Student Teacher with a question

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Teacher coach, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Teacher coach

Teacher coach Rookie

Jul 1, 2013

Hi folks. I will be student teaching in Fall of 2013 and I plan to attend staff development and teacher work days leading up to day 1. What can I expect from these days and how should I dress during these days (I'm a Physical Education instructor). Thanks!

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 1, 2013

Show up a few days before contract and ask your CT. Then dress a bit nicer than that.

4. Teacher coach

Teacher coach Rookie

Jul 1, 2013

Thanks! I plan on getting with CT a few times before school starts to learn about schedule, disciplinary action, and learn about her teaching philosophy.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2013

Wear comfortable casual clothing to the first meeting. Don't dress up, but look coordinated. The principal will be there and sometimes higher-ups show up to greet staff and make announcements.

6. Teacher coach

Teacher coach Rookie

Jul 1, 2013

Ok, thank you.

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2013

You probably will be helping set up the classroom and/or sitting around listening to a long meeting. Dress comfortably with clothes you will not be heart broken if they get messed up.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2013

I actually do think that you should dress up, at least to the point of business casual. Khaki or dress pants, a button-up shirt and tie or a knit top (not sure if you're a man or woman), that sort of thing. The first few days of your first teaching experience is not the time to be wearing jeans, track suits, shorts, or loungewear.

9. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 2, 2013

I'm agreeing with Caesar - perhaps Khakis/Dockers and a nice button-down shirt (short- or long-sleeve, depending on weather). Tie should be your discretion. Look polished.

Maybe bring a polo shirt and pair of nice jeans in your car. This way, should you be asked to help set up the classroom (move desks, furniture, dust, etc.) then you can ask if it's okay to go and change into "more appropriate clothes".

Cover your bases and have a great first day! :)

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 2, 2013

I would agree that you should talk with the CT if you aren't sure of the expectation. My experience with STs is that they often dress up a little more than I do, but that is understandable because they are trying to make an impression. I will probably wear shorts for our in-service days, and my ST is welcome to do the same if she is comfortable doing so.

11. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Jul 2, 2013

I agree.

When your student teaching is over, you're going to be looking for a job and asking for references. This is your chance to make a great first impression for both.

12. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 2, 2013

You have been given great advice: talk with your CT, and don't dress down too much. Look put together, remain professional. :) Good luck, and welcome to student teaching!

13. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 2, 2013

I say dress up business casual for the meetings that you attend. The first impression goes a long way, and student teaching is a four month long interview. Make that first impression a great one.

However, I would bring some more comfortable clothes with you to keep in your car. If you are assisting the PE teacher in setting up for next school year, you will definitely want to be comfortable.

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 2, 2013

I'm glad they actually invited you. I felt like I was irritating the school when I was calling to see if they would like me to come in the day before. They told me just to come the 1st day.

15. Teacher coach

Teacher coach Rookie

Jul 2, 2013

Thanks! These are all great ideas and I'm glad I joined this forum. I look forward sharing ideas with all of you.