Student Teaching Complete!!!!!

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by mom2sands, Dec 7, 2007.

1. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Dec 7, 2007

As of yesterday, I am finished!!!

I really need a break too. I'm mentally and physically exhausted. I don't plan on applying for any jobs until spring. For now, I'll be substituting, volunteering and tutoring. Actually getting a paycheck will be nice, no matter how much!

We're out of town for a couple of days visiting a college (VMI, Virginia Military Institute) for my son that is four hours away, so I was able to finish up my ST a day early. He has also applied to the Coast Guard Academy and a couple of other places. We're excited for him during this special time. A free education would be wonderful especially since mom has to pay back her student loans!:eek:hmy:

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2007

Congrats!!! Fingers crossed for the CG Academy!!!

4. roamer

roamer Companion

Dec 7, 2007

Congrats on both your accomplishment and your son's! I finished my student teaching today, but we have one more year before ds is ready for college (he's a junior now).

I will be subbing and should have an interview sometime next week for a temporary SOL resource teacher position (I'm playing phone tag with my school board contact). There should be a full time position opening up when the science teacher at one of our schools retires this year. I want his job so bad I can taste it. I've already rearranged the room and planned lessons in my mind.

I absolutely can't believe that I'm almost finished - graduation is next Friday. I'm so terrified that something will go wrong - that there's some paper that wasn't signed a year and a half ago and it's going to throw a monkey wrench into everything. My college is just disorganized enough for that to happen.

5. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Dec 8, 2007

I'm just finished student teaching. One more semester of student teaching left! I want a JOB!

Stephanie

6. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Dec 8, 2007

Congrats to all those who are finishing their student teaching! I don't think that it has hit me just yet that I'm actually done. I guess that once I have my license in hand, then reality will sink in.

The college visit with my son went really well. The weather was freezing the first day and there was ice in the morning too. We met some other parents and really had a good time.

To all those who are still finishing up or who are taking exams, it's almost over! Congrats!!

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Dec 11, 2007

8. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Dec 11, 2007

The date was very appropriate for your wowser of a last day! Sorry it had to be that way! I know what you mean about indentured servitude. It was very difficult not getting any pay for 14 weeks.

I took Monday off and this morning I got a call to sub for half a day for the gym teacher today. Tomorrow I'm 4th grade and Thursday I'm the librarian. They asked me to sub 4th grade on Friday, but I'm going out of town, so I had to turn it down. Finally I'm getting paid! I'm hoping that next week I get a full week of subbing with the exception of Friday of course since it's the last day before the holidays.

I have a tutoring job lined up for February that pays twice as much as subbing. I'll continue to sub and do some volunteering to pump up my resume.

9. roamer

roamer Companion

Dec 11, 2007

How funny that you phrased it that way. We were studying the colonies during my student teaching (also ended Friday) and when we talked about indentured servants, I used myself and the cooperating teachers as examples. I was the indentured servant and he was the skilled craftsman I was learning from.

10. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Dec 12, 2007

Hey Roamer,
    Where in Virginia are you?
    I just finished up my MS at ODU.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 16, 2007

I just finished my first block of student teaching. It sounds like our programs in Canada are a little different than yours. I have to do 4 blocks of student teaching - 1/semester, for 4 semesters. One down, three to go!

12. roamer

roamer Companion

Dec 17, 2007

MissScrimmage, that's why one of the girls I student taught with came to the states to get her degree. She said she would have to student teach for a year in Canada. We did it for 14 weeks. She'll have a few classes to pick up when she returns to Canada, but she said it saved her a lot of time to do it here.

mom2sands...I'm in Southwest Virginia. I graduated from Virginia Intermont College.

13. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Dec 17, 2007

I know someone who graduated from there. It's well known for being an equestrian school, isn't it? I was just in Lexington at VMI for a prospective student weekend and in Salem at Roanoake College to visit my husband's cousin's daughter weekend before last.

ODU is in Norfolk. Their teacher program is 5 years and includes a master's degree. Graduation was yesterday, but I didn't participate since I marched for my bachelor's just a year ago.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 18, 2007

Roamer - the requirements vary by province in Canada. Since education is under provincial legislation, there are different requirements in every province.
    I only do about 20 weeks of student teaching in total, but it is spread out over 4 semesters. I do on average, 5 weeks per semester. I get to experience 2 different schools (1 per year).

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 27, 2007

Congrats! I wonder how that feels...but I'll know in 3 weeks!! Although I have absolutely loved both of my student teaching experiences, I'm ready to get my own classroom...and get a paycheck, like you said...any amount of money-it doesn't matter!! hehe. Good luck with what the future brings! :)