Student Teaching begins in a month

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by bros, Aug 5, 2013.

1. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 4, 2014

Ran into one of my cooperating teachers today at the store, her family was there with her (I recognized her son as he would drop by occasionally). Walked over, said hello, we talked for a bit. She said I should get on the sub list and she said that on Thursday when the afternoon rolled around, all of the kids were wondering where I was.

2. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 4, 2014

Where have you applied and for what positions?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2014

You hadn't already got on the sub list?

4. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 4, 2014

No open positions that I have been able to find.

No. Need to find out how to get the paperwork and stuff. Instructions aren't clear on the district site at all.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2014

Nice to hear from you Bros. Keep us updated with the job hunt.

6. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jan 4, 2014

If she mentioned you get on the sub list, then it sounds like she would request you.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 4, 2014

Probably. She usually gets a retired teacher that she taught with for ~10 years as a sub, but sometimes, she is busy, or asked to sub in another room.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 6, 2014

Got my final grade in. B+.

My cumulative GPA is 3.605.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 6, 2014

You need to get on sub lists NOW. If the instructions aren't clear, call whoever deals with subs.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 6, 2014

Got the paperwork, have to get one of my parents to fill it out for me, then I need to figure out how to get to a notary at my mom's work

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 6, 2014

Banks can notarize too. Don't wait. I'd think districts in your area have a lot of subs.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2014

Bros...there shouldn't be too much 'figuring out' when it comes to finding a notary. Your town offices will have one.

I know your fine motor skills might require you to have your parents fill out your sub applications, but as mentioned many times in this long thread, you need to find ways to do these things for yourself. Is there an online application? What will you do when you need to fill out the daily sub report, the forms for getting paid as a sub? Have you considered that some districts require a writing sample? (my district gives the prompt to candidates to complete as they are awaiting their interview). These are all very important concerns to think about...those who might hire you will be thinking these same thoughts.

Good luck to you. Hoping to hear good things from you:thumb:

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 6, 2014

Yeah, a notary is the least of your trouble. Worst-case scenario, your post office will be able to point you in the right direction. You'd be very surprised at how many secretaries are also notary publics.

Tomorrow is Tuesday... guessing your nearby districts are closed tomorrow, but set a goal for yourself. Finish submitting all the sub applications (not filling out... submitting) by close of business on Friday.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 6, 2014

I'm one of those people who would have to figure it out if I ever needed a notary. I wouldn't offhand know where to find one without either googling or asking. I have used one a total of zero times in my life.

Bros, I wonder if there are programs that allow you to scan, convert the document then type on it. Something I saw on the app market recently made me think of this suggestion but I don't remember exactly what the features I read were.

15. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Jan 6, 2014

I believe Adobe Acrobat Pro can do this.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2014

There's no reason to think NJ districts would be closed tomorrow....most have returned from the holiday break...it's going to be REALLY cold tomorrow, but other than a few possible delayed openings due to ice, the majority of districts will be open.
    You can get this all done this week, bros...go for it!

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 6, 2014

I agree with cza.

You cannot have your mom fill out all the paperwork that comes across your desk. You really can't. You must find a solution that will get you by at school (and home).

18. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 7, 2014

They do have lots of subs, but they can always use more.

The figuring out for an notary was more figuring out how to get to my town's police station where my mom works, because there's a notary there who'll notarize the documents for free for me.

There is no online sub application.

The district has direct deposit only for subs. I have to provide the Direct Deposit info with the sub application, I am in the process of setting up a bank account for that purpose, as I do not want sub pay & SSI to be in the same bank account.

I did not know that district required writing samples. I saw in some job applications that they wanted answers to questions like what qualities do you think make an excellent educator, how would you help a wide variety of learners in your classroom, etc.

The district I live in is not closed tomorrow (they weren't closed today either). I'm applying for my sub paperwork through them. I need to get a county sub certificate from a district before I can submit applications to other districts.

I could possibly use my scanner, scan it as a PDF, then use FoxIt Phantom to type on it, then hope when it prints out, it comes out decently.

My dad and I filled out the application tonight. Need to wait for my second bank account to be set up - they said within 1-3 business days. Then fill out the direct deposit enrollment form and somehow get a ride to the high school when the woman who deals with sub applicants is there.

Tomorrow I have to see an oral surgeon about two impacted & two partially erupted wisdom teeth. Already arranged who will cover what with three different insurance companies, so that is dealt with.

One possibility is using a printer's scanner, turn it to PDF, and type with that.

Or use my tablet, scan as PDF, type with that on my laptop if at school, then hook up to the printer, or export to a flash drive and print from a computer.

If I had tried to fill out the paperwork by hand, it would've taken my two hours. It took me and my dad 30-45 minutes to do it. I had to sign my name so much that even with my weighted pen my hand was throbbing.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2014

Besides direct deposit, you may need to fill out a voucher with the district or your monthly sub days. There WILL BE daily reports and other paperwork you'll be expected to fill out as a sub. Writing samples on interviews are not uncommon...perhaps you could bring a laptop on interviews and email to the hiring committee...best to be prepared for such a circumstance.:thumb:

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2014

Why don't you want your SSI and sub payments deposited into the same account? If you don't mind me asking, of course. I know you're not trying to hide income, as just having two accounts won't really do that, but I'm curious.

21. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 8, 2014

It's easier for the SSA to keep track of what is what.

It's the same reason why I cannot deposit anything into my bank account, then the SSA would consider it an asset.

If I have direct deposit go into my SSI checking account, they might consider everything in there a resource by accident, causing me to lose SSI for a period of time.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2014

But isn't earned income an asset? Are you not reporting your income to the disability office? I'm confused.

23. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 8, 2014

I will be reporting income to the SSA. Earned income is subject to the Earned Income Exclusion, after the first $65 earned each month, $1 for every $2 earned detracts from SSI.

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2014

So I guess I'm still confused as to why it matters that you put your earned income into a separate account.

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2014

Yeah, I admit to still being confused. I am NOT saying I am accurately assessing the situation, but it seems fraudulent. Whether you won $5,000 lottery or subbed, shouldn't it be counted as an asset? I mean, both are assets. Right?

:confused:

26. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2014

Is this so you can do the accounting more easily by keeping your earned money in a different account than your government provided income? That way you can see the amount made per month more easily instead of having to try to do the accounting with all funds in one register?

I can see if you struggle with math that this might be a strategy to make sure you are more careful about where the funds come from and how much you are getting because as you work more and SSI gives less you can see it more easily.

Question is do you move money to a different account for spending? I have a friend that has always done that. Every month a certain amount is moved from the account where the money is deposited to an account from which she writes checks and uses the debit card.

27. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 9, 2014

Let's use winning $5000 in the lottery as an example. There are actually windfall stipulations in the law, where you need to use the funds within 30 (or it might be 60) days of receipt.

Basically, if you have just SSI money in one account and nothing else is put in it, there is no chance of them accidentally counting a SSI payment as income.

I already have an excel spreadsheet set up tracking my spending to make sure I don't exceed the SSI resource limits.

I do not move money to a different account for spending - I only have a checking account.

28. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

So i'm recovering from my wisdom tooth surgery and haven't been spending much time on my computer the past week - maybe 5-10 minutes a day, then the rest of the day on the couch or listening to music/on chat programs on my cell phone.

Today I decided to check the NJ DoE website, which has an application status page where you enter your SSN and find out the status of your application. I was checking almost daily before the surgery, I think I checked on Friday, but nothing was showing up. Checked today, and it shows that they received paperwork on 2/10 and the status is Issued.

Yay

29. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Feb 12, 2014

Congratulations! Thanks for the update!

30. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2014

Congrats

31. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 19, 2014

Got my certificates in the mail today. Probably would've gotten them yesterday if the mailman had delivered the mail yesterday.

32. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

Feb 25, 2014

I currently have my temporary certificate. I am in a program at my school where if you currently have a Bachelor's that is in a non-education field, (mine is in History) you take so many classes to help you prepare for the teaching field and for your certificate. Or in my case a permanent one. I should be observing soon. Really excited about that!

33. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 26, 2014

Good luck with your alternate cert.

34. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

Feb 26, 2014

Thank you!