Student Teaching Situation

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by filochica, Aug 19, 2008.

1. filochica

filochica Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

I've posted before b/c I just started setting up my CT's classroom with her (student teaching begins 8/25). My teacher is very rude and I wanted to get people's opinion on a certain situation: I was told to set up a bulletin board and had a hard time setting it up- it took quite some time. I find it hard to balance the paper and staple without someone holding the other end. My teacher saw that it was taking a long time and did nothing. When I finished, she told me that it wasn't cutting it, not up to her standards, looked sloppy and that there was no pattern to the lettering I used and that it took too long. I redid it and it was fine but I felt so humiliated. Should I have already known how to do the bulletin board or should she have helped me? I feel so stupid and don't know why I had a hard time with this task. The boards are all done thankfully, but does anyone have tips for the future???? Thanks for reading.

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 19, 2008

Whether the bulletin board was done the way she would have done it or not, it was very rude of her to speak to you that way. Honestly, I would contact my college supervisor asap to see about the possibility of a new placement before school starts.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

If you can't reach because the paper is too big-either ask if she can help hold it up, or see if another teacher will help. There are so many teachers in my school who would help with bulletin boards if needed. Next time just ask before doing it if there is a certain way she wants things done. You are a different person, so of course your bulletin boards are not going to look exactly like what she has pictured in her mind!

I also agree that you should let your supervisor know what is going on!

5. filochica

filochica Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

Luckily my school is departmentalized so I will only be with her in September- then I switch. However, I feel disheartened by her rude attitude and am so glad others agree that this was rude. I had asked her to hold the paper the other day and she seemed very annoyed so I was too intimidated to ask her again.

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

Even if you are only going to be with her in September, I would let your college supervisor know what is going on now just in case anything else happens in the future.
    If the teacher saw that you were having difficulty and didn't help you, and then told you that is was wrong, that was very rude of her. No, you should not have known how to do a bulletin board by yourself...that is very difficult!! She is there to help you and teach you, not to criticize the things you do (IMO). If you are stuck with her for a month, I would just make sure that you ask her if there is any certain way that she wants lessons done, or projects, or anything, so you don't end up doing everything twice...that will be a lot of wasted time! Good luck! :)

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2008

UGH! That's why it's called "Student" teaching! You are NOT supposed to know this stuff yet. You are learning! I would call my supervisor as well. As long as you are doing the best you can, she should see this. I'm sorry that she is being so rude to you. :(

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 19, 2008

Hun, go to your supervisor. Aren't you the one that is having other problems with your "cooperative" teacher? You really need to talk to your supervisor ASAP. This does not sound it will be a good month or couple of weeks or whatever.

9. filochica

filochica Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

I appreciate everyone reading this and writing such helpful things. I am glad to know that bulletin boards are difficult when you do them for the first time. I have no idea why she let me continue working if she saw me struggling- thankfully they're done because I felt like a complete idiot trying to put it together and then when she got angry with me, I wanted to sink into the floor.

10. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

I had my husband (who is about to student teach in high school..) hang my paper for me on one board this year. He had the worst time in the world hanging the paper. I couldn't help but laugh at how crazy he looked. I eventually helped him wrangle the paper.

Long story short: that paper is hard for a lot of people to do. When I put a board up myself I use my head, foot, knees.. all parts of my body to keep that paper from falling on the floor while I staple it.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 19, 2008

I have a hard time doing bulletin boards by myself and I have been teaching for over 5 years. I am short so I usually have to stand on a chair if nobody is there to help! What I do is take a thumbtack or 2 and put the paper up where I sort of want it. THen I can adjust it before stapling it. It helps when I don't have an extra pair of hands. Please let us know if you need any other help since this "cooperating" teacher doesn't seem like too much of one!

12. filochica

filochica Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

Thanks everyone for all your help. I probably will post on here a lot- I feel better knowing that bulletin boards aren't the easiest task in the world. When my teacher got angry, I really felt like this must be such an easy task. Not only that, she got angry when teaching me how to use a machine for cutting letters out (forgot what it's called). I am trying my best and was excited to student teach but am now counting down the days until I get to work with the other teachers!

13. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 19, 2008

I agree with everyone! Let your supervisor know the situation. Even if they don't switch your placement at least the supervisor will know what is going on. That way if for some reason your cooperating teacher feels a need to complain about something silly you've done the supervisor will know that it is probably not as bad as the cooperating teaching is making it sound.

I don't know if this would actually happen, but then you will if safe just in case it does.

14. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 19, 2008

Whoooeee. You are working with a real sweetheart, aren't you?

Bulletin Boards are hard. My aid made most of mine today. :D I'm 'artistically impaired' when it comes to these things.

Hey, can you make friends with your school secretary? They can be great resources with regards to how die-cut machines work, copiers, etc.

Good luck! ST is only for a short time, and just think some day you'll get to be a nice CT for someone in the future! :)

15. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 19, 2008

Sounds like your CT just wanted an personal assistant to do the hard work for her. I hope she is more supportive when it comes to actual teaching of students.

I would document how she treats you so you have something to show your supervisor. Student teaching is scary enough without a rude CT. Hang in there and kill her with kindness!

16. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2008

The Ellison-:)

17. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 19, 2008

I agree 100 % don't stay where you are not wanted. She is probably getting free classes for having you there. She probably doesn't care and wants to make it hard on you which isn't right. Her being rude is outrageous. I would talk with your Super.

18. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 19, 2008

Maybe she needs a hormone shot or something. Don't put up with someone being that ugly to you. I agree with everyone above, you might have to stay with her but you're ST supervisor should be aware there's a problem. You're there to learn and she should have a teaching spirit toward you. I'm feeling sorry for the kids in her class too!

19. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 19, 2008

TALK TO SOMEONE NOW!!! I mean it! I was in a situation in the spring with my cooperating teacher. I chalked it up to personality conflicts, but it was more than that. I didn't say anything to my supervising professor, because 1. I felt like I could handle it, 2. I felt silly complaining 3. I wasn't sure if I was right or wrong. I really regret not going to my college supervisor at the very start. Maybe things would have been different somehow. You would be surprised at how much this lady's hatefulness and coldness will cut you down and make you question things you do. I really lost some of my confidence, and am still paying for it now. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!! Seriously, don't just chalk this up to being different. Maybe things will get better, but always cover yourself to be safe.

20. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2008

Bulletin boards are not even the most important thing a teacher does. Sure, it's great if you make them look nice and cute. But in all honesty, the purpose of them is to convey information and display student work.

You're a teacher, not an interior decorator.

21. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 23, 2008

Bulletin boards are tricky. :woot: I have large ones so I use smaller sheets of paper and go top to bottom instead of across (I learned this with trial & error). You can use glue to hold the seams together. I also sometimes use a tack before stapling if it is especially tricky. Good luck with ST. I had an awful experience too, but got through it. Just do your best to do what she asks. :hugs:

22. clctchr

clctchr New Member

Aug 23, 2008

HI...I'm new to this forum, but thought I'd give you my thoughts on the situation. I would, as many have suggested, contact your supervisor. It definitely seems like this teacher doesn't want to put in the time or effort that goes with accepting a student teacher. I have had student teachers in the past and have bent over backwards to make their stay in my classroom as pleasant as possible. Since school may not have started yet, you may be able to get a different placement with someone who will appreciate you. Good luck!

23. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

I agree - she should have helped, or at least offered help, and given you some directions for what she expected/wanted done. I would make sure to let your college advisor know right away - because you don't want her to write a poor recommendation for you.

For the future - I invested in a cheap staple gun. I always have another teacher (or my husband) hang the paper up. The staple gun makes things a lot easier - and I now end up borrowing it out to the rest of the teachers in my wing when I'm done :lol:. Good luck!

24. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 23, 2008

Yet another reason why I don't look forward to doing bbs.

25. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

Tacks work wonders and on the longer boards go vertically instead of horizontally. I got my backgrounds hung on Wednesday.

26. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 23, 2008

She should be grateful that you are going in early to help her set up HER classroom!! I tack up my fabric on my bbs before I staple them.

27. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 23, 2008

How are things going? What did you decide to do?