Student Teaching 101

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ipse99, Apr 18, 2006.

1. ipse99

ipse99 Rookie

Apr 18, 2006

So I'm guessing it's different for different schools and states but how does student teaching work where you are? I'm new and I'm going to start taking a few classes toward my credential this summer but in the Fall I want to start my student teaching and there's two classes a student teaching A and B. The advisor told me A is 3 times a week from 8-12, it's kind of a intro to student teaching. I think it's mainly observation and then student teaching B is a full time deal for my second semester. Is that how your student teaching is structured? I didn't get a chance to talk more with my advisor about it but I'm not sure if I stay in same class all semester for each semester or if I change classes each semester to experience different grade levels? Can you give me a clue :D

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 18, 2006

I'm in CA too & I attend a Cal State University. In order to student teach (ST) at my school, there's a list of courses to complete & the passing of the CSET exam. My school's on the quarter system which is 11 weeks long. I have to do 2 blocks of ST to earn a credential. 1 block = 1 quarter, so it's 6 months of ST to earn a credential. I'm working on my 2nd credential right now & my MA. I got my special ed credential in December & I'll have my multiple subjects credential when this quarter's over. This should by my last quarter & I graduate this quarter! After I'm done, it's like I worked M-F for full school day hours for 1 whole year w/o getting paid since I'll have 2 credentials.

I never had to take a course that's strictly classroom observation.

4. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Apr 18, 2006

I'm also at a Cal State University school that sounds very similar to Ms. I. My school also follows the quarter system, and the entire credential program is intended to take 3 quarters (9 months). During the first quarter, you do not student teach. Each class requires at least 6 hours of observation, and almost all of your assignments are based on the observations you make. I observed in 4 different classrooms, and I use so many of the techniques I saw those teachers use, so it was valuable for me. Student teaching takes place during the second and third quarters of the program for 10 weeks each quarter. They encourage you to spend most of the first week observing, getting to know the classroom, students and teacher routines. My resident teacher last quarter was a great mentor, and she knew how to slowly ease me into teaching. I think that I was teaching about 70% of the time by week 4. I had full control by week 6. This is my last quarter, and I will be teaching almost 100% of the time by next week (week 3). I feel so much more confident when I begin my lessons this quarter. I was so scared at the beginning of the program! I have had a wonderful educational experience through my university.

I wish you much luck!!!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 19, 2006

Different programs, and different "blocks" or tracks within programs, handle student teaching different ways - some CSUs have programs that put you in the classroom for student teaching during the very first semester and others that hold off on student teaching till most or all of the credential coursework is done.

6. ipse99

ipse99 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006

Thanks. I'm on semester but mainly they let you decide when you take your courses. I do have to have my CSET done to ST. I'm going to try and finish my credential in a year taking a couple of classes this summer and probably next summer.

7. ktusten

ktusten Rookie

Apr 20, 2006

I will be starting next semester

and I am not pleased so far with my colleges way of doing things.

1. next semester is called "professional semester" where we take 30 credits worth of classes (3 days a week) and student teach 2 days a week.

2. the following semester is called student teaching where you teach all 16 weeks

The problem with this all is that they will only allow you to be in ONE CLASSROOM!!! Not sure how this gives you experiences or shows you diversity and I am trying my best to get two different placements (one for fall and one for spring) I do understand that you really get to know the students and the teacher but if the point of student teaching etc is to get experience I dont feel this is our best way to do it.

Ok I will stop my complaining but am looking forward to hearing how other schools structure their programs.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Apr 20, 2006

That sounds very similar to the way my school does it. Once you've completed all of your GER's (general ed. requirements) and all of your classes for your second major (ed. majors must have a 2nd major) you then go into your professional "block" semester. During that semester you take 15.5 credits (6 courses) and have 60 hours of field experience related to those classes. The semester after that is full time student teaching for 16 weeks. I really liked it because I did have some time to observe in other classrooms before student teaching and then during student teaching I was able to slowly take over teaching one subject at a time and then spend about 2 full months teaching all of the subjects everyday.

9. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Apr 21, 2006

Beth2004, did you take any credential courses before you earned your Bachelors? Just wondering...

Please note that my university seems to offer only one option of how to take your classes. And, during your first quarter student teaching, you are taking 19, yes, 19 units!! That quarter was INSANE. However, I found out after the fact that it is possible to take your classes in a different order if necessary. You really have to ask the right people to find this out. Ktusten, make sure you ask around and investigate all options (it sounds like you are already doing that, but just in case :) Also, make sure that you are getting what you want to get out of your university. You are paying for it, and you want to be a successful teacher. I chose my university mostly because it was all I could afford, and I worried that less expensive meant sacrificing my education. Thank goodness that isn't true! If you aren't getting what you want, look for a new place to spend your money!

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Apr 21, 2006

In order to earn my BSE I took all of my gen. ed. requirements, plus 39 credits towards my second major (which I don't technically receive a BS in, but that's another story!) and during that time I had to take my intro to ed. course which involves 40 hours of observation. Once all of that is done I had to take one of the state tests in order to be admitted to the "professional ed" program. Once admitted to that I took all of my methods courses in one semester. Then I had to pass the other 2 state tests in order to student teach, student taught for a semester and then graduated with my BSE and was ready to be licensed in Massachusetts. So, yes, everything that I needed to become licensed was done before earning my Bachelor degree. :)

11. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Apr 27, 2006

I guess I'm lucky! I go to Westfield State College in Westfield, MA. We have such a great education department. I have had many opportunities to try different grades. I have done 2 15 hour observations, both in several different grades, 2 30 hour pre-practicums, both in new grades, an apprenticeship in a new grade, and currently I am in my student teaching (practicum) in a brand new grade. So far I have been in 1, 2, 3, and 4. I have observed from grades 5 up to 12. All of these experiences have been in different settings and economic levels (urbun, suburban, rural.) I have been observing since my second semester freshman year and teaching since my first semester junior year. Anyone who isn't getting enough experience, come to WSC! I think it's the best school ever for future teachers!

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2006

Ms I- BTW, has it gotten any better?

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 27, 2006

Thanks for asking MissFrizzle! My CT's been better. I think my CT is seeing that I'm just a genuinely nice person who's studying very hard for my exam to get my master's degree. I think he knows that I'm trying to do the best I can under my circumstances of always being busy around the clock (not that I'm not doing all I'm supposed to). Maybe it takes him a while to get used to people. At one point, he even said I'm too nice. I think he said that because he finds my personality refreshing & unique (not to be egotisical!) I must say that he's been pretty understanding by not having me do as much work w/ the class as I could be doing, so he must have a bit of compassion. I don't start any conversations that don't have to do w/ school or education though!

When this is all over, I'll probably get him a $10 gift card to Barnes & Noble because I know he goes there a lot. It's mainly to show my appreciation for his understanding that we all need a break at times when our lives are extremely hectic!

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2006

That's a major improvement in things! Good! Enjoy the final days and good luck

15. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Apr 30, 2006

Hello, I am new, but I am in Cali, too. I attend a private University and we have 3 months-12wks full time of ST and they have to be in 2 different grades for Multi subject, primary(1-3) part and upper(4-6) part. My program is cred and master. ST is at the end and all test CSET, RICA and Cbest must be done before you even get placed. Which is 3 months before ST. We also do observations during every class.

16. thecottage

thecottage Guest

May 13, 2006

Are there any good books on surviving student teaching? I am looking forward to that, but it probably won't be until Spring 2008, for me, depending how fast I can complete the prereqs., maybe Fall, if I can take an extra class during the summer.

17. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 26, 2006

I went to my school library (its a state college in MA most schools should have it- its popular) and it has an excellent book called Teaching Esme. A lot of it is tongue in cheek, but it is worth looking at. I am going to be student teaching and my schedule is the same as Beth 2004. I am doing my 40 hours fieldwork Fall 06. Then I will work on my second major requirments and a few more GER's (3 or 4) Spring 06 then hopefully Fall 07 I will be student teaching. I have read a couple other student teaching books, but I cannot remember the titles, just go to the education section at any local college and you should find some good ones.

18. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

May 26, 2006

Great Book

I have read "Educating Esme" by Esme Raji Codell, is this the same book? If so excellent book, talk about a motivated person...

19. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 27, 2006

Oh shoot! I knew I got it wrong! That is it, I loved that book. I am presently reading chicken soup for the teachers soul and another chicken soup book that is much smaller a dedication of sorts to teachers and that is really good too. ( I just bought it at a yard sale) I know it is not really what you are looking for, but they are good!

20. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

May 29, 2006

Sorry if this is a bit off subject, but a team mate from school, bought all of us "A taste of Chicken Soup for the Teacher's soul" from Dollartree. It is a short version of "Chicken Soup for the Teacher's soul". This is a great way to try the book and give it to someone when you are low on $$$. Or for those of us who are reading too many text books and test prep books, and we just get a little break.:)