Student Teaching begins in a month

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by bros, Aug 5, 2013.

1. kevo2005

kevo2005 Companion

Dec 2, 2013

Just remember SMART.

Specific
    Measurable
    Action based
    Reasonable
    Time Based

Not sure allowing a 5 min error would be beneficial since the target behavior would be telling the correct time.
    Goal:
    In 36 instructional weeks, given a picture of a clock, student will accurately tell the time with 85% accuracy.

Then you could have objectives that build toward the goal.

Ex:
    In 18 instructional weeks, when presented a picture of a clock, student will tell the correct time within 5 minutes 85% of the time as measured by the sped teacher.

Your goal should be the desired outcome. Objectives can be "building blocks" so to speak.

2. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 2, 2013

I remember my old supervisor fondly by this.

"They say you're supposed to write "SMART" goals. What the heck does that mean? What does the A stand for again?" *someone tells her* "Oh, that's just stupid---what does that even mean? I hate acronyms, don't use them..."

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2013

You were not told to go or not go because you are not a child. They assume you know to GO! ;)

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 2, 2013

You really have not absorbed any of the 1000 posts here, have you?

5. kevo2005

kevo2005 Companion

Dec 2, 2013

Sometimes you have to KISS.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2013

Seems the same advice has been given time and time again....:whistle:

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 2, 2013

Same song and dance...different page of the thread...

8. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 2, 2013

Yes, Bros, go.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 2, 2013

I went for about 50 minutes of it (was there from 6:25-7:15, it goes till like 8 or so). It was enjoyable. Saw a lot of students. They were very happy about seeing me (but more happy that they got to see Santa). According to the SLP, the gen ed teacher in the morning came and left after about 10 minutes, but she hadn't seen either of my cooperating teachers.

(I decided to go shortly after making that post, I just was nervous about going a bit out of my comfort zone)

Today during prep, my [morning] CT was putting up holiday/winter decorations, then when the gen ed teacher left, was venting at me about how the gen ed teacher doesn't let her put much in the way of decorations, because she fears some students might be overstimulated.

True. I remember reading about SMART November 2009 or somewhere around there.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2013

Don't engage in gossip, bros. these teachers may be venting. Stay positive in your interactions.

Good decision on the concert.:thumb:

11. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 2, 2013

I was mostly nodding my head and going "mhmm" or "okay" and making mental notes of things when she was like "I need to remember this"

I think she was grumpy today because her back was on the verge of going out and she forgot her bag of stuff to help her back at home.

And because the para had to leave right after she did, leaving the gen ed teacher all alone for the afternoon.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2013

Glad you went.

13. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Dec 2, 2013

I'm glad you went bros. It's a big step for you to socialize.

14. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 2, 2013

I mostly stood around and watched, students would come up to me and say hi (I was standing near the entrance watching the sing-a-long in a position that would not interfere with parents taking photos/videos), I would respond, ask them how they are doing, their parents would say "Hi, i'm <student>'s <dad/mom/aunt/uncle/grandmother(or grandfather)/great-grandmother(or great-grandfather)>." I would respond "Hello, how are you doing?"

I did talk to every student in my classes that I saw, though. Their parents waved or said hello, at the least, to me. A few would see me, then whisper in their parent's ear, and run over to me and say hi. Got a few hugs too. It was fun.

15. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 3, 2013

Did you not introduce yourself to the parents? Strange man being greeted enthusiastically by my child, I'd like him to shake my hand and tell me who he is.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 3, 2013

For the ones whose children didn't already introduce me, I would introduce myself.

17. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2013

Congrats--Big 1st step--now think of the next step that you can make to become more social.

18. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 3, 2013

I don't know.

I suppose I should go to the board of ed meeting that is being held at the school the day before my last day of student teaching? A special video/slideshow was prepared for the board of ed, from what I heard, as this is the last stop of the Board of Ed on their yearly tour of the schools in the district.

19. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 5, 2013

Supervisor comes on Monday. Her last visit will be the week of the 16th

20. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Dec 6, 2013

What are you going to do on Monday to impress her?

21. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 6, 2013

My CT has already told me exactly what she wants me to do.

My afternoon CT told me some stuff I should add in anyway.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2013

What are those things? What things have you come up with on your own that you think will make you look competent and on top of things?

23. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 6, 2013

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

NO! This is YOUR lesson. This is YOUR placement. This is YOUR butt on the line if things don't go well. YOU'RE the one toeing the line between passing and failing, largely because you don't seem to actually be teaching much. Not your morning CT. Not your afternoon CT. You need to teach your own lesson. No offense, but I suspect that your morning CT could probably teach her own lesson better than you can. She's the one that designed it, after all, and she's probably taught it before. You need to show initiative, come up with an awesome lesson for the objective she gave you, and on Monday morning, present it to her and explain why you want to do whatever you've come up with. If she says no, it is her classroom, but at least you can show it to your supervisor with specific reasons why you were not able to do it.

:soapbox:

24. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 6, 2013

Exactly. Your response is way too convenient...if your lesson doesn't go well, you can just say "oh, that's what CT told me to do..." Please.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2013

This. This. And more of this!

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2013

:thumb:

Another reason why I surmise that not a lot of trust is being placed in the OPs abilities. Weeks ago he should have been handed the general units of study and given a bit of free rein in how to deliver those standards. It's not what has happened.

27. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Dec 6, 2013

I have no words. None. You clearly have absorbed nothing. :dizzy:

28. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 6, 2013

Indeed. And to add, if it goes poorly, it will become a blame game. If it goes well, then so what? You taught someone else's lesson the way they wanted it taught.

29. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 7, 2013

I'm only getting like ~15 minutes to teach the lesson

It's on probability.

Going to read a story my CT told me to read.

I know my morning CT has taught it before because before she tells me what she wants me to do, she turns to the gen ed teacher and goes "What did I do last year for this?"

At least my afternoon CT has been letting me actually make my own lessons and teach them, giving me loose guidelines (i.e. teach them about the country/state/town they live in and focus on map identification/skills)

Like next week i'll be doing a lesson on voting in the afternoon. I'll read a book, talk a bit about voting, then have them take a vote and put it in a box or bag, and then take a count of the vote.

I'll be doing a lesson on winter holidays in the afternoon.

The lessons usually go well, but they (the lessons) are so bland in the morning. Lessons that I actually have creative control over go over much better.

They have a curriculum they need to follow exactly for SGOs. Every Kindergarten teacher is teaching the same thing every day, though the worksheets or activities may differ.

What do you mean by I should've been handed the general units of study? That I should've been given a copy of the teachers edition for whatever subject?

They barely have enough to go around. I take copies of the manuals for doing my lessons

I have, I hate how my morning CT is forcing me to do lessons that I did not create and that I am not allowed to do lessons that I deviate from the book, even slightly. I've submitted ones that deviated from the plan in the book, and then my CT interrupts a minute into the lesson going like "so now are you gonna do x now?" "are you going to do y?" or she'll just stop while i'm doing something with them on the smart board, and tell them she's putting on a song.

30. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Dec 7, 2013

So again it's on the CT. It's not you. There is never any accountability on your part. Everyone else is at fault and you are blameless.

31. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 7, 2013

I will say that we have heard other stories where the ST is told exactly what to do and not allowed to deviate. I've seen it happen first hand.

With that being said, bros you should try everything possible to make the lesson your own.

32. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 7, 2013

I agree with this. My CT was totally scripted.

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2013

:unsure:

Good luck on Monday.

34. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 7, 2013

When you follow up with your CT about her interruption or change, what does the CT say? Why does the CT do this?

35. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 7, 2013

The very first lesson I taught as an intern, even though all of the lessons thereafter were designed by me, was actually designed by my CT (we were covering a little bit of geography in the beginning which was his forte) and I was picking up the lesson he taught for the first three cores during 4th core. And I tell you, teaching someone else's lesson feels like I'm wearing someone else's shoes! And they are 3 sizes too small! I was uncomfortable because the feel of the lesson, layout, etc is not the way I would prefer.

Bros, if you can modify it to your liking, do so. You will feel much more comfortable and it will show.

36. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 7, 2013

I don't know what you expect me to do.

Do you expect me to tell my CT that she needs to give me freedom with my lesson plans so I can fail teaching a concept when still in a supervised setting?

I can't. It just seems like it would be so rude to say that, especially since it is right near the end. I've tried to hint that throughout the semester, but yeah.

That's what i'm doing. Now that i've slept, i've been thinking of ideas to change the lesson up a little bit, or at least deviate from her plans slightly.

I only get told a week in advance what lessons to teach, which is when my CTs type up their weekly plans for the principal.

Yes, I can teach without manuals. I just like them as a.. guideline for what points need to be touched upon.

The classroom is an inclusion class, but my CT just runs math, then during Centers, I heard that she takes her low level groups and works with them. When the gen ed teacher is teaching, she'll usually just sit around the classroom, chiming in occasionally.

As I said before, she usually just assists when she is not teaching.

She says that is how she likes to teach the lesson and that the songs are how the kids learn.

During both of my prior field experiences, I taught lessons that, with a few exceptions, were created by me.

37. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Dec 7, 2013

Bros, I think what a lot of people here are trying to say is this:

Yes, it sounds like your placement is not an ideal situation and your morning CT is not giving you the liberties she should be with the material. However, you are not going to get very far by making excuses and placing the blame on your morning CT or anyone else.

What you need to do is everything possible to make the lessons your own, put your mark on them so to speak. If your CT interrupts and does not let you teach it the way you'd like and you are not comfortable standing up to her, make sure you show your supervisor the lesson plans you created so that s/he can see that you've made an effort. In addition, run with the liberties that your afternoon CT is giving you and when you are interviewing, place the emphasis on those lessons.

Whatever you do, do not play the blame game when you are interviewing for positions. All the interviewer is going to hear is that you are not going to take responsibility for yourself and are going to make constant excuses and that alone will probably deter them from hiring you.

Focus instead on what you can do to make your teaching style and approach shine through, even if you are teaching someone else's lesson.

38. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Dec 7, 2013

Also, I remember seeing in this thread that you are considering applying for sub and aide positions. Based on my own experience, I would recommend strongly considering an aide position.

Last year I worked as an aide in a self-contained special education classroom and it turned out to be an incredible learning experience. When I began, my classroom management skills were incredibly shaky and I was not terribly confident in myself. By the end of the year, I was able to run the classroom smoothly when the teacher was out and was often able to deescalate students before their behavior got out of hand. I also became much more confident in working with students both individually and as a group.

However, this did not come easily. I worked incredibly hard to show the teacher I worked with that I was competent and able to run the classroom in her absence. Throughout the year, she entrusted me with an increasing amount of responsibility and I did my best to run with that responsibility.

Granted, you may not work with a teacher as open as the one I worked with was, but if you express that your ultimate goal is to run your own classroom, it is likely that the teacher will be willing to work with you in developing the skill set you need to be successful in teaching. If you inspire confidence, you may even find many teachers are open to let you teach your own lessons occasionally.

So, my point is, consider finding an aide position that you can turn into kind of an extended student teaching experience. In my opinion, this would be an ideal way to hone the skills you need to be successful in the classroom.

Do be prepared with ideas for accommodations, though. I was expected to work with kids on small whiteboards, grade homework, and edit writing so make sure you are prepared to find a way to do these types of tasks.

39. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 7, 2013

I give my supervisor my lessons before I teach them, which is required by my college.

I do plan on emphasizing the lessons in the afternoon class during interviews. I would never blame someone else in an interview.

Yeah.

40. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 9, 2013

Teaching the lesson for my supervisor today. Hopefully it goes well.