Student Teacher Offered a Job at the Intern School...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by SweetMsNC, Jan 20, 2007.

1. SweetMsNC

SweetMsNC Rookie

Jan 20, 2007

Hi everyone!
    I am student teaching at a school that is considered "at risk" due to not meeting standards. The school has a high minority and low income student population. I love my CT, and we get along great. Yesterday, the principal offered me a job at the school next year at the same grade. Another teacher is moving away and there will be a vacancy. Everyone has been telling me to avoid these types of schools during my first couple of years due to the pressures.

The pro's of working there would be: I love the kids, I want to use the incentive of working there and having the district pay for my masters, I think that it would be a great learning opportunity for me, and the district offers a hefty sign on bonus and more pay.

The con's: the scripted programs, the pressure at working at this type of school, the distance from my house, the lack of parental support.

Has anyone eer been in this type of situation? Any advice?

3. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Jan 20, 2007

I've never been in this situation but I personally think you are the only one who knows if this is right for you. If you love the kids and think this would be a good opportunity then maybe you should seriously consider it. If your heart isn't 100000000% in it, don't. If you do it solely for the benefits - sign on bonus, pay, masters funding, etc. then your won't be "in to it" like someone who signed on because it's their passion. I hope I don't come off sounding rude. I just believe we each control our own destiny and part of that is following your gut :)

4. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jan 20, 2007

I work at a school that has low parent involvement, we didnt pass our no child left behind we are 70 percent poverty and I love love love my school. I leave each day with the satisfaction of knowing those children who have nothing spent the majority of their day with someone that loves them. I have children who go home to nothing but an empty house and no one there to give them support. I teach here because I know that I am the person that loves them. It is hard and you have to become a better teacher, mother and friend each day but that makes me a better person. Like the poster said above its only you who knows what is right for you, and some people like to be in a school with support and kids who have everything but my heart is with these children. The pay out is amazing when this kids hug you and write you little letters and tell you that they wish they were with you all the time.

Where in NC do you work? I work in the largest county in NC and they support us very well. The incentives can help alot. Just make sure you aren't doing it just for the incentives. Also the program could make your life miserable. I work at a school with a diffrent program and we have lots of teachers leave because its to much for them. So make sure the program is for you. Hope this helps a little.

5. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Jan 21, 2007

I have been in this situation, and i toook the job. it was the best experience of my life. i stayed for 2 years and was able to get a job anywhere i wanted. good luck.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 21, 2007

From some one who sent out over 200 resume packets in two years TAKE THE JOB! You didn't even have to send a resume out. TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT! Get a year or two under belt and you can move on if you don't fall in love with the school and staff.

7. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jan 21, 2007

I also teach in a similar school...but I love it! The children there are actually politer to me and very willing to work...and actually ask for homework! They are really ready to learn. But like an earlier poster said, make sure you research your programs and get lots of information...make sure you're comfortable with it.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2007

It sounds like this:
    Pros: you love the job
    Cons: you're going to have to work hard.

Most things we value take some work. Elementary ed positions in most parts of the country are impossible to find.

Take the job.

9. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jan 21, 2007

I think someone already asked you this, but what part of NC?

10. SweetMsNC

SweetMsNC Rookie

Jan 21, 2007

Thanks everyone for the advice. I live in NC, and am student teaching in the Charlotte Mecklenburg School system. I love the kids, and it is really gratifying to work with these population of kids. The scripted programs are very time consuming. That, by itself has given me doubts about taking the position. I just really need to think about this. Again, thanks for the advice!

11. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Jan 21, 2007

Oh my my! Not Charlotte. It is known to be a horrible district with bad leadership, though I heard it is starting to get better.. I do believe you can shine..you are doing so right now. That is a tough choice to make. I teach in Wake County, the supposed "golden county" and am learning the ropes...you have more difficulties stacked against you than most. YOu are awesome! As for elementary jobs, right now in NC there are plenty of jobs thankfully but it may require moving. If you like the area and have roots, it would be a nice place to stay for a year and see how you like the school system as a FT teahcer.

12. SweetMsNC

SweetMsNC Rookie

Jan 21, 2007

Thanks so much amedinaoh! The positive part of staying would be that I am settled into the school and the staff. My CT is grade chair and I work so well together. I know that Charlotte has a bad rep. However, I can't afford to go to another district b/c more pay is offered in Charlotte (Trust me I have thought of it) I have so many school loans to repay. Charlotte just got a new super. so hopefully things will improve. Fingers crossed.....

13. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jan 22, 2007

Well, I think there are things like that in all counties (good and bad), but I'm also in CMS and love it.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 22, 2007

You have a wonderful opportunity. It sounds like you're leaning more toward the positive. If it turns out to not be a fit for you, you can search for another school next year (plus you'll have that year of experience to show for it). A scripted program can turn out to be a blessing your first year teaching. Plus you're familiar with the staff and the programs.

15. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 22, 2007

I'd go for it. You have all summer to plan your BBs, get your supplies, make copies now of things that your CT has that you want to use, so you won't bother her quite as much next year. Also we never know what tomorrow brings, she might not be there for some reason.
    Start organizing for next year. Buy a file box cheap at Wal mart and start putting your copies in it. You will be so busy when you have your own room you won't have time to dig and look here and there and go digging in a pile of papers.

Ask her for a copy of her beginning of school letter and etc. Get whatever supplies that you want to work with this summer now.

Wow! How exciting. You even know what size your room will be. Measure your bulletin boards, so when you are working you know exact size. Take pictures of the classroom.

I think a classroom library is a must. Start buying cheap books at the thrift shop, Salvation Army stores, garage sales. Level them as you buy them and put your name on them and everything else you buy. You won't remember if it's yours or the schools when you go to leave.

What grade will you be teaching?
    Good Luck and Best Wishes.

16. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Jan 22, 2007

I am so grateful to my mentor teacher...from when I was interning. I think the best thing I did for myself was to make a copy of every file she had and then some.

I was in the same position where I took the job at the school I was interning at. I didn't have to work so hard because this was considered an 'A' school where most parents had everything to give to the teachers including help with their children. But now I am at a school where not only the parents don't help, I don't even have someone on my grade level to talk to. (I work at a small private school, and I am the only grade one teacher). So my advice would be no matter what choice you will make I still suggest to make copies of everything... even if you have to pay for it. Oh and if you are feeling comfortable with interning at this school I think you would be ok with working there full time as well. Good luck with everything!

17. SweetMsNC

SweetMsNC Rookie

Jan 22, 2007

Thanks everyone!! I will go to Big Lots tomorrow and buy a big storage bin. Hopefully this will save me from a lot of work next year.