Student Teaching begins in a month

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by bros, Aug 5, 2013.

1. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 11, 2013

There isn't really much in the way of apartments around here, as it is a largely suburban area.

If I were to live in an apartment, further costs would have to be factored in, including transportation to doctors appointments (including a weekly appointment), along with food, as I cannot cook. I know how to cook, but don't have the coordination to wield a knife and other cutlery effectively (or without injury).

My commute is just over a mile currently. So yeah. It's rather expensive.

The wording of the question is slightly confusing. If I respond in the affirmative, is that stating that I do require accommodations? If so, I suppose I would answer that I require access to technology in the classroom, or at the least, access to things (such as electric sockets for a projector) that would allow me to implement my own accommodations.

Yeah, I know it is hard to get a job. Tonight in my class, the professors asked who had gotten interviews. Two people out of ~50 attending had been on interviews or were going to be interviewed. Most had gotten outright denials because they don't have a certificate in hand already.

2. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2013

I don't know how you can avoid the needing accommodations question...especially since you can't write, form numbers, use your hands normally, lift things, have a balance issue, etc. These are things an administrator needs to know because they may be safety issues.
    You also will need to let them know that you can't teach without an assortment of technology equipment.

You say you have lots of doctors appts...how will you handle those appts without taking time off every week to go?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2013

In my mind, that's the $64 million question. It's the question in the back of the mind of every parent I know-- what can I do to ensure that my kid(s) can eventually live as an independent adult?

Bros, that's the spirit behind a lot of these questions. We're trying to prod and push you into a direction that will help ensure that eventual independence: a career where you can
    1) find a job
    2) find success
    3) eventually achieve financial independence
    4) eventually find a way to live independently, or to formulate a plan for a way to live out your adulthood if independence isn't possible.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 12, 2013

There are programs out there for people like Bros. I don't know if they exist in his area or not but I work for one such organization. The problem is state funding is so tight that often it takes a crisis or something like the parents are getting up there in age to get them in. There are various levels. Some people live independently but have someone stop by the house daily or weekly to fulfill certain functions. Others have full time house staff and live with 2 or 3 other similar individuals.

Some of these same people hold down full time employment.

Bros, I'm sure you've checked into programs in your area and I know not all areas are created equal, but I'm surprised you haven't mentioned transportation designed specifically to transport people with disabilities. Anything like that in your area?

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2013

We have programs like that here but the wait list is 10 years :-(

I have my own concerns because my son will never live on his own and we aren't getting any younger...

6. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 12, 2013

My weekly appointment is in the evening.

My other appointments are usually during the summer.

When I get blood drawn, I get it done on weekends.

There's county transit for people over 65 & for those receiving SSI or SSDI. They require transportation to be booked 7 days in advance.

How would I search for a program that helps keep people with disabilities independent, any terms I might use? There's probably one in NJ, either publicly or through a private organization.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 12, 2013

Get on lists now. All of them if possible.

Like I said, wait lists here are bad too but there usually is an exception when there are elderly parents involved.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 12, 2013

A relative of mine used this excuse to not sign up for a program. Her dad was not happy that she didn't sign up. His reasoning is that every day not on the list is another day farther away from getting to the top and anything can change in 10 years. If you are not on the list there is never a chance. It may not help now, but when you get to the top, if you still need help, you can get it. If you aren't on the list, you never have a chance of getting help. Also, most times when you hear a waitlist is 10 years long it is overblown and there are lots of people on that list that no longer need the help.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 12, 2013

I graduated high school with a girl who had a variety of disabilities. When we graduated, she functioned at about a 1st-2nd grade level. She has some physical disabilities, specifically with her dexterity.

Her main goal was always to be able to live on her own.

She will always require close monitoring, and won't live far from her parents. But she was able to get a low income apartment (in a town of 400), and was able to live and hold a job on her own. Recently, she moved to Lincoln to be close to her sister. She has lived in our little town her whole life, and made the transition and is doing quite well.

I say all this, bros, not to try to make comparisons, but just to ask...you've told us a lot about what you CAN'T do...what CAN you do?

You say you can't cook because you can't hold a knife. You don't have to chop to cook. You can buy precut onions and peppers. People are available to help prep food for a week. Perhaps your parents would be able to help.

There are ways, if you want it. I don't pretend to know everything about your life and decisions you and your family have to make, but you are a smart, capable person.

Why sell yourself so short? Are you really going to be satisfied living with your parents and taking cabs your whole life?

Either get busy living, or don't. But don't sit here and tell me you CAN'T ever do for yourself-there are people out there who would be very envious of the skills you have.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 12, 2013

I guess i sell myself short because I have low self esteem or something i don't know

11. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Dec 12, 2013

That isn't an acceptable answer anymore bros. You're an adult and you need to get over it. There are people without limbs who are living on their own and making the best of their situations, but not you. And you haven't answered our question: WHAT are you going to do when something happens to your parents? are you the slightest bit prepared?

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 12, 2013

My two cents:

Let Bro concentrate on one thing at a time. Right now that is student teaching and looking towards a job. The rest, he should look into but he can't solve everything in one day like it seems this thread wants.

As for how to find the program, I'm not sure. See if your state has a Developmental Disabilities Administration of some sort. Go through your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. Basically--concentrate on what is in front of you at the moment but keep this in mind and start asking questions anywhere you can.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2013

The one thing that needs to be concentrated on is what's best for kids. How many parents here would feel confident with a child in bros' class? Not trying to be a downer, but the reaiity is, this is what is going to be the question hiring committees ask themselves as the students should ALWAYS, ALWAYS come first...not teacher needs.

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 12, 2013

Agreed. It's not pleasant to think about, but bros is going to face an incredible hurdle trying to convince a panel of educators that he is truly the best teacher for kids, and the fact that he has a very limited range of schools he can go to... and the fact that he'll be competing against hundreds of others for those limited number of jobs. The fact that he is barely eking out a passing score for student teaching isn't going to do much to inspire confidence, especially since within the district, these cooperating teachers WILL have an impact.

15. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 12, 2013

There's NJ DDS.

Not going to post much about my student teaching. My afternoon CT today asked me if I have been saying any negative things about my placement. I think she was asking in reference to my night class, where I obviously have said nothing negative (and I assured her of such), but yeah. Now i'm paranoid.

I did see her talking to the other student teacher who is in my night class a few times today. So maybe she misinterpreted something that I stated.

We will see what my final grade will be - my evaluations from my supervisor have improved and my CTs seem to think i've improved I think? So i'll do better than just passing.

Hey, it's better than some (like 3-4) people in my night class whose supervisors are giving them perfect grades and who knew from the beginning they were going to get perfect grades - because their supervisors told them that they don't give anything less than 100% in every single area of evaluation unless the person is completely unable to perform in the area, then they are given a 3/5.

16. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Dec 12, 2013

Or your CT is reading this board and notices how you don't take any responsibility for your actions and put the blame on someone else.

And no. Your situation is NOT better than them. You are *barely passing* and yet you expect to be left in charge of young minds?

Has your principal came to observe you yet? Have you even asked? Have you even recorded yourself yet?

17. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 13, 2013

The principal just returned this week after being out for a week plus a few days due to personal reasons (health issues). She'll be observing the staff up to the winter break, so there's no time for her to observe me.

Yes, I recorded myself last week.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2013

Bros, you seem to be awfully judgemenal of those who are in positions of influence over you....your CTs, principal, supervisor....and while judging them you have taken minimal responsibility for your own struggles, challenges, failures and most importantly, student learning.

19. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 13, 2013

I'm not being judgmental.

Do you want me to post my daily reflection in deep detail as to how I feel each day goes, the positives and the negatives? I only post about the thins that concern me the most, which are usually things said by someone in a position of influence, as those are the most pressing/concerning issues for me.

Today, the kids in the afternoon class were told that after next week, I won't be coming in anymore.

Their questions ranged from "Are you retiring?" to "Are you going to come back after Christmas?" to "Are you going to go to first grade now that you did Kindergarten?"

I'm gonna miss the kids in this school. And after this year, they won't even be together anymore, they'll be spread out across the district, not to fully come together again until 7th grade.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2013

I think along with your thoughts and judgements of your setting, what would have been productive for you would have been a reflection on your teaching, your thinking, your growth...we've seen little of that.

21. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Dec 13, 2013

After reading too many of these posts, all I can say is...wow. Bros, I hope things work out for you and you complete your education. Be sure to get some career counseling and utilize your university's placement office; they will help you fine tune your resumes and provide you with many job leads for some time after graduation.

Also, I must say that many of the responses sound mean spirited, and at times, just plain vitriolic. I understand the concerns that many people have about Bros' various disabilities that will prevent him from doing the job of a teacher. I get that. I truly do. But, whether or not Bros is cut out for teaching or capable of teaching is not our judgment to make. He is attending an accredited university (I believe, at least) administered by competent professionals. He is student teaching under other competent professionals (again, I believe). And, he will be interviewing with people competent enough to determine the best use of his skills within their organizations. Let these people, and Bros, determine the direction he should take with his career. Also, with the tough job market, he may not be competitive enough to be hired and may be forced to expand his job search. Fine. But, to tell him what he is and isn't capable of just isn't right. Yes, Bros seems to make lots of excuses for himself and needs to mature in many ways. However, it seems that a few people are having a field day kicking someone who is down, and I feel a certain type of way about that.

22. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2013

I agree with you. I don't believe I've posted in this thread yet, but have read all of it. There's no reason why we can't be kind- no matter what your opinion is.

23. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 13, 2013

I cannot believe some of the posts have not been deleted. Some of them are downright bullying and some are about things that are absolutely none of our business and do not have to do with teaching.

I feel like because bros has been answering everything people are feeling free to say meaner and meaner things. And that those who feel they are helping (myself included) are really not. I think by now bros knows he is in for a difficult interviewing time, like all new teachers. I don't see what other helpful information people can give.

24. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 13, 2013

Bros, I think you have gotten good advice from a lot of people in this thread. I also think some people have been unkind to you and should take a step back. I wish you the best and hope you find something you can be successful in, whatever that may be:)

25. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 14, 2013

Let's see.

Honestly, at the beginning of the semester, I was incredibly nervous, because - well, Kindergarten wasn't what I was expecting. I've gotten better at teaching - i've started to solidify a teaching style that suits me, at least for Kindergarten (At least when I am not sick and not able to talk very loud).

My classroom management techniques have begun to mature, but aren't fully developed yet. I think on my final evaluation, use of the voice as a tool and classroom management will be two areas of concern, but not severe concern.

What i'm most worried about is the fact that, if all goes well, I will be done with college. I will be done with formal education. I have never not been in school. This is a very odd thought. I'm the kind of person who likes routines. I try to gradually ease into routine changes. But with this, it will be sudden - one week i'll be going to school every day, listening to conversations in the staff room with familiar faces whom you have gleaned some information about, doing a whole variety of lessons with the kids, reading them all kinds of books, teaching them a whole bunch of things - then the next week [that school is in session] I'll be doing nothing. I'll have finished college. I'll be trying to look for a job, but that's it.

My university is accredited.

I know an interview will be a harrowing experience - my father interviews people in his line of work. He tries to psych me out for interviews... when I don't even have any yet. All it does is make me nervous when he tries to prepare me with canned answers. He doesn't even know anything about teaching.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2013

Bros...would you consider asking the P at your ST school for a mock interview to practice your skills?

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 14, 2013

If he is interested in placement at that school, I wouldn't ask for a mock interview there. If he isn't, however, it would be a good opportunity.

28. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 14, 2013

Adorable response, really.

29. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 14, 2013

Not interested in a placement at the school - both the principal and I both know and acknowledged from the initial interview at the beginning of the semester that Kindergarten would be very difficult for me because of my disabilities. Kindergarten kids are awesome though.

Trust me, if you knew what college I went to, you'd find it.. interesting. If you want, i'll PM it to you.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2013

At the very least, he should seek an exit conversation of some sort....it would give him a chance to thank the P for the opportunity, express an interest in any openings that may arise, perhaps ask for a letter of rec.

31. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 14, 2013

Sure, I'd be interested in knowing out of curiosity.

32. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 14, 2013

Messaged.

33. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 16, 2013

Now it's time for the last week of my student teaching to start.

(well, when school starts in a little while)

34. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2013

Enjoy!

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2013

Go big...make an impression.

36. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 18, 2013

Supervisor came in today to do some final paperwork. She gave me a good score. My CTs didn't have time to meet in the past week to do theirs yet, though.

Just have tomorrow and friday left. :(

Found out that my morning CT is going to be getting another student teacher in the spring. Sorta bad for that student teacher, especially since her other CT (who is a great teacher) has said that because the student teacher will be with her in the afternoon, she won't get to do much, because by then, her students are wiped out and she mostly fills the afternoon with fluff. So that student teacher won't get the best experience either.

37. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Dec 18, 2013

Define good score? is it barely passing? more than barely passing?

Hopefully they have time to fill it out. It's not a good sign if they haven't taken the time to do it yet.

38. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 18, 2013

You'll know if teaching is for you by how much you miss it when you finish the ST.

Remember as you pursue jobs---it wasn't that your student teaching wasn't the best experience---it was how YOU made it the best you could.

39. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 18, 2013

Now that you have finished student teaching, can you offer any reflections on the experience? What were your successes? Challenges? Maybe your college courses are having you do that already.

40. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 18, 2013

Does this mean you successfully have completed the student teaching experience? If so CONGRATS! I know you had a rough time and a lot of it was out of your control.