Student Teaching and BURNED OUT

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FutureTeacher_1, Oct 30, 2011.

1. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2011

Hey everyone,

I have about 6 weeks left...I've taken over the classroom and I don't mind teaching daily. I love the kids, I've gotten perfect evaluations so far from my supervisor and co-op teacher.

So what's the problem? The superintendent is coming in tomorrow and he's visiting each classroom. I KNOW I will be just fine teaching in front of him...but I'm very close to letting my teacher take over tomorrow morning when he comes in. I'm sick of being watched with a microscope....so much of me doesn't want to be a teacher anymore. Last week, my principal observed me, we had a parent day where parents came in for 3 hours to do math with their kids as I taught and I also had my university supervisor come in.

I'm also down with a cold and running into debt since I can't even work part time anymore. It gets better than this right?

Should I teach tomorrow or let her take over?

Help. Someone motivate me! I feel burned out.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

Teach tomorrow. Knock his socks off. Make an impression on him so that he wants to hire you. Or pass your name onto other districts who are hiring if he isn't. This is an opportunity to shine.:thumb:

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

There are so many days when each of us doesn't feel like teaching.

Tops on my list was the day I was observed 3 years ago. I was in the midst of scheduling a pregnancy test that afternoon-- after 10 rounds of radiation.

Then there was last Thursday. My daughter was having some trouble on the middle school bus-- some of the "mean girls" were giving her a hard time. I called her guidance counselor, got off the phone, and burst into tears.

And of course, there are the days when I'm fighting a cold, or when one of my kids is home sick, or when there's snow in the air and the kids are crazy.

But teaching is more than my profession, the work I love 99% of the time. It's also my job. It's what I do so there will be food on the table.

Student teaching is your job. It's what you do so you'll be a strong teacher when things get rough. If there's a crisis in your life and you're unable to cope, let her take over.

But if you're battling a cold and worried about bills, I say you teach.

(And, for the record, a LOT of us worked part time as we student taught. Not working wasn't an option.)

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2011

He will likely just be in for a few minutes, right? I say that considering he's visiting each classroom. If this is this case, I would try to teach.

Things have been going well for you, and this would likely have your cooperating teacher thinking of you in even more of a positive light. We all remember the nerves...both will understand.

Additionally, I think evaluations and observations are only growing more involved, in-depth, and frequent...just something to get used to.

6. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 30, 2011

:thumb:

7. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 30, 2011

Are you student teaching at the Elementary, Middle, or High School level?

8. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2011

1st Grade!

Also, I was only going to have her cover for when he came in because if I mess up, this guy will raise hell for my teacher and principal who I really like..

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

There's no reason to mess up.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 30, 2011

Teach tomorrow but consider taking a sick day. I had bronchitis during my student teaching days and had to take off for two days so I didn't start a round of the plague in the school. It was actually a valuable thing to do because I had to learn how to make substitute plans, even if it was for my cooperating teacher.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

Agreed.

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2011

Definitely teach tomorrow- if someone higher-up wants to observe you, I'd consider that a good thing! I was always told in my credential program that if a P or other admin asked to see you teach, you should never turn that down because they're likely looking to hire you. I know what you mean about feeling like you're under a microscope- I hated that about my student teaching. I just wanted to be out and in my own classroom. Hang in there, it's not too much longer! I find that many of the things I felt "burned out" with in ST are not even relevant in "real" teaching- mulitiple page lesson plans, being observed constantly and having every little thing you do watched and questioned, having to write reflection upon reflection about every little thing you do, putting together portfolios for unversity classes, etc. Once you get out of that you can teach and stop doing all of the busywork to prove you know what you're doing!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

Oh, there's plenty of paperwork, writing plans, observations and "hoops to jump through" once hired as well.

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 30, 2011

Teach.
    Backing out isn't an option in your future classroom.
    Bite the bullet and do it.

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2011

Sure, but I find there were 10x more in my ST. In ST, I had to write a 3-5 page lesson plan for every single subject, every single day (I was in 3rd grade, so this would be 5-7 different lessons per day). I also had to write a 1 page reflection for every single subject, every single day on how that lesson went. On top of all those reflections, I had to write a 2 page journal entry reflection on how my day as a whole went. I was observed three times a week, every week. For each of those observations, I had to fill out a lengthy reflection form (4-5 pages) on how that lesson went, what I would change, etc. and have at least a 30 minute meeting with the observer to discuss it and get scored. I also had to organize all of this into a binder, although with several other required assignments including 12 anecdotal notes a day, an ABC behavior chart at least once a week, my thesis and research, articles read and reflections on those, examples of materials I used in lessons with descriptions on why I used them and how they were beneficial, etc. etc. etc. I have not experienced anything even close to those requirements in my "real" teaching.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

If there were a Like button, I'd click it.

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 30, 2011

:yeahthat:

and as cza posted, use this opportunity to shine :thumb: Think about all the great letters of recommendation you will receive

18. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Oct 30, 2011

Expect to be under a microscope your first year of teaching. My first year I was observed a lot. In the beginning I got nervous, but after a few times I got used to it and was able to fully focus on teaching my kids.
    Don't let this opportunity pass you by! Teach tomorrow even if you don't feel like it right now. You never know what opportunities could start for you from the Superintendent observing.

19. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2011

Thanks for the feedback and support everyone!

I think I'm going to exercise, take a shower, and call it a night. Everything will be fine tomorrow, I'm sure :)

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 30, 2011

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:​

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 30, 2011

Let us know how it goes!

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 30, 2011

Good for you! :)

23. WhoDatTeacher

WhoDatTeacher Rookie

Oct 31, 2011

Going through student teaching, it is nerve-wracking with all of the observations that you have to go through. It seems as though you are doing well with the reviews you have received from your coop teacher and supervisor, so you have nothing to worry about. It's normal to be nervous about observations but you can't let it affect you. No one likes to be looked at under a microscope. You have to remember as a student teacher that you are still a STUDENT! That being said, it's okay to make mistakes and not be perfect because you are still learning and will continue to learn later on in your career as a teacher as well. If you approach your observations with more of a "I'm gonna nail this" attitude and be excited to show whoever wants to observe you what you are capable of, then it will be much easier to handle the observations with ease.

24. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 31, 2011

Student teaching got really old really fast. I understand your feelings there. It's really hard to have what amounts to a full-time volunteer job. And if you're under the weather, that certainly doesn't help.

Just do the best you can do. I highly doubt the guy will be super hard on you. He'll know you're a student teacher. More likely, he'll be impressed.

Good luck!

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2011

I'm sure you'll do a great job. I think the important thing is that you get in there and do it. You aren't defeated until you give up.

26. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 1, 2011

He comes in for all of one minute, the P explains to him you are a s/t, and they leave to the next room... seen it before. It's not like they are hiring anyway, since they have a mountain of certificated layoffs to re-hire before even considering anyone.

Let her take over, if that's what you feel. :thumb: