Student Teacher

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by DJensen22, Mar 29, 2010.

1. DJensen22

DJensen22 New Member

Mar 29, 2010

Hello everyone! I am currently in a teacher preperation program. I chose to be a teacher because I love children and I love helping people. I love school and I love my field experince. Until now I had no doubts about wanting to be a teacher. However, I am finding myself becoming overwhelmed. Assessing, classroom management, differientiating instruction, collaboration... these are all things effective teachers need to do and do them well. I am starting to wonder if I can live up to these expectations. These children diserve nothing but the best and I am wondering if I can provide that.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 29, 2010

The honest truth is that you can't provide it all, the first year - but neither could anyone else, the first year. Teaching is a profession one grows into.

4. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Mar 29, 2010

Like groupie said, you can't possibly expect to do it all your first year. Heck, your first day you'll be lucky to get one of those things done but you'll get there.

I'm still a first year teacher and there are days that I know I wasn't as effective as I could have/should have/would have liked to be but I think recognizing that and taking a proactive stance is more than half the battle.

I already have ideas for what I want to do next year! For instance, my class is very behind in science and soc. studies (chapter 3, yikes!) and although my principal told me that when she taught my grade last year she did 1 chapter from each and that was it, I know that I didn't meet my standards. Next year I have ideas for how to budget my time better and I almost can't wait to get started with that. For now, I'm plugging along and have just accepted that I did the best I could. Next year will be better.

Take it one step at a time and make small goals to achieve. Reflect about the changes you'd like to make in the future and then enact a plan to help you get there!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2010

Tatoo that onto your forehead-- it's the best advice you'll ever get.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2010

:love:BREATHE...the paperwork, assessment, meetings, CAN be overwhelming, even for seasoned teachers. Find yourself some colleagues with whom you connect and respect and 'follow their lead'. Many districts provide a mentor, my district had 'new teacher' monthly meetings under my former principal which were quite helpful, supportive...you'll be ok.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2010

It sounds like you are still doing your student teaching, right? If so, your CT can help you out. That's what that whole experience is about, and is the reason why you practice before jumping into a classroom. No one expects you to have it completely figured out right now, and if you expect that too then you are doing yourself a disservice because even in your first year you won't have it figured out. Just learn what you can, seek to improve and relax.

8. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Mar 30, 2010

HA HA I was just picturing myself with that tattooed on my forehead... I need it too but it was a funny picture! :spitwater:

9. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Mar 30, 2010

oh and these people are right. There are many MANY times during my first year (still in it... only 2 more months) where I have felt as though I was drowning in responsibility. There is so much you COULD do, so much you SHOULD do... but there is also so much you WILL do in the future once you get the hang of the other things.

10. DJensen22

DJensen22 New Member

Apr 1, 2010

Thank you everyone for the good advice :)

11. Spark

Spark Rookie

Apr 2, 2010

The only reason you feel overwhelmed is that your scope is too large. You are trying to throw the ball 100 yards. You should try and make a 1 yard toss first. Set small achievable goals that build up to you ultimate goal.
    Also, set up a support system to help keep you positive and accountable.

12. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Apr 2, 2010

I'll add my own 2 cents in. I feel overwhelmed everyday when I'm student teaching and feel average at best. My classroom management is average (I would grade myself a C), and on top of that I feel as if the principal, mentor teacher, and the faciliator who observes me want me to be this vetern who knows his stuff and will just show them and the kids this "wow" factor. I'm sorry but I'm not there and I probably won't be there for a few years. But in this day and age, it seems like every teacher needs to be there.

There is just too much stuff to handle and on top of that, the teachers in the school I'm at are stressed as heck because Texas's standardized test known as the TAKS test is next week and if their kids don't do good, then their scores will suffer and the principal will start to question the ability of the teachers teaching concepts correctly.

Teaching wasn't like this when I was in the upper elementary grades in the early 90's. I don't think the teachers I had were feeling any pressure as the teachers of today do. The more I see, the more I just shake my head and think this isn't for me. I don't mind helping students with their work, but there is just too much junk to deal with. This is beyond a regular job.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 4, 2010

At the start of my student teaching experience, I didn't have a whole lot of experience working with children (I had little subbing experience & the only other hands-on time I had was doing the required field work prior to student teaching). Anyway, if I had to rate my competency and effectiveness at the beginning of my student teaching, I'd say I was a 3 out of 10. By the end of the five months, I'd say I was at least an 8 out of 10! I learned so much and took away so many wonderful things from my Master Teacher. Now that I've been teaching for five years, it's such a great feeling to reflect on how much I continue to learn each year!

A few months ago, my Master Teacher came to visit me & couldn't stop smiling as she looked around at my classroom. She said she felt like a proud mama.