Student teacher needs help with a lesson plan, please!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherperson, Sep 23, 2016.

1. teacherperson

teacherperson Rookie

Sep 23, 2016

I'm student teaching third grade and I'm going to be teaching the cardinal directions. To do that, I have a worksheet that has a map of Mexico that shows the directions that someone has taken while traveling throughout the country. The students have to label each part of the path as going North, East, South, or West. We're going to do it together as a class and to make it more engaging, I thought I could make up a story to go along this person's travels through Mexico. But I don't know what to put in the story. Do you have any ideas? Also, I was thinking of showing pictures of the places that the person traveled to, would that be a good idea, or would that be too much?

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2016

I *am* a third grade teacher who is currently teaching about cardinal directions & this sounds very interesting so I'm going to follow and would very much love a copy of what you plan.
    ;):handfist::thumbs:

4. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 23, 2016

I would just use any major cities, towns, or places of interest to put in the story. Plus its easy to find pictures of those items.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2016

It would certainly be authentic! Just make sure the focus still remains on the learning target, and it sounds like you'll be fine. Great opportunity to get them up and moving around, too.