Student Teaching begins in a month

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by bros, Aug 5, 2013.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2013

Good luck!

2. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Dec 9, 2013

Good luck today, dear. I am rooting for you!

Let us know how it goes(if you wish).

3. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 9, 2013

To preface, this is my prep right now and there is nothing I can do to assist anyone - already checked. I am prepared for all of my lessons and am practiced for my lessons today.

My supervisor came in 2 hours early today. She's been sick for the past week and hasn't read any emails, including my response to hers asking what time she should come in today.

That was fun, and my CT was out today. So we had to rush the end of morning meeting, then rush through my math lesson, because we had ~25 minutes until their special. The lesson went well, I think. No criticism was given. Only positive comments and how I have improved.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 9, 2013

Saw something... odd today.

The morning gen ed teacher was trying to get the kids to think of stuff to draw about what they did for the weekend, so she showed them a picture of what she did that weekend, and showed them a picture of her fiancee (first time they had seen a picture of him). One of the kids commented that they liked his facial hair, or something like that, and the gen ed teacher said the student should tell him that.

So she skyped him during Snack and had the student say it to her fiancee.

Is it just me, or is that really really... weird?

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 9, 2013

I think that depends on the school environment. Some of our kids know the SOs very closely here. My kids LOVE talking to my BF when he comes to see games. I use him in a lot in grammar sentences and talk about him on occasion. They all think they're getting invited to the wedding :lol: I wouldn't Skype him though. He'd hate it anyway!

My French teacher let us call her friend who also spoke French. We thought it was so cool! It was great practice for us.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 9, 2013

Well today was the first time they ever saw a picture of him - none of them have met him.

Just found it odd.

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2013

I don't see skyping a stranger to the child as much different as posting a FB picture of the child which would be frowned upon in many districts.

It is not the business of the SO to know who are students of the teacher. It is one thing if there is a public performance and the SO comes and ends up meeting some of the students or stops in after school to pick up the SO, but to Skype, I find risky to say the least.

I agree it is odd, bros.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2013

:yeahthat:

I left my phone on one day and my son called. I only answered because I figured it was something important. Since I tell so many stories about my family I had my class all say at once: "Hi, son's name!"

9. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Dec 9, 2013

I don't find it odd....I have pictures of my fiance and I on my desk and my students will ask who he is and I'll say "That's my friend x" and when we do morning sharing i'll tell stories about what fiancee and I did. If I'm being totally honest...I think after you spend so much time pouring your heart and soul into your classroom and getting to know everything about your students, it's nice when they get to know a little part of you too. Although I don't think I would skype with him, only because I doubt our school computers would even allow us to download skype, I have invited him to come read a story to the class and help out with different activities. He's never came...but that's only because he's a little scared of preschoolers :)

10. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 9, 2013

Yeah. Like in the afternoon class, my CT's sixth-grade son will stop by 2-3 times a week near the end of the day, as my CT arranged with the bus driver to have him dropped off at our school (as the bus is used by our school right after his)

So the kids have gotten to know him.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 9, 2013

Him and me both!

12. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 9, 2013

I actually do think it's a bit weird to waste school time calling a stranger to put a student on the spot to tell a man they've never met that they like his beard just because they made an off-hand comment.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 9, 2013

I think it's strange as well.

14. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 9, 2013

It was during snack after the student was done with their snack, but still.

15. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Dec 10, 2013

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with the occasional anecdote about a spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend but I think this is taking it way too far.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  16. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 10, 2013

Woohoo. Snow Day today.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 10, 2013

That's one of the nice perks of being a teacher. I can't let the kids know this, of course... but I totally look forward to snow days as much as they do.

So... how are you going to spend today making tomorrow's teaching go better? :)

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2013

Uh oh...make up day :-(

19. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 10, 2013

Most districts build in snow days. My district still has one more freebie this year, and I darned well want to make sure we use it... two years ago, we didn't use our snow days... the kids got out three days early... teachers had three extra days of professional development. WTF?

20. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 10, 2013

We get five days. We've used two so far.

21. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 10, 2013

Yesterday's cab ride home pretty much wrecked my voice - they sent the cab driver who smokes while waiting for me. Second I entered the cab after a 10 second from the school through the cold, I could taste the cigarette smoke smell, then my voice started getting bad. Better now, but still some mucus.

Honestly, probably going to eat lunch in a few, watch something on netflix or that I have DVR'd, then work on my portfolio for my capstone class.

Let's see. Checking the school calendar, it says we have three inclement weather days built in. This is the first used.

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 10, 2013

We have 8ish days built into our calendar for snow days. We can miss several days without making them up.

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2013

We have 2 built in. Daughter's school has used 3. My district used 2.

24. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Dec 10, 2013

Wow! Eight!?! That's quite a few. Has your school ever gotten close to using them all?

The district whose schools I attended didn't have any built in, and the school year always wound up getting extended by two or three days to make up for snow days. The school where I do my field work has three built in. We're really known for our snow here in Minnesota, so they do wind up getting used.

Enjoy the rest of your snow day, bros. :)

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2013

I lean toward this...but it really does depend of the teacher/class/community/etc.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2013

Bros...ate you taking a cab to and from school on a daily basis? Have you considered how much this will bite into your take home pay over time? The toll on your health?

27. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Dec 10, 2013

This is definitely something to think about.

Forgive me if this is a silly suggestion, as I have only skimmed the rest of this thread, but since your disabilities seem to be primarily fine motor in nature, are you able to ride a bike? Do you live in an area where it would be safe to ride a bike to work?

28. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 10, 2013

I take the taxi home Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

I take the taxi in Wednesday and Fridays.

Costs $10 including tip each way. It averages out to around $120 for 2 weeks (some weeks I have to take the taxi there/back more than others).

It only affects my health when I get the smoking cabbie. Usually he remembers not to smoke before picking me up. This time he didn't. Since it was just the stark contrast between the warm school air, to the frigid outside air, to the dry, smoky air inside the taxi.

I don't really have the balance for a bicycle. Or the endurance.

29. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2013

Bros...now that your student teaching is ending and you will be facing the prospect of interviewing, have you thought about what you will disclose to a prospective employer about your disabilities?

Have you begun practicing interview question responses?

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 11, 2013

Well, I travel 40 miles a day to and from work. I have to fill up my gas tank and I just had to buy new snow tires. Heck, I wish I could take a bus or a taxi to work!

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2013

A 40 mile taxi ride would cost much more than $120 for two weeks....probably another reason bros needs to stay close to home in his job search.

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 11, 2013

No, I'm just saying, in general he doesn't have to pay for gas and wear and tear on a car so the money would be spent eitiher way. He would have to budget money for those expenses like anyone else would.

33. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 11, 2013

A taxi would cost more than gas and wear and tear.

34. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 11, 2013

Well i've looked at some job applications online and a lot of them include the question "Can you perform all the essential job function(s) of the position(s) for which you are applying, with or without reasonable accommodation?" Yes/No, followed by "List any accommodations:"

That's why i'll have to look super hard to get a job near where I live. I can't travel that far to work.

Yeah. Going from my house to Newark Airport (~35 miles) is $85 before tip.

Unless I try to depend on the county transportation, which is $4 anywhere in county, which comes anywhere 2 +/- hours of when you schedule them to come

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 11, 2013

Are you planning on living in your current home forever or are you willing to get an apartment close to wear you find a job? If you found a job in a school a block or 2 from an apartment building would you consider moving there?

36. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2013

bros has stated earlier in the thread that he is unable to live by himself.

37. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 11, 2013

With over 1000 replies I don't remember seeing that. I'm sure he would forgive me.

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2013

I don't think I spend $120 on gas for my commute (just a bit arther than bros very local commute) or wear and tear in two weeks either. Cabs are ex$pensive...especially on sub or para pay.?..that's $3120 a year.

So what's your answer to that application question? Do you anticipate your answer might rule you out of some jobs?

Candidates look 'super hard' all over NJ for jobs, bros. The 'super hard' challenge will be convincing a district to hire you over the many others who are also applying for pared openings.

County transportation doesn't sound like a good plan...maybe car pooling?

39. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 11, 2013

Car pooling is an awesome idea cza cza.

I wish I could, I drive 51 miles one way to work. Right now with my Camry I spend about 220/month on gas. When I get the minivan in the spring...I'm scared to even compute it...

40. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Dec 11, 2013

What is he going to do when something happens to his parents then? No offense and this is not meant to be mean, but he will outlive his parents. What will he do then?