Student Teaching Dilemma

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by myownwoman, Apr 6, 2013.

1. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 6, 2013

Hello fellow teachers! I hope all of you are having a enjoyable weekend.

I will be student teaching this fall (August/September) and am having a hard time deciding where. I need some advice or helpful suggestions as to what to do.

I'll be enrolling in Teacher Ready, an alternative teacher certification program based from University of West Florida. Teacher candidates study completely online (submit assignments online and interact with professors and classmates via email/discussion forum). The student teaching portion will be done in your local community. The program takes only 9 months, as opposed to the traditional 1-2 years. Teacher Ready is accredited and accepted by school districts as legitimate. Many teachers have gotten job offers from getting their credentials through this route. The tuition is only $4,500 which you can pay in monthly installments. You can also apply for loans/financial aid to assist you in your studies.

http://teacherready.org/

If I live in SF, the school district is always looking for teachers. If I impress them enough I may be offered a job. I am not getting my hopes up but I'll do my best. This is awesome and I cannot wait to begin.

This is the area I need advice on. I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area my whole life. I am torn between moving to LA or staying (close to home, family, and friends) here. I love LA and would love to teach and live there. However I have to drive everywhere and the traffic is abysmal. If I stay in SF I can take public transportation, be close to home, and everything I'm used to.

Also I am planning to move out of my parents' house, renting an apartment with roommates, and be independent. I have found some great places and am excited to begin the next adventure of my life. Though paying rent + tuition of the school can be quite tricky. I can apply for loans and hope I can be forgiven for them. Meaning I am looking to work in a high-needs area (special education). Hopefully I don't have to pay back my loans, or at least a fraction of the total bill.

I look forward to all your suggestions and I really appreciate your help.

Thank you so much!:thumb:

3. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 6, 2013

Thank you HeartDrama. Your suggestions are helping me make the right decision. I think I may stay in SF which will greatly cut down on moving costs. I hope I can be a full time teacher in any neighboring districts. I'll research the possibilities for any answers.

Take care and Happy Saturday!:)

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 6, 2013

From what I have seen, there are far more jobs in the Bay Area than in the LA area, especially in elementary.

I've never heard of this program - it sounds interesting - will you have a California teaching credential and CLAD embedded? Public and charter schools will require this.

5. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Apr 13, 2013

Good luck with this exciting new chapter in hour life! I haven't heard of the Teacher Ready program, but I would research it a bit more before making a commitment.

This page says you will earn a Florida teaching credential:

http://teacherready.org/completion

But the California Department of Education clearly states you cannot teach in CA unless you have a California credential:

http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/out-of-state.html

I have heard talk of "reciprocity" between states, but teachers I have known who have tried a move have not found it so easy. One friend with a CA teaching credential, moving from CA to Oregon, said it took her a year to get her Oregon credential. They accepted most of her coursework, but required he to take all new subject matter exams, as California has the CSET, but Oregon only recognizes the Praxis exams, if I recall correctly.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 13, 2013

myownwoman, I might recommend taking your course list to one of the local county offices of education and discussing it with a credential analyst there, so you know how much you'll need to get outside the Florida-oriented program to make California happy. At the very least, I think yellowdaises is right that you'll need to do something about the CLAD endorsement, or whatever Sacramento is calling it these days, that allows you to teach English learners: it's been mandatory in California's teacher-ed programs at least since 2003, but I don't know that Florida teacher training has a direct equivalent.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 13, 2013

For the CLAD endorsement you can take a test (It's called CTEL) and that's it. It's the same type of test, administered by the same organization as the CSET CBEST, etc.

It sounds like it would be easier if you stayed close to home. I would really not make long term plans right now. Your main focus is to get through student teaching, and it's not easy. You can make it easier on yourself if you have family close by, and you don't have to stress about money, etc.
    Once you get your credential, or getting closer to it then you worry about getting a job. Like some one said, the chances of you getting offered a job in the same district is slim, so don't base your student teaching on the future.
    You can always try to get a job in LA and move there later.