Student teaching question...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rennie15, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Rennie15

Rennie15 Rookie

Jan 18, 2012

Hello all!! Happy New Year to everyone!

I have a question regarding my upcoming student teaching. I asked my placement coordinator and she didn't really have an answer for me, so I thought you guys may!

Sooo.. Short version is, I was placed in the high school I graduated from a few years ago, with a teacher who used to teach me. I am unsure how I should address him now, I feel calling him Mr.Orange is what I should be doing, but now our relationship is different from when I was his student. Do you guys prefer to be called Mr or Mrs, or by your first name? I really don't want to come across as disrespectful, or for that matter, dumb on my first day. Thank you everyone in advance!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2012

Ask him what he prefers to be called. No one here can tell you that.

In general, though, I think that it's best to address your mentor teachers as Mr./Ms./Mrs. Lastname unless they ask you to call them something else.

4. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 18, 2012

I would go in calling him Mr. _____. He'll tell you if he wants you to call him by his first name.

I work with my old teachers where I sub. There's some of them that I will never be able to call by their first name. Every time I see my high school french teacher she gets after me for calling her Madame and wants me to use her first name. I respect her too much as a teacher (and she's also old enough to be my grandmother) to call her anything else.

5. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jan 18, 2012

I agree. It's more, for me, as a title of respect for my teachers and elders (and I'm now one of the "elders!)
    I call teachers at the school where I teach by Mr/Mrs/Ms and their last name in front of students...again, a matter of respect.
    But if my former teachers asked me to call them by their first names, I would try...not sure I could do it, though (smile!)

6. Rennie15

Rennie15 Rookie

Jan 18, 2012

Ok! Thank you everyone :)

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2012

Definitely ask the teacher.

We were not allowed to student teach in the school where we graduated, but I worked there. I called all the teacher Mr./Mrs. like I had when I was a student. They typically called me Miss LastName, although they had called me by my first name as a student.

8. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Jan 18, 2012

Two scenarios:

You: "Hi Mr. Lastname! It's great to see you again! I look forward to working with you."
    Him: "Looking forward to working with you too, Rennie."
    Call him Mr. Lastname in this scenario.

You: "Hi Mr. Lastname! It's great to see you again! I look forward to working with you."
    Him: "Oh please, Mr. Lastname is my dad! Call me Bob. Looking forward to working with you too, Rennie."
    Call him Bob in this scenario.

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2012

I always called my co-op teachers Mrs./Miss lastname until they specifically told me I could call them by their first name. No one is ever going to be offended if you're "too polite", but it is possible someone might be offended if you're "too informal", so I always say it's better to be safe than sorry!

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2012

I agree! Stick with the last name until you are given permission to use first names.