That was part of my Senior Methods instruction.

Before that I was in a Junior 2 program, where I was in a 2nd grade class three hours a week for a semester.

Then beginning of my junior year, I did observations in early childhood settings. I observed a Montessori classroom and a Head Start classroom.

22. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jan 4, 2010

Student teaching will last from 1/20-5/4 for me... same schedule as our spring academic calendar. I'm also taking two classes on top of it -- the seminar and history of the English language. Yikes!

23. CDV3888

CDV3888 Rookie

Jan 4, 2010

I am student teaching 2/3rd grade I/VE! I haven't met with my CCT yet. I start next Tuesday. I am so excited!

24. podgybelle

podgybelle Rookie

Jan 8, 2010

I'm student teaching Jan 19 to April 30, and I'm so nervous! I get an inferiority complex when I'm around the other student teachers; I just feel so inexperienced next to them. I hope we can all support each other here =)

25. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jan 8, 2010

Unfortunately, I don't know yet where I will be student teaching - seems that my university is having a tough time placing students (see other thread in this category).

26. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 8, 2010

Oh, that stinks!!!!! I at least know my school! ugh- I am sorry. I know how anxious I am to meet my teacher and all- I cannot imagine not even having my school! argh! That would be super frustrating! Here, I am whining I do not know my teacher or grade level lol. They told us the first of the month- they made it like they were waiting on our paper work. The P told us she had everything set and all placements decided, but she would not tell us because there might be changes because one girl was waiting confirmation that she passed her MTEL- well she got the pass on the 28th! We are all still waiting though. I sympathize with you.

As a previous poster was saying about support, I am definitely here to support you all and I know I am going to need it too! This is an amazing forum. I absolutely love it here!

27. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 8, 2010

What is I/VE? Intensive... hmm, I am lost.

Ugh! You have not met your CT yet and you start sooo soon! drats! I think it will end up the same at my placement. But I am going to a professional development day there on the 19th so that is wicked cool. Maybe I will get to meet her/him then! yay! Good luck! Keep us posted!

28. CDV3888

CDV3888 Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

My CT and I played phone tag for a bit but we are meeting tomorrow. I was going to meet her last Friday but I was so sick and my eyes were red and puffy so it was best this way.
    I/VE =Independent/Varying Execeptionalities :)

29. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jan 13, 2010

I'm meeting my CT tomorrow morning and the other CT the next morning! Sooooo nervous! Wish me luck everyone =)

30. Traveller698

Traveller698 Rookie

Jan 13, 2010

I begin my student teaching on Jan 25th and it lasts for 14 weeks. I have 2 cooperating teachers who are responsible for me. One coop teaches only math and the other only language arts. I'll spend my day working with both of them. Some of the class periods I will teach 3rd grade and others I will teach 5th grade. Seems confusing now but I'm excited and looking forward to these new challenges. I'm ready to get out of the college classroom and into my new teaching classroom.

31. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jan 13, 2010

I finally got my ST placement, and thank heavens, it will be at my first choice school site! I will be meeting the CT this Friday and start observations the following week! I am excited and apprehensive at the same time.

32. Hello.Mitra

Hello.Mitra Rookie

Jan 17, 2010

I start my first internship next week, and am so excited! I am with 2nd grade for the first half and 4th (which I really enjoy!) grade for the second half.

My placement is in a school about 30 minutes away, with traffic, and I have student taught here many times. It was one of my requests, so I am happy to go back to this school.

I e-mailed my first supervising teacher a week ago; however, I have yet to hear back from her :\ I guess she will get her introduction done on the first day.

The only thing that stresses me out is the workload expected from me from the three classes I am taking at my university! I cannot believe how much they are expecting the junior interns to do while in their placement. This is a great experience to try a lot of techniques out and become comfortable with them.

I'm so excited!

33. cnc

cnc Rookie

Jan 18, 2010

I start student teaching this week, and I am so anxious. I will be teaching high school English, both general and honors classes. I'm so nervous that I will mess up, yet I am excited because I know this will be a great experience for me.

34. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jan 19, 2010

Yep, I will finally be starting this week, observing classes to start. It was a bit hectic getting my placement done - hopefully it will be good.

35. TXTeacher2Be

TXTeacher2Be Rookie

Jan 20, 2010

I just joined the group...and just started my first day of student teaching today. My mentor teacher is great! I feel very lucky to be in her class. I am going to learn so much.

36. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 21, 2010

Welcome and good luck!

37. TXTeacher2Be

TXTeacher2Be Rookie

Jan 21, 2010

Thanks SwOcean Gal!