Student Teachers

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Little Monster, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Little Monster

Little Monster Rookie

Apr 24, 2010

Just curious how other subs work with ST in the classroom. Normally I am great with them doing their thing since they know the class and the routine better then I do. I think often enough the ST is excited to have the opportunity to kind of run things for the day without the CT or an observer from the university.

Then I have times where I have ST like the one I had this week. She was out of the room as much as she was in it. When she was in the room she was constantly trying to undermine what I was doing despite what the teachers notes said regarding things like the schedule and administrating lessons. She's worse then the students that say; "that's not how miss so-and-so does it," constantly.

Well, I took a three day assignment with this one classroom. Thursday was rough, not for me but for the ST. By the end of the day she had managed to write just about every kids name on the board, which I had to put in a note for the teacher. One kid ended up with a conduct (4 conducts = suspension). Second day was better since the ST was out of the room about all but an hour and a half of the day. Still, when she was in the room names just flew on to the board. The reason so many names go up is because she doesn't follow through with what she does, name on the board is a warning, a check is last warning, two checks is where thing start to happen... she never actually makes it to two checks for any kids and they know this by now.

So I talked with the teacher who happens to also have me as a preferred sub. I think she was worried I would not come back. She told me that Monday should be a lot better since the ST will no longer be in the class. She also told me that the ST has a real problem with classroom management. I couldn't agree more. everything that the teacher told me was freely offered as I did not say anything about the ST or not coming back (I love the class, I will always be back).The ST actually came to me after reprimanding a student to tell me that, "if he gets in trouble once it just leads to a bad day all day, so I just leave him alone for the most part". Not me... and guess which kid has not been a problem for me ever since...

This ST was just an all around difficult person. She was rude, stand-offish, and undermining. Well, she tells me that she is not looking for a job outside of Michigan, so I guess that we don't have to worry about her in a classroom of her own anytime soon.

I guess Monday I have something to prove since I will be on my own with the class. Honestly, I am quite certain it will be a breeze of a day.

3. waffles

waffles Companion

Apr 25, 2010

I go in and ask what they want me to do. I certainly don't want to take away from then teaching anything, but at certain points in their class all they're supposed to do is sit back and observe.

4. Little Monster

Little Monster Rookie

Apr 25, 2010

yup. I always ask when I arrive and check the teachers lesson plans to see if they have any ST things that they want them to do. ST is a little different where I live in that the local university requires two semesters, one is more of the sit an observe and the second is the actual practice of running the room.

5. amaran20

amaran20 Rookie

Apr 25, 2010

When I was student teaching, I always wanted to try out running the whole day myself when there was a sub, but my CT would usually know when she would be out and would go over what to do the day before. I only subbed in a classroom with a ST once, and I just let her do the whole day and helped out with crowd control or with individual students.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 25, 2010

I don't think there is a "way" to do it, particularly when the ST is not good. I actually had a thought on this, because I subbed in a class where I and another sub were in the same classroom (this class has a regular teacher plus an RSP sub for a couple periods a day).

This lady was really defensive and judgemental with the students, and very quick to try and be tough with the kids (when it wasn't necessary to do).

I really dislike having another adult in my room, even regular teachers in that school. Partly I guess cuz I know that I can handle most any situation that comes up (the only time I LOVE having someone else is in Special Ed rooms, cuz obviously they know the routine much better), but I think you just gotta go with the flow for that day.

7. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 25, 2010

I've never subbed in a room with a student teacher. In both of the districts that I sub in ther student teacher subs for the CT.

8. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 25, 2010

I've only subbed with STs twice. Both times I asked them what they wanted to do and both times they opted to run the class. Either way is fine with me. I'm not on any power trip, but if they're not comfortable, I'm the one getting paid, so I'll do the work.

As an aside, the very first day I showed up for my second ST assignment, there was a sub in the room. She actually said to me, "Student teacher is a teacher, right? So I don't have to do anything today?" It was my first day in that class, school and grade level. I had no idea what was what or how to control fifth graders (previous placement was in 2nd.) Fortunately the dept head rescued me and left the sub to do her job. I decided never to put that kind of pressure on anyone else.

9. waffles

waffles Companion

Apr 26, 2010

Of course, then there are the student teachers who said they want to do everything but have no control over the classroom, never follow through on punishments, pretty much everything I was told not to do at my orientation.

I had one of those and it sucked because I didn't want to undermine her authority since she was there every day. But oh well, I just sat back and drew/wrote some stuff all day.

10. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Apr 26, 2010

The only time I have had a ST she was lefted with a lesson from the teacher and my notes just said that I(meaning teacher) have a student teacher with me and she will teach. Your job is disipline. Help them focus on her and listen to her lessons then when they are individually working go around and help any that may need them. Pretty much that was the day. It was almost like being in a special needs class with as an aide all day. I sat with the class like normal. That particular ST told me at the start of the day that her professor was coming at so and so time to observe her. So, we both had a talk to the class about how to behave when vistors are in the room and how if they really liked ST(which they all did) then they would want her to do a good job. Etc.. She presented a good lesson and even asked for my feedback as to what I thought after it was over.

11. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 26, 2010

That's great...looks like you worked well with the ST and vice versa. I'm glad you had a productive session.

12. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Apr 27, 2010

Well my only experience with this is as the student teacher. While I was student teaching I lead all the lessons and maintained classroom discipline. I would have been left to sub except that it isn't legal in my state. Our subs were told to bring a good book, because their job was to be an approved adult in the room. One day I was teaching and had a sub. The only thing she did all day was bring me a cup of tea because my voice was going. But she knew that she would be sitting when accepting the job.

Also I was very comfortable with teaching and classroom management when I first started, so that may have a lot to do with the way things went.

13. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Apr 27, 2010

Been the sub 3x this year with a ST in the room...ST ran the class the entire time, and I was just in the wings running out to make copies, hand work out, etc....3 easiest days subbing ever, but it is a bit of a bore

14. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 28, 2010

I was witha student teacher today - halfway through the day I noticed I was reprimanding the kids (for things like throwing things, nearly pushing a computer off the desk, etc..) But at this point, that's her job. So I took out a book and..laid it in front of me. I don't know how subs can just read when there is a ST, though i know most say that's what they do. I just can't feel comfortable reading while I'm technically in charge
    The ST noticed I was trying to stay back and told me to go ahead and read the book, while she set some students near me to work. Still couldn't do that though.